PDA

View Full Version : engine mount replacement

remix16V
11-10-2006, 20:29
tried searching the site to see how to change the main mount,dog mount :? on the valver but couldnt find a guide.is there one??
or anyone able to take a pic of where its located as a friend knows his stuff on his fiestas and said if i can find out hwo to do it hel do it for me

BristolSam16v
11-10-2006, 22:23
Located under the car bottom/back of engine in the middle. Its just a stabilising mount not a main mount :p Whip off 2 bolts, pull it out, put bolts back in, don't need to support the engine or anything!

Reality is the exhaust will no doubt get in the way, as will every other part of the car some-how-or-another and you'll end up spending the whole evening trying to change the basterd!

pat_986
12-10-2006, 08:52
I think to do the job properly, the exhaust downpipe needs to be dropped.
The reason being, so the nut is placed on the opposite side to the downpipe.

If you dont, it is likely to rattle! :evil:

remix16V
12-10-2006, 18:16
cheers for the quik reply guys i shall have a nose about under there at the weekend!

Swervin_Mervin
13-10-2006, 14:30
Yep. Get the car on stands. Get the trolley jack under the downpipe and then undo the bolts to the downpipe from the fanny mould and drop the exhaust as much as you can.

Then it's just two bolts. Put the new bolts in the opposite way round though to reduce the potential for them knocking on the zorst.

FlamingMonkey
13-10-2006, 17:08
Not sure about this downpipe nonesense, I did mine in about 10 mins, that included me not knowing what the **** I was doing, undoing 2 bolts and away we go, I didn't do it with the downpipe removed?

Swervin_Mervin
13-10-2006, 17:31
There's absolutely no way to get the bolts in the opposite way without it Rob. Maybe you just put them in the Renault way?

BristolSam16v
13-10-2006, 18:39
that included me not knowing what the f**k I was doing
;)

FlamingMonkey
13-10-2006, 19:04
There's absolutely no way to get the bolts in the opposite way without it Rob. Maybe you just put them in the Renault way?

No idea I put them back the way they came out I think, wasn't hard at all, and I don't get any knocking?

Matty86
13-10-2006, 19:33
Ive got my new mount sitting on my desk now, still waiting to do this one :p

Did it (with the help of my brother) on my RT and it was a royal PITA. - was the F3P engine with the inlet and outlet manifolds as one, so not as easy to just drop the downpipe.

If i can't get the bolts out because of the exhaust this time around, im not gonna much around. the hacksaw is coming straight out and the bolts are being cut! :D

Got some replacement ones to go on the 'correct' way round ;)

Enid
14-10-2006, 22:26
I didn't do anything with the downpipe when I did mine. Took the bolts out, fitted new mount and put the bolts in the same way they came out. No knocking or anything like that, whats the problem?

Lunner
15-10-2006, 08:22

Ever car i've done, and its a fair few now, i've cut the bolts rather than remove the downpipe, and replaced them in t'other way with new botls, no rattles or anything.

Think i did adam's valver that way too

BristolSam16v
15-10-2006, 09:39
I had the rattle on mine as the exhaust was mounted slightly too close it was horrendous! Put the bolts in the other way round and its fine...

Chris H
15-10-2006, 12:41
wtf? just use a breaker bar to move the downpipe over and the bolt goe sin no bother. takes about 2/3 mins to do the mount, takes longer to jack the car up.

BristolSam16v
15-10-2006, 16:17
2-3 minutes??? My mount was wedged in so tight with that ****ing rubber took me ages to get it off, then even longer to align the new one in correctly!

Chris H
15-10-2006, 20:39
eh? 2 nuts 2 bolts, undo mount falls out fit new one tighten. Job done.

Adi82
16-10-2006, 21:29
Just did my dogbone mount tonight. Was very easy, jack up car remove to bolts and the mount, replace with new mount and new bolts. Even got the bolts in so that the nuts are on the selector rod side not the exhaust side without any problems.

Still hasnt cured my problem mind so next job top engine mounts!!

One question though is there suppose to be any washers with the nuts and bolts because i didnt get any from renault, but the one of the old bolts had a washer on?

remix16V
16-10-2006, 21:52
o god what did i start with this post :lol: :roll:

Still hasnt cured my problem mind so next job top engine mounts!!

what is the problem with yours dude? as im hopin mine is just this mount that needs replacing!

are u very mechanically minded? as im stil learning and going to attempt this either 2mro or at the weekend.
does everyone recommend new bolts as well? as i only have the mount nto bolts(was supplied with car wen i bought it)

Adi82
16-10-2006, 22:10
Mine has quite a bad knocking at low speeds, kinda like the drivetrain taking up slack all the time. Was told it could be the engine mount under the battery. Although my engine doesnt seem to have moved at all.

You really dont need alot of mechanical experience to do the dogbone mount, even if you have to lower the downpipe it should be relatively easy.

I usually replace the bolts and nuts when replacing parts although you probably dont need to.

remix16V
16-10-2006, 22:15
ok cheers dude. i shall give ti ago at the weeknd or 2mro if i can get hold of a trolley jack off my m8, alredy got the axel stands