PDA

View Full Version : cracked brake disc

bill.
14-10-2006, 08:34
had my car in for an mot and service this week, everything fine apart from it needed a new rear caliper, when the bloke went to fit it, he noticed my brake disc had a crack from the centre to the outside :shock: , this happened to anyone else? and whats the cause of it?

ps. they are ktec grooved and drilled discs, where on the car when i bought it.

Purple
14-10-2006, 09:48
My rear disc broke into 2 when my mechanic removed it. I was right behind him. It had looked prefectly normal and just fell apart in his hands as he was removing it. Was quite bizarre.

EDIT: Mine was original renault disc.

Martin
14-10-2006, 09:49
had my car in for an mot and service this week, everything fine apart from it needed a new rear caliper, when the bloke went to fit it, he noticed my brake disc had a crack from the centre to the outside :shock: , this happened to anyone else? and whats the cause of it?

ROFL Me and Dannyt BOTH had this problem with the k-tec discs they are ****in shit...go for a refund!

Lunner
14-10-2006, 11:24
Common problem with running groved and, esp drilled discs, they crack around the holes usually, differnt rates of thermal expansion, esp when they are cooling down (contractioin tehn before anyone points it out), why do you think F1 cars dont' run grooved/drilled discs.

Cause will be parking it up with hot discs and hand brake on, meaning the area of the disc where the pad goes goes hot, while the rest of the disc cools down, usually cuases warping of the discs, hence why they say that you shoudln't put your handbreake on after being on the track

Chris H
15-10-2006, 12:49
happens now and again, Neal on retro had his 19's rear disc do that after he let the pads get to low

bill.
17-10-2006, 22:29

ROFL Me and Dannyt BOTH had this problem with the k-tec discs they are F***IN s**t...go for a refund!

cant really go for a refund mate, they where already on my car when i bought it, although i have the paper work for it, but i dont reckon they'd listen, i'll stay clear of ktec for now!

bill.
17-10-2006, 22:31
Common problem with running groved and, esp drilled discs, they crack around the holes usually, differnt rates of thermal expansion, esp when they are cooling down (contractioin tehn before anyone points it out), why do you think F1 cars dont' run grooved/drilled discs.

Cause will be parking it up with hot discs and hand brake on, meaning the area of the disc where the pad goes goes hot, while the rest of the disc cools down, usually cuases warping of the discs, hence why they say that you shoudln't put your handbreake on after being on the track

nice one lunner i didnt have a clue why it had happened, suppose its tuff titties for me then.

Swervin_Mervin
18-10-2006, 18:35
Drilled/grooved are w4nk.