PDA

View Full Version : oil filter

scotte666
25-04-2005, 16:59
was thinking of doing an oil change heard the filter is a pain to get to????does it need changing was done @60k service only on 63k now. at it will be done on next service @66k

Lunner
26-04-2005, 13:01
If you use the champion oil filters they ahve a socket in the top to take a 3/8" drive socket bar, makes getting them out very very simple

Allan
26-04-2005, 13:54
I have done summys williams and my valver now and its easyest to get at from under the car, although i do recommend getting some goggles as you end up with all sorted of crap in your eyes :(
basilcy put your arm up between the radiator and front of the enigine get a chain with a socket on, place it over the filter hand tighen the chain then bang a ratchet on it then just tighten till the thing comes lose "remember you are going anti clockwise when looking at the car from the front"

or you can go in from the top between the bonnet and the headlight but thats slighty more tricky as you cant put both hands in but same method..

It was harder to change on my valver then the williams because the filter was further back ...
Not sure but the williams might have an oil cooler which makes the filter eaiser to get at

you might hear a crunching sound as the filter gets crushed by the chain but that doesnt matter :)

Swervin_Mervin
26-04-2005, 13:57
Once I'd located it I lied back on some cloths to support my head, stared at the sky, as my arms were gradually drained of their blood through being held upright.

TBH once you've got your hands in it's ok.

Allan
26-04-2005, 13:59
Also remember when you put the new filter back on MAKE sure you put oil on the sealing ring or it will stick on and be a bastard to get off next time