PDA

View Full Version : Gonna go for r1 carbs on the Willi any advice?

Stoker Willi 1
18-10-2006, 20:04
I'm jus about to send my inlet gasket away to get an ali inlet made and matched to a healthy dose of r1 carbs :twisted: i'v thought about T.B but their well outta my price range so with an apparent 30-40bhp increase its the way to go. i'm pretty sure fitting and getting them running would be ok but fine tuning is gonna be alot more fiddly i can get my hands on a set of vac gauges to balance them through the rev range but will this be enough for smoothISH running, also i'v gotta drop the fuel pressure to between 2-3 psi so not too flood them. and what will happen to the engine management when i do this and remove the injection side of things. Its only £200.00 to get the mani made and £100.00 for the carbs so thats looking like a £2000.00 save to start with. Any advise good or bad please lads.[/b]

midge
18-10-2006, 20:09
ive added you to msn, want to talk to you asap

BenR
18-10-2006, 20:49
any adj fuel pressure reg will be fine, one with a built in gauge will make your life easy.

Balancing the carbs at idle is all you need to do.

Keep the ECU with TPS and MAP sensor information so that it can continue to control ignition otherwise you'll be spending a shit load again to either fab up a mech dizzy or electronic standalone ignition system, in which case you might of well just done bodies.

Stoker Willi 1
18-10-2006, 21:37
i thought so, so a stand alone ig is well outta the question but am i gonna have a little eml on my dash constantly unless the bulb goes for a walk ofcourse but also the good thing is with it being done on an older car when the eml light comes on, it wont actually effect the running { the crapy idea of a limp mode}HOPEFULLY you tell me! e.g if its got air, fuel and a spark at the right time its gonna suck squese bang blow aint it?

VIPERONE
18-10-2006, 22:08
the manifold were going for a ton on ebay not so long ago....let me know how you get on, and what power you put down..cheers, gibbo

Daz.
18-10-2006, 22:15
Interesting project - has anyone done this yet on a f7r?

Thats a nice healthy increase if it'll add that much bhp - I'm all excited on the cheap lol

VIPERONE
18-10-2006, 22:17
its been doneon an f7p.- gains werent anything wild...

the back fires were like artillery firing

stan
18-10-2006, 22:34
I can supply you an ignition only ECU for circa £265.

This is by far the best solution. You wont need MAP reference, which will allow for wilder cams if you so wished. It will come supplied with a base map, so only an hour or so tweaking on the dyno, which would be needed for jetting anyway.

Andy P
19-10-2006, 09:44
LOL @ Stan. I like the way you have almost everything to sell :lol:

I know a few blokes who stuck some bike carbs on their 2.0 16v Caddy. They claim 170bhp. Which i suppose is about right. 20bhp gain?!

They have offered me a bike carb setup, drive in/out £1500 all fully mapped!

Was very tempted!

Stoker Willi 1
19-10-2006, 20:21
only one problem with setting it up on a dyno i live on the isle of man and they AIN'T GOT 1. yes pretty sh*t i know. so whatever i do its gonna be by test drives and ear tuning until it runs well enough to get it to the uk. and any1 who doesnt know where the iom is, i'm that small dot in the middle of england and irleand on the BONUS side there is no SPEED LIMIT :P over here emission laws or cameras.
Anyway stan so your ecu would it be up for doin jus this ie getting it running as long as i'm close with the jetting to start with and stick with it as fine tuning as pos{no dyno}, up until i can get over there.

VIPERONE
19-10-2006, 20:27
my mate greeny has just moved over to the ilse ofman with his recovery business... keep your eyes peeled for his twin turbo impreza import estate lol.

if themod is good im doing it.. your the guinnea pig

Stoker Willi 1
19-10-2006, 20:38
Cheers mate! lets hope its as good as it sounds.
whats the recov buiss called and what colour is the scoob.

VIPERONE
19-10-2006, 20:43
scoob is silver.. god knows about his recovery business. lol imgoing over in the spring..

with my car

stan
19-10-2006, 20:58
The ECU is ideal for this. Like it said they come supplied with a base map (e.g. C20XE) which isnt going to be a million miles away from wht you need. It would run well, and be "near as damn it".

Stoker Willi 1
19-10-2006, 21:14
might be very interested in that ecu mate will keep it in mind. gonna see how the standard 1 goes for the time being seen as pennies r a bit tight jus bought a fecking house. but i'v obviously got priorities right being as the willi comes 1st :)

stan
19-10-2006, 21:20
lol good effort :D

BenR
20-10-2006, 03:31
run the stock ecu, it'll cope fine so long as you give it the sensor info it needs, which you'll have to do with an aftermarket ecu anyway.

And carb setting up isnt as accurate as injection so dont worry about rich/lean spots in areas that dont really matter.

Buy a wideband lambda sensor, bung it on, drive around and correct the jetting accordingly. You'll only have to check full throttle, 50% throttle and 10% throttle initially as they are the easiest to correct, and acceleration fuelling.

I sell AFR gauges with built in EGT sensor/display and its all you'll ever need for constant incar information.........i moved over to them from the stupidly expensive alternative units. A mate makes them and they are great.

2 live
20-10-2006, 08:41
my mate greeny has just moved over to the ilse ofman with his recovery business... keep your eyes peeled for his twin turbo impreza import estate lol.

if themod is good im doing it.. your the guinnea pig

lol.thort id not seen him around for a while.....his mum n dad sold their house too now then?

VIPERONE
20-10-2006, 09:13
last time ilooked in his barn area it lookdeserted, i think his house was up at £750k lol..

jon fancy coming over in the spring..?? isle ofman will be an insane meet..no fear of speeding lol

stan
20-10-2006, 11:07
Ben a seperate ECU will only need CPS and TPS... :?

R1 Carbs have a TPS already installed which is very handy.

Also it means IF you ran the OE set-up, you will have to bodge the TPS onto the carbs...guarait will take a bit of effort get it to corrolate correcttly, as they use the little lever arm...its isnt simply centre on a spindle.

BenR
20-10-2006, 11:40
Just saying its what i would do.

A speed density based map system which you wont have to bother mapping (As we all know how iffy ignition mapping is for most people). SO get the stock weber TPS on there (possibly put it on the throttle arm spindle ala BDG rather than the bodies spindle itself), tap the manifold for vacuum lines (which you can then run the brake servo off aswell from a vacuum manifold), and the CAS can stay where and how it is........all stock loom.

2 live
20-10-2006, 13:22
last time ilooked in his barn area it lookdeserted, i think his house was up at £750k lol..

jon fancy coming over in the spring..?? isle ofman will be an insane meet..no fear of speeding lol

yeah think it was.....summer meet...hehe

back on topic tho.there was a red valver at york years ago runnin bike carbs....was runnin hi 14s iirc.

not bad for a valver

BenR
20-10-2006, 20:40
i thought some guy in a red one had 45's and was running 200bhp?

2 live
20-10-2006, 21:11
theres been a few mate.this was back in .....2000 ish wen i had me valver

BenR
20-10-2006, 22:04
never done carbs on a clio, got a set for my clio but just no time.

Would sound aswesome on overrun.