PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Insurance

samboRT
17-10-2006, 14:11
ok, i am going to be dropping the RSi/1.8RT engine in to my 1.4...

my insurance group is a 5 and the 1.8RT which the engine will be out of ( ) is a insurance group 6/7 ....

how do they work out the insurance for dropping in this engine, basically going to say my bottom end has gone, desperate for an engine, i cant get hold of this one very cheap and have it fitted... bla bla blaaa...

how do they work it out, cost etc..?

TriO`
17-10-2006, 14:14
dont think it will matter what story you say etc... they're just after your cash

Andy P
17-10-2006, 14:31
1.8 RT lump? isnt that the shittest of all lumps? Thought it was different to the RSI lump?

Adrian Flux add both insurance groups together 5+11 (RSI) and divide it by 2. Or so im told.

Yours should work out at group 8 i think. You upgrading brakes and suspension? They will want to know you have done that at least

Laine_16v
17-10-2006, 14:32
Yeah the 1.8RT is the shittest 1.8 around :P

samboRT
17-10-2006, 15:08
yeahhh, i am putting the RSi lump in, but it looks the same and pretty much is with only internals looking different and the inlet mani...

the RSi is going in. :P

Matty86
17-10-2006, 15:32
yeh, get RSi manifold on it for the win :D (they're both F3P blocks iirc)

even though the 1.8RT isnt a fantastic engine (especially for a 1.8!) its still an upgrade in power :p

Also, i found mine to be bulletproof. even set the fecker on fire ;)
Though my 16v has been good to me apart from the rocker cover gasket going :/

Where did you find the engine btw? the 1.8RTs arnt exactly common :p (most people will tell you you are lieing if you say you have a 5dr 1.8 :P)

FincH
17-10-2006, 16:10
What's the point of bothering to insure it as a 1.8RT engine but thenusing an RSi lump?

Even if you put the 1.8 RT engine in with an RSi manifold it'll still be cheating the insurance company...and, if they were to find out you could be done over.

Iirc the 1.8 Baccara uses the MPi F3P...dunno if that's a lower insurance group, but might be cheaper if it is and if you can get hold of a 1.8 Baccara lol.

Either do it properly or not at all tbh.

Not having a go, just looking out for my Clio homies :lol:

samboRT
17-10-2006, 16:11
no dude, i am having the RSi engine put in mine! lol...

i was just wanting to know the difference between the two, both the 1.8RT and 1.8RSi :)

DaveH
18-10-2006, 22:34
i heard that some companies just take the group that the car the engine belongs in and then apply that to yours. i.e. im sure a few people who put willy lumps in their valvers were told that if they put a willy lump in then it has to be insured on level with a willy

samboRT
19-10-2006, 11:59
yeah it is something along those lines, sometyhing like adding the 2 insurance groups and that... need to have a good luck in to it first.