PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out/Very low idle

dan-hipgrave
18-10-2006, 20:49
For the first 30secs after starting my car if I leave it idling then pull away it will be fine, but if i start it and drive then it will idle at 500-600rpm when i dip the clutch and sometimes because its idleing so low it will cut-out...

Thought a new battery had solved it but apparently not as it cut-out twice on the way home from work today!

Have replaced HT leads & spark plugs. Cleaned ICV. Brand new throttle body. Cleaned connections on dizzy cap and rotor arm (only 2500 miles old anyway), have checked all earths are ok and also checked the earthing on the sensor connected to the speedo cable just behind the instrument cluster (road speed sensor?) as was told it could be that too...I have a brand new fuel pump (not fitted yet) if that might be the problem?

Any help much appreciated as its annoying and has been going on for months now...

Jimmie1.4RT
18-10-2006, 21:21
Possibly the lambda sensor?

Mine was doing that, jus replaced the lambda and its fine now. The plug can get corroded on them and might just need cleaning up. I was also told to try cleaning the sensor in lemon juice, apparently it cleans up the surface. :)

Andyvalver
18-10-2006, 21:28
Could be the road speed sensor. :?

When its idling very low, if you turn off the car and start it up again does it return to normal? Then when you drive away and dip the clutch it happens again?

VIPERONE
18-10-2006, 22:10
check the following;

The iscv clip
The Iscv itsself

does the car kangaroo for fist 1 mins of driving??? does the fault rectify itself after the first 10mins?

if so its lambda sensor.

VIPERONE
18-10-2006, 22:11
Could be the road speed sensor. :?
?

ive only ever known them to idle high.

also may be the tps..dont fiddle...lol

dan-hipgrave
18-10-2006, 22:29
does the car kangaroo for fist 1 mins of driving??? does the fault rectify itself after the first 10mins?

if so its lambda sensor.

Yeh sounds about right - doesnt fell good for the first minute if i just start up and drive, but after 10mins its fine and will idle normal too...

Cheers guys, gonna try replacing lambda this weekend then - oh goody!

VIPERONE
18-10-2006, 22:31
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8576

problem number 3 ;-)

dan-hipgrave
18-10-2006, 22:31
When its idling very low, if you turn off the car and start it up again does it return to normal? Then when you drive away and dip the clutch it happens again?

Yeh thats also exactly what it does - idles fine until ive driven :?

dan-hipgrave
18-10-2006, 22:32
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8576

problem number 3 ;-)

Nice one cheers Gunner :D

valver_pete
21-10-2006, 14:10
how easy is this to rectify yourself?

zmaster2k
28-10-2006, 01:48
mine has just started to do EXACTLY the same thing!

think its the iscv, but will replace the lamda aswell.

it cut out so many times this evening that the battery went completly flat and i needed to get a jump to get it going again.