PDA

View Full Version : How much votage should ur alternator thro into the battery?

nyk
11-10-2006, 22:43
Right,

Came out to my car yesterday morning and the battery was flat. Immediately got the battery pack and started the car up and made my way to work, presuming the battery was flat from testing my lights for about an hour the day before after taking out the morettes and putting standard lights back in.

Came out at lunch time and the battery was flat again?? Luckily I had threw the battery pack in the boot. Got home last night and presumed there must be a problem with the alternator as the battery was replaced about 9 months ago with a new heavy duty one. Whipped it off and took the alternator to Digbys auto electricals to test it this morning. Got a phone call today so went back in to collect it. Was told the alternator was generating 13.5 volts when put under load and everything was fine, which indicates I need a new battery???

Now my battery has a 4 year guarantee and will be replaced FOC but is it worth me having the alternator refurbed as well?? I'm not clued up on electrics and dont want to be having to take it out again in another couple of months to have it done? As its only £35 to refurb including a 12 month guarantee.

Anyone know what voltage they are supposed to put back in your battery and if this is right at 13.5 volts? He said it dropped to 12 when not under load...??!!??

:lol:

number1
11-10-2006, 23:12
bah! i hate alternators had undercharging and then overcharging issues with mine although i have fixed it now, 13.5 sounds ok, about what mine charges at, but i always thought 14.5 volts was the average.

best thing to do is either get a multimeter inside your car that runs off the battery to keep an eye on the voltage, i did this on my last valver to make sure it was charging lol or get a decent volt meter.

Check your battery voltage in the morning see if its over 12.5 volts
some garages have alternator load testers that can see if alternators are healthy on the car, i have one at work.. some also tests batterys like our one, bet your miles away from me otherwise id say pop it round and ill test it

Dave

willy3ams
12-10-2006, 09:06
nyk watch out for my post today.. i've had the same problems with my battery running flat. you should be getting 14.5v under heavy load...

my review will explain everything you need to know about changing the alternator.
:D

nyk
12-10-2006, 09:10
Thanks guys. I know how to replace the alternator, I think I'll just ask them to refurb it anyway, just to be safe.

:lol: