PDA

View Full Version : URGENT car cutting out, but idles....HELP

clio16valver
09-10-2006, 15:46
basically if i start the car it idles fine but as soon as i go to set off it judders really bad and cuts out

have replace lambda and coolant temp sensor.....

please help as its URGENT

james

nyk
09-10-2006, 15:57
have you tried revving the car when it is stood still?

Does it still cut out??

clio16valver
09-10-2006, 16:02
tbh its not here, someone has just picked it up..... i imagine if its still it just revs really lumpy!!!

james

clio16valver
09-10-2006, 16:24
help please guys!!!

james

nyk
09-10-2006, 16:41
Without giving more info its hard to help.

I know this sounds basic, but have you checked the accelerator cable, not sticking is it?

Have you cleaned out fuel lines with carbon choke cleaner, as a possible blockage may be causing the lumpyness??

have you tried a fuel line cleaner supplement you put through your fuel??

Ae there any other symptoms, what have you tried??

clio16valver
09-10-2006, 16:50
well basically, it starts fine and idles but wont rev without cutting out... has been driven down the motorway for a good hour then the problem started when it was restarted after stopping at services...

have had injector clenaer throught the fuel but has been stood for a couple of days without use..

havnt checked any fuel lines etc as it has been running fine and the car is not here

james

nyk
09-10-2006, 16:56
Try revving the car (when you get it back) from the accelerator cable whilst stood still and from the pedal. See if there is any difference. ie does it cut out when revving on the pedal but not on the cable under the bonnet??

What colour are the plugs??

Check these first.

clio16valver
09-10-2006, 17:10
yeah i suppose it could be the plugs althought they were replaced about 100 mile ago (still could be them tho).... and..... erm the car wont be coming back..... just sold it :oops:

james

clio16valver
09-10-2006, 17:11
Try revving the car (when you get it back) from the accelerator cable whilst stood still and from the pedal. See if there is any difference. ie does it cut out when revving on the pedal but not on the cable under the bonnet??

What colour are the plugs??

Check these first.

if it does rev with the accelerator and not the one under rhe engine then what does that mean

james

MAXIBOY
09-10-2006, 17:35
dizzy cap rotor arm plug leads etc

clio16valver
09-10-2006, 18:38
all replaced about 100 mile ago

james

Laine_16v
09-10-2006, 18:40
partially blocked fuel filter?

rt_blackpool
09-10-2006, 18:59
i had this a while and it bugged the shit out of me as i did the obvious things like u did and nothing helped.

it turned out to be the TPS (red thing at the front of the engine). the plastic sleeves on the 3 wires were corroded and was messing it up big time.

clio16valver
09-10-2006, 19:44
i had this a while and it bugged the s**t out of me as i did the obvious things like u did and nothing helped.

it turned out to be the TPS (red thing at the front of the engine). the plastic sleeves on the 3 wires were corroded and was messing it up big time.

bang on mate.... the guy that took it had the rac out and the wires were shorting and there was water in the sensor.... but aslong as the car is over 3k its ok

james

rt_blackpool
09-10-2006, 20:17
i had this a while and it bugged the s**t out of me as i did the obvious things like u did and nothing helped.

bang on mate.... the guy that took it had the rac out and the wires were shorting and there was water in the sensor.... but aslong as the car is over 3k its ok

james

cool! at least u know what it is now.

i've just replaced the TPS and its wires/connector on mine, but apparently thats bad practice as you cant just stick another one on because it has to be setup by computer. if you do change it for a 2nd hand one some people have said buy the TPS and the throttle body it screws to all together, that way it all stays together and the same.

it''ll be some weeks prob yet before i start my engine again but im interested as to whether you can or can't do this.

Chris H
10-10-2006, 09:04
easy way is to unplug the tps, it will run fine, when you rev it you have to go slow. if its still the same its not the tps.

I had to sort a 19 16V with this at the weekend, after removign the poorly bodged in cat 2 immobiliser, changed the ignition module and fitted new leads its runnign liek a champ.

Module was gone by the tacho needles behaviour and when warm the engien woudl stall easily.

With the module it would idle and rtev fine. Drive it and when you changed to 2nd gear it would fir eon 3. Number 2 lead was breaking down and lifting off the plug with the change to 2nd gear.

LOU'S CLIO
10-10-2006, 18:49
We got the car home in the end lastnite and got the part we were told we needed off a friends 16v to see what it would do and when we fitted it it still did exactly the same thing :roll:

the symptoms are it runs ok now and then but all of a sudden when town driving, it goes very lumpy stuttering/stalling and cutting out, you have to keep the revs high.

Also when its running like this it uses loadz of petrol and also smokes a bit and the cat smells :?

Also now and then it idles up and down and sometimes it sits idling higher than it should do :!:

Any help or info on this and what it could be would be very helpfull to us.

Many thanks Louise.

obie_shaun996
10-10-2006, 21:12
yeah we swap it with mine.

4gettin that it was allready set up.

now my cars foooked and wont be on the rd for anotha month :cry: :cry:

dropping the car off to dan on here in taunton to get it set up agian. :wink:

Chris H
11-10-2006, 08:02
set up what exactly? And more to the point how did you **** it up?

Evogone
18-02-2009, 08:43
We got the car home in the end lastnite and got the part we were told we needed off a friends 16v to see what it would do and when we fitted it it still did exactly the same thing :roll:

the symptoms are it runs ok now and then but all of a sudden when town driving, it goes very lumpy stuttering/stalling and cutting out, you have to keep the revs high.

Also when its running like this it uses loadz of petrol and also smokes a bit and the cat smells :?

Also now and then it idles up and down and sometimes it sits idling higher than it should do :!:

Any help or info on this and what it could be would be very helpfull to us.

Many thanks Louise.

What was the solution in the end ?

white16valver
18-02-2009, 17:04
thread from the dead! lol