PDA

View Full Version : Changing fuel filter?

MattyH16valver
10-10-2006, 20:24
Hi.....as I have usually serviced my car myself (oil change, filter, pads, discs etc) I have not change the fuel filter yet.....just wondering how easy it is to do and where the best place to get one from is? Thanks. Matt :P

jay s
10-10-2006, 20:34
piece of piss to do, just make sure u clamp the hose coming out the fuel pump to the filter, i use a pair of moll grips with a plastic bag in between to protect the rubber hose. when u take the other side off the filter, petrol will shot out the on the rapid but this is only about a litre to empty the system. filter can be got from any motor store and buy some new clips for the hoses.

MattyH16valver
10-10-2006, 20:38
cheers m8....where abouts is it? :P and....do you catch the excess fual in a bucket? :wink:

Laine_16v
10-10-2006, 20:47
cheers m8....where abouts is it? :P and....do you catch the excess fual in a bucket? :wink:

Rear underneath the car next to fuel tank, you wont miss it, a biggish silver cylinder type thing.

jay s
10-10-2006, 20:47
fuel filter is undercar behind the driverside, jack the car up and have a look u won't miss it. both times ive done it ive just let it piss on the floor. be very careful tho as it's under alot of pressure and comes out very fast, got it in my eyes both times, i can fit it if you want :wink:

MattyH16valver
10-10-2006, 20:50
fuel filter is undercar behind the driverside, jack the car up and have a look u won't miss it. both times ive done it ive just let it piss on the floor. be very careful tho as it's under alot of pressure and comes out very fast, got it in my eyes both times, i can fit it if you want :wink:
Ok m8....cheers but I think I'll have a go at doing it myself....thanks for offer though. 8)

arj256
10-10-2006, 21:07

It doesnt come out very fast if you depresurise the fuel system.
To do that you take out the fuel pump fuse and turn the car over.

Its an easy enough job to do, just be careful using molegrips on the fuel pipe hose under the tank, dont want to make a hole in that lol.

I got mine from gsf and some new clips to make future efforts easier.
The bracket which holds it can be a pain to undo though.

rt_blackpool
10-10-2006, 21:10
im not sure whether this is right but a friend of mine said that to help with the filter change (limiting the amount of fuel that comes out or something to do with that) he disconects the fuel pump connectors under the rear bench (big black round thing) and then turns the engine over a few times until it cant start.

like i said, not sure if thats right or not.

jay s
10-10-2006, 21:16
lol, i did'nt know how to depresurise the system :oops: learn something new everyday :D i always pack out the molegrips with something soft like a plastic bag folded up a few times or something like a flanel/cloth. i could'nt undo the bracket on this car so i ended up pushing the filter through the bracket to get it out.

katbloke
10-10-2006, 21:36
remember to note the flow direction arrows :D my 2 penneths worth

rt_blackpool
10-10-2006, 21:36
lol, i did'nt know how to depresurise the system :oops: learn something new everyday :D i always pack out the molegrips with something soft like a plastic bag folded up a few times or something like a flanel/cloth. i could'nt undo the bracket on this car so i ended up pushing the filter through the bracket to get it out.

is that what he's doing when he discconects it? cool!! lol

i'll need to do mine this month sometime, and ive checked it before and the screw holding the black clamp together is totally rounded off. is there enough space to just slide it out and back in?

jay s
10-10-2006, 21:40
filter was abit tight in the bracket but once both hoses were off i was able to push it through from the back, and good point katbloke forgot about that...

MattyH16valver
10-10-2006, 21:43
cheers for help lads....muchos apprechios :wink:

BristolSam16v
10-10-2006, 21:53
Pull out the fuel relay under the glovebox and run the engine till it cuts out. then you wont have much fuel coming out.

Chris H
11-10-2006, 08:06
pulling the fuse and cranking is the celver mans way to do the job as its easy.

ASs for mole grips, plastic bags etc ain;t gonna really protect it unless you use loads of em

However 2 decent sized sockets, 20mm + on the jaws of the grips are perfect.

rt_blackpool
11-10-2006, 11:33
pulling the fuse and cranking is the celver mans way to do the job as its easy.

ASs for mole grips, plastic bags etc ain;t gonna really protect it unless you use loads of em

However 2 decent sized sockets, 20mm + on the jaws of the grips are perfect.

i like both sets of advice there!

as far as the mole grips with the sockets on the end go, is it just a case of having someone squeeze hard on the pipe while the filter is un done and removed/replaced? will it not damage the pipe regardles of the sockets?

Chris H
11-10-2006, 11:40
mole grips lock closed mofo. The sockets have more and rounder surface area than the oproper pipe clamps which are either metal screw downs of plastic pincer/plier things.

They won't damage the rubber pipe as long as your not trying to compress it all into a 0.5mm gap!

northy
11-10-2006, 11:54
Buy this, as suggested with chris alternative - if your unsure !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAPER-HYDRAULIC-BRAKE-HOSE-CLAMP-70-x-273mm-12mm-depth_W0QQitemZ220035824071QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3091 7QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Your sure making a meal of these brakes mate ! Take care when you next go for a drive.

rt_blackpool
11-10-2006, 12:38
Buy this, as suggested with chris alternative - if your unsure !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAPER-HYDRAULIC-BRAKE-HOSE-CLAMP-70-x-273mm-12mm-depth_W0QQitemZ220035824071QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3091 7QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Your sure making a meal of these brakes mate ! Take care when you next go for a drive.

this isnt about the brakes northy, its the fuel filter.

problem with me is 2 things, 1stly car is a real shit bucket that needs loads of work doing and 2ndly i have very little time on my hands. :(

i've got the front hoses on now btw :) just doing the rears when i get the time.