PDA

View Full Version : Begin the stupid questions!!!

rob16v
20-10-2006, 00:43
Ok time to start fixing things and as i'm new to this stuff daft questions will also be asked!

Firstly The suspesnsion on my car is waaay too low. I'm looking to use this as a road car and it scrapes off everything and the edinburgh speed bumps are a nightmare.

The rear torsion bar seems straight forward enough and I'll have the help of a renault mechanic on that one. However I'm not sure how to adjust the front coilovers. I was told they were adjustable for ride height. They are a gaz kit. I can put up a pic if this would help.

Also the strut tops are too slack and can be moved by hand (not good lol). If i tighten these from the top will the shock not just spin round? If so how do i remedy this problem?

Any help would be great

BristolSam16v
20-10-2006, 08:17
Not sure about adjusting the coilovers, but when you say the strut tops are slack, do you mean you can open the bonnet and just grip them by hand and turn them :S

To tighten them you need to use an allen key and a swan neck spanner!

PS never had coilovers so may be different for yours :S

rob16v
20-10-2006, 09:47
yeh u can twst the strut tops around by hand :?

BristolSam16v
20-10-2006, 10:17
yeh u can twst the strut tops around by hand :?

haha woops I've never tried :oops:

stew
20-10-2006, 10:38
rob16v - u at heriot watt? if so which year? i think i mite know who u are.

ur top mounts will / should tighten up with either allen key/socket in the middle, and 21mm swan neck spanner. use the allen key to hold the middle, while tightening the mount with the spanner.

i dont have my clio in edin anymore as there are just too many speedbumps for a slammed track car with a side exit exhaust.

torsion bar is a peice off piss - unless it seized. i would offer to help, but im really busy the next months leading up to xmas.

rob16v
20-10-2006, 10:40
yeh at the good old hairy twat lol jus started 4th year although should have graduated last year but drank too much lol. is urs the valver with the white willy wheels i sometimes saw in the car park?

stew
20-10-2006, 10:41
yeah. its a hybrid (f7r 1998cc williams engine). i now drive a polo day to day car :cry:

rob16v
20-10-2006, 10:43
Yeh i remember seein it looks v sweet! U prob wouldnt even get it into uni the now with the new speed bumps. One of the reasons why I'm raising mine lol. What polo is it u drive?

stew
20-10-2006, 10:59
lol

yeah.

speed humps before the carpark for "lowered suspension". very clever. :roll:

i drive a shit green P reg mrk4 polo.

stew
20-10-2006, 11:03
rob 16v - have a look in local meetings and events.

rob16v
20-10-2006, 11:39
i'd love to go but i doubt i'd get the time off work :( also goin to prague at the beginnin of next month for a piss up so money is v tight at the mo would def like to make it along to somethin tho even if i have to turn up in the Swedemobile lol

rob16v
21-10-2006, 01:29
had another look at the coilovers the day think i'll need to grip the top with a socket an use a swan neck spanner on the other part.

also had a look at my gearbox and found that it was the linkage that was making it crunch all the time. THe previous owner hadn't bothered to adjust it properly after puttion new subframe on. Now jus to to replace a driveshaft seal and renew the oil and hopefully all will be well!

Lunner
21-10-2006, 09:41
yo raise the coilovers there will be a collar the the bottom of the spring and hte body of the coilover will be threaded, just move this up and down to adjust height.

For the tops i always use an impact gun, since i lent my swan neck spanner out and it walked

rob16v
21-10-2006, 10:42
cheers dude i'll get a look at them the morn jus hoping for some decent weather when im off work so i don't det drenched workin on it lol

donsrno1
23-10-2006, 00:06
just seen this now, good to see another edinburgh member. I live just up the road from heriott watt in currie, so I'll keep an eye out for when you get the motor up and running. What course you doing at the hairy twat?

rob16v
23-10-2006, 09:17
in 4th year mech eng the now. too much maths and it hurts my head lol. Drivin a big red volvobus to uni an back the now sooner i get the clio on the road the better lol

donsrno1
23-10-2006, 12:32
nice one, I'm doing mech eng at edinburgh uni. One of my mates would have been on your course at HW though, guy called niall - don't know if you know him at all?

Also where do you work? Just wondering incase I know who you are, lol.

rob16v
23-10-2006, 13:42
technically i should have graduated already but i drank too much in 3rd year an had to resit a couple of bits an bobs. Have worked at Halfords seafield, Next craiglieth and now workin at odeon cinema fort kinnaird.

donsrno1
23-10-2006, 18:32
ok, I just wanted to check because theres someone at my work at heriot watt doing mech eng I think, but he is only about 2nd year afaik.

rob16v
09-11-2006, 16:49
Ok finally had more time to work on the car today. There's a couple of things up on the drivers door. When i put the window right down it doesnt seem to go down straight and there is a black peice of plastic at the top corner of the window the seems to pop out the runners. I have removed the door card but can't see what to adjust.

Also there seems to be play in the bottom hinge of the door is there an easy fix for this i don't think i can tighten the bolt any more would a washer in the hinge sort it?

Cheers

Chris H
09-11-2006, 18:57
the seal or the plastic on the window will be broken.

thje hinge pin will be worn, see if it will unscrew, if it will then get another pin, if it won't live with it.