PDA

View Full Version : What in gods name is making this hideous noise!!?!?

rt_blackpool
13-10-2006, 22:51
basically the car hasnt been started for about 2 or 3 months.
i had the battery on charge all day and started it tonight about 7:30pm and it was perfect.
i then stopped it and jacked up the pass front side, let it down and jacked up the front using the drivers side subframe under the engine.
at this point i realised i wasnt going to have enough room to do what i wanted and went to start it up to reverse it and all i got was this shcoking noise.
it sounds like the starter is catching on something and not turning? but thats just my guess

not sure how to make downloadable, but if u click on it, it'll open up a new widow with the clip in it. its about 5meg in size.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h115/16v_rt/questions/th_100_1631.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h115/16v_rt/questions/?action=view&current=100_1631.flv)

help please!! :(

Andyvalver
13-10-2006, 23:00
:shock: Has the starter got its belt on?

Or, sounds like a loose connection whats arking :?

clean16v
14-10-2006, 00:17
starter with a belt....?

Coops
14-10-2006, 00:59
starter with a belt? lol what u driving mate cuz it aint a clio! :lol: started is tooth geared straight onto the flywheel! 8)

rt_blackpool
14-10-2006, 11:08
ok, so now we know that the starter isnt driven by a belt, does anybody else have any what the noise is?

my dad seems to think its an electrical connection and we're gonna have a look after dinner. does this sound possible?

Lunner
14-10-2006, 11:21
i'd check that the starter is securly boltyed on and isn't slipping ont eh flywheel teeth, cahck teh electrical connections to the back of the starter, although ususally if is not connected properly it just dont' work.

Try bump starting it if the above is all ok

Matty86
14-10-2006, 13:01
mind made a similar noise when the starter motor fell off

check that all (3?) bolts are in tightly :)

rt_blackpool
14-10-2006, 13:04
where abouts are the bolts lunner / matty?

rt_blackpool
14-10-2006, 14:00
bit of an update on this:-

tried turning it over today at about 13:00 and i got no noises excpet the injectors firing, it doesnt even try and start now.
this must surley mean that either the conectors have come off, or the the starter has slipped out of position.

another thing, ive been lookin ghr book of lies (heynes) and it says that the starter is held on with the bolts that hold a little shield on at the back of the engine, underneath the exhaust manifold. is this right as i removed that shiled a while ago but never put the bolts back in.
if thats true then surley the starter must have slipped out?

BristolSam16v
14-10-2006, 15:53
The starter is bolted onto the back of the box, and also has a mounting at the back onto the heat shield but you dont necessarily the back one.

Just check its still securely mounted on, does sound the teeth slipping or something...

Lunner
14-10-2006, 16:09
No 3 little bolts (2 if you have a supersprint) hold the heat shield on, if you ahve been running withotu the start motor heat shield then that coudl well be why your starter motor is ****ed.

there are 3 bolts, one to each corner of the starter motor passing through the gearbox bell mousing, there is also a bracket that bolts onot the 2 little studs att eh back of the starter and bolts to the back of the block with 3 15mm(iirc) nuts (i'm running without this as i'm running a different starter, so its unlikley this will cause it but check it.

With the starter motor now doing nowt its either the connectiion on the back has finally come loose, or the starter motor has packed in through having no heat sheild

BristolSam16v
14-10-2006, 18:04
That case don't think I have a heat shield on mine either :S

Andyvalver
14-10-2006, 18:56
pmsl, ignore my comment lol. I was thinking of somethin else :lol:

rt_blackpool
14-10-2006, 21:10
omfg!! i got it working!! :mrgreen:

i literally crawled all over the engine and underneath trying to find out what it was!
whitest i was on top of the engine i notice a small white wire with a black connector on it, and i presumed that it must have something to do with it.
i got a bit lucky when i came to finding where it went back on to, but i pushed it back on and it started like it hadn’t missed a beat! 8)

Chris H
15-10-2006, 12:55
the starter solenoid wire.

its not like thats been covered a few trillion, billion, gazzilion times is it?