PDA

View Full Version : Went to GDI on Saturday...

J o n
16-10-2006, 15:38
as above, I went to GDI to see Andy to get the fueling problem sorted, as the car was using a fair bit of fuel when not being driven hard and only slightly more when being booted... very odd! The other problem was it had some monumental juddering especially when trying to hold a constant speed on the motorway.

I spoke to Andy and he said to bring it in, so I got to the new premises (very pimp!) and was welcomed by the gang and off they went.

We got Andy's laptop hooked upto the OMEX to check the mapping and it wasn't the same map that the car came out the first time with, comparing it with Andy's graphs it had been 'messed' with, as the ignition and fuel cut limiters were set at 8k and 7.5k, but on previous map they were at 7.6k on both! Not only that but it was overfuelling at low and mid range and running a touch lean up top.

Andy was playing about with it for a good while on idle and it immediately started to sound different and less stressed and the idle was much much better, so after a bit more fettling he and Mark went out for some Fast & Furious on road mapping (which looked cool with the cables and AFR meters all over the windscreen lol). A short while later Andy and Mark came back and Andy got me to take it for a spin, so I drove it to get some petrol from the local garage and f**k me what a difference! It drives sooooo much better, it's like a normal car now (albeit much quicker), in that I can just floor it from low revs and the thing just f**ks off, but the big test was in 5th from low end acceleration... passed with flying colours! Now, I never once got near the redline in this test, but knew it would be fine there as it drove okay before in the higher revs.. what I wasn't quite ready for was the difference in power... christ is it quick now! Coming onto the slip road in 2nd to merge with the motorway and I decided to give it a test and it felt much more keen, but change into 3rd and it lit up torque steering all over the place The added power and torque mean I'm going to have to get used to it all over again, but thats a good thing imo

Big thanks to Andy and the team for looking after me for the day and sorting the car out and thanks for topping up the oil and giving the filter a clean... I never knew it had Jenvey written on there pmsl

(and those cakes they sell at the garage are f**king bad ass! nailed the lot on the way back!)

northy
16-10-2006, 15:42
Glad to see its been improved.

Have you spoken to the previous owners to find why or whom changed the maps ?

J o n
16-10-2006, 15:45
nah, I know Mehdi didn't do owt, unless Team Think took it upon themselves to mess about with it, but the mapping wasn't the same as Andy had done, it looked like it was someone just playing about who didn't really have a clue.

wazza16v
nice one, im looking at getting my williams engine fitted in the next few weeks, how much for the re-map?

Zollo
And you posted this why? No one on here likes Mk2s mate. And besides, GDI are rubbish!

:oops:

wavy
16-10-2006, 15:52
car sounds like a beast now mate 8)

but if ya keep eatin the cakes u will need more power again :razz:

jay s
16-10-2006, 16:15
have you tested this against craig's mk1 tb beast?

Andy P
16-10-2006, 16:16
Yeah doesnt sound like a bad test^^.

When are we going to see vids of the beast then?

Martin
16-10-2006, 16:19
members ahem :lol: will see the vid when he comes home from work i think... 8)

stan
16-10-2006, 17:25
Glad to see it sorted :D

Puzzles me about maps being "changed"...thumbs up for getting it sorted tho.

stew
16-10-2006, 17:40
nice one mate. :D

glad to hear a good story about GDi for once! some companies just seem to get slated all the time.

weird that someone had been playing with the mapping. i bet it runs miles better now! 8)

MatBrown
16-10-2006, 20:14
And you posted this why? No one on here likes Mk2s mate. And besides, GDI are rubbish!

LOL.

The biggest test would be did you make it home?

Mat.

Illusion
16-10-2006, 20:28
Sorry am I missing something???

What's so bad about GDI???

I've been away for a bit, but are they not a favourite on here?

stan
16-10-2006, 21:10
His/their track record of succesful workmanship has been blemished by a few bad jobs...but hey, i think everyone deserves a second chance.

Ive been quick to judge him in the past, but on closer inspection, i dont even know him nor had first hand experience of his work, and my and most forums users opinion has been purely based on OTHER peoples experiences....which isnt fair really is it?

Daz.
16-10-2006, 21:51
it looked like it was someone just playing about who didn't really have a clue.

You know the other week?.....Erm.... :lol:

J o n
17-10-2006, 08:34

clearly, 220+bhp sucks :roll:

... so you have had work done there before, or is this more bandwagon jumping?

Illusion
17-10-2006, 15:16
Well I had work there done a couple of years back.

Thought the workmanship was top - price wise thought it could of been cheaper. Been up there a couple of times and Andy has always made me feel welcome.

Was looking to get more done soon by GDI/Angel Works. Not a good idea?

Ian

BenR
17-10-2006, 15:29
I am NOT associated with GDI, dont tar me with that brush.

northy
17-10-2006, 15:35
beat me too it ben.

:winky:

rt_blackpool
17-10-2006, 15:41
sounds like some good work there, where abouts are GDI based and do they have a webshite?

Zollo
17-10-2006, 15:58

clearly, 220+bhp sucks :roll:

... so you have had work done there before, or is this more bandwagon jumping?

Erm, I was on the reply-to-all conversation yesterday mate :wink:

BenR
17-10-2006, 16:07
sounds like some good work there, where abouts are GDI based and do they have a webshite?

a webshite? lol

J o n
17-10-2006, 16:31
I'd recommend BenR and Andy, and TB's are deffo the way forward, I'd have bought this 172 even if it was only running stock power, the sound is why I love them, 220+bhp is just a bonus ;)

Sorry Zollo, I know you are only joking mate, just getting deja-vu from Clio Sport threads lol

Zollo
17-10-2006, 17:18
Ok, no more CS-stylee comments :solider:

Illusion
17-10-2006, 17:54
I am NOT associated with GDI, dont tar me with that brush.

Sorry Ben, it's actually you i'm wanting to talk to.

As I said earlier, i've been away for a bit - you have the pulleys in stock for 275 pipers? Last time I hear you were in the mist of getting your own brand manufactured.

seanofnp
17-10-2006, 17:59
I'd recommend BenR and Andy, and TB's are deffo the way forward, I'd have bought this 172 even if it was only running stock power, the sound is why I love them, 220+bhp is just a bonus ;)

Sorry Zollo, I know you are only joking mate, just getting deja-vu from Clio Sport threads lol

I thought you wanted to get away from clios full stop when you were selling your williams? Or was that one big cover up for before you brought the tb 172?

Nice car btw, love the video vs the scoob.

BenR
17-10-2006, 20:07
where is the vid?

And i thought you didnt go on the rollers to check bhp?

J o n
17-10-2006, 20:12
I wasn't going to touch another Reno again, I'm still of the same mindset tbh, but when 172's were mentioned in part ex with my Williams I almost vommited with rage, it was only until ITB's were mentioned that I felt okay again :lol:

Ben, didn't get it on the rollers, but it was making 218bhp before and it's noticable a fair bit faster now... it's more a guess based on 99 fuel being better than 98 and it feeling a fair bit quicker... I wont really know until it's RR'd though like you say... or I could take it out against the Scooby and see how much more I pull on him :D lol

BRUN
17-10-2006, 22:19
Sorry am I missing something???

What's so bad about GDI???

I've been away for a bit, but are they not a favourite on here?

its all B.S. usually, chinese whispers and people having a go who have never had any work done there, its the same with most companies

i HAVE had work done at GDI, a fair bit, i was amazed at the quality of work and attention to detail, really gets to me when anyone says bad things about them, he is a brilliant bloke and he is really helpful

FlamingMonkey
17-10-2006, 23:33
http://www.sellersinternationalband.co.uk/2005images/bandwagon.jpg

????