PDA

View Full Version : Locking Wheel nut removal :-(

hank3944
14-10-2006, 20:44
Im having problems removing the locking wheel nuts from my beloved willy.

I think they are the original nuts still that have been on there from new. They are the Three pronged ones....

Basically the two of the pins have snapped on the adapter which rendered it useless... so i drilled the pins out and replaced with something simallar, but vto no avail as the pins bent again....

I am reluctant to take it to a tyre garage and let them unleash their tool on them as i hear that they tend to make a right mess of the wheels... I have thought about the old "bang a socket onto them" trick but they have a spinning collar that prevents this.

Im stuck guys as the brakes need doing.., any help or advise would be great. :?

standard willy
14-10-2006, 21:04
Take it steady, use a small drill in the centre as a pilot then go for a 14mm. I had to drill two strange ones have beed replaced with mcgaurds ultra

hank3944
15-10-2006, 20:46
what and do the old tap and die to cut a new thread and that.? grim :cry:

Chris H
15-10-2006, 21:01
split the spinning bit then whack a socket on.

or make up another tool and rattle the hell out of the thign with a hammer then they crack off I find.

clio_rsi_turbo
15-10-2006, 21:02
just use a punch and a lump hammer. buy punch that fit fits onto one of the holes, hit it anti-clockwise. i had to do this to mine, takes awhile.

MattyH16valver
15-10-2006, 21:54
just use a punch and a lump hammer. buy punch that fit fits onto one of the holes, hit it anti-clockwise. i had to do this to mine, takes awhile.
Thats exactly what I had to do with mine...worked with three of them, but the last was not playing ball so I had to wack a socket over it! :lol:

hank3944
17-10-2006, 09:35
Ill try that. With my luck ill probably split the nut. They are well ancient...

:cry:

northy
17-10-2006, 10:52
once you get a grip on the nut try and tighten first before you undo it.