PDA

View Full Version : Start up

Gav
15-10-2006, 22:11
Ok. When i start the clio it takes about 3 'churns' to start, i dont like this. It starts everytime, and it doesnt sound like a bad battery or starter, apparently all clios take a little longer than another car to start

but

if i want the clio to start like a split second from the turn of the key. What new parts shud i get? And prices if avaiable [from Renault also, no after market stuff]

and also, is it true clios take a litle longer to start than normal?

Coops
15-10-2006, 23:20
as far as i know mate, bigger engine takes more effort to turn so longer to starts, my 1.3 polo takes 0.00000001 seconds!:P for little bit extra depress clutch, then the starter aint turning the gearbox n all :wink:

Gav
15-10-2006, 23:22
hmm i had the clutch dipped but the start up seems weaker??? :?

Laine_16v
15-10-2006, 23:24
as far as i know mate, bigger engine takes more effort to turn so longer to starts, my 1.3 polo takes 0.00000001 seconds!:P for little bit extra depress clutch, then the starter aint turning the gearbox n all :wink:

Our old 4 litre jeep started quicker than my valver did.

Chris H
15-10-2006, 23:30
you will need a carb and a conventional points style set up.

All efi cars take a few churns to fire up. The starter has to spin the engine over to its pre determind ecu threshold speed around 300rpm before it will start to spark and fuel.

That takes time.

Old school motors were running immediatley as there was always fuel there and it sparked right away.

Andyvalver
15-10-2006, 23:45
MY car starts straight away everytime, even when i leave it for 2 weeks to go holiday 8)

Gav
15-10-2006, 23:49
you will need a carb and a conventional points style set up.

All efi cars take a few churns to fire up. The starter has to spin the engine over to its pre determind ecu threshold speed around 300rpm before it will start to spark and fuel.

That takes time.

Old school motors were running immediatley as there was always fuel there and it sparked right away.

so Chris i can never get it to start as good as a 06 plate car?

Chris H
15-10-2006, 23:55
pretty much no.

New cars are a hell of a lot more advanced in start up maps etc than the 16V's.

Cam sensors and emmision compliance regulations mean there can't be the old chuck in a load of ful and get it sparking to start.

It will always go wa wa wa running, its still better than the old K-jet etc set ups!

only way it won't is if you crank it kill it then crank again the 5th injector gets the inlet man very rich so fires quicker.

Of course if the starter, battery and earthing isn't top notch it will extend the time. Tired engines won't help either as it needs compression to fire, an engien that builds compression right away will always fire easier especially from cold.

seanofnp
16-10-2006, 00:57
My clio always took a few secs to fire up too. But my crx is far quicker.