PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and Valver Dead!

joshydee
06-10-2006, 23:50
Hiya im josh, some of you might know me off cliosport.net. Got a mk2 ph2 1.4 16v as my daily drive but have recently bought a valver.

Car is a J Plate (1992?) but has a few issues. Has had a newer engine put in it which has done about 70k and i wired the loom into this. everything appears to be connected. Anyhow the starter motor is buggered so i thought i would have a go at towing it off with my brother mk3 clio. Turn key to final position, let the clutch out in 2nd and engine turns over but won't fire! I can't work it out. Fuel pump is pumping fuel. Any ideas on things to check? If anyone would like to lend a hand for some $$$ im based in doncaster so let me know but im quite determined to sort this myself.
thanks
josh :D

gtbloke
07-10-2006, 09:26
Sounds like the immobiliser to me

Martin
07-10-2006, 09:28
fuel pump would'nt prime if it was immoboliser though.

Laine_16v
07-10-2006, 10:22
Crank position sensor perhaps?

lewis_willy2
07-10-2006, 10:59
the flywheel sensor. bolts over a hole between engine and gearbox.

if thats dodgy then you get no spark?

do you have a spark?

leiws

donsrno1
07-10-2006, 15:17
basically if you've got fuel then it's either a compression or spark problem. The chances are you've got no spark, but check that first. If there is no spark then check the resistance of the crank sensor iirc it should be about 250 ohms (or there abouts), if thats fine then try another ignition moduel. If you have access to another Mk1 clio the crank sensor and ignition module are exactly the same so you can switch them over to check.

joshydee
07-10-2006, 19:45
Right! Just toying with it now, so the flywheel sensor that is between the box and block can see it hovvering over the teeth on the fly right? Just wondering wether i have it hooked up to the right connector? the wires on the connector are white and red and the wires on the connector hooked up to it from the loom are both white..... Also i have a multimeter but don't know what setting to put it on to test the part? where is the crank position sensor located?
thanks for your help
josh :)

Lunner
07-10-2006, 19:48
Have you got a spark?

Thats easiest thing to test mate

Joel
07-10-2006, 20:08
hello josh r u joel dee's bro!?

joshydee
07-10-2006, 20:30
Have you got a spark?

Thats easiest thing to test mate

Without a starter motor, ill try towing it off in a bit . Nah im not joeldees brother i got asked that on CS as well. So the flywheel sensor is the one i said and which is the crank position sensor?
ta
josh :?

Joel
07-10-2006, 20:42
r u off to cortonwood meet mate tomorow CS meet?

ill be there Just down road for me Cortonwood

Lunner
07-10-2006, 20:45
you dont' need a starter motor to check if there is a spark, the starter motor simply cranks the engine round to get it going

nyk
07-10-2006, 21:02
Take a HT lead off, put a spare plug in the HT lead, touch it on the engine to earth it and turn the car over. Look at the end of the plug for a spark.........

joshydee
08-10-2006, 10:00
you dont' need a starter motor to check if there is a spark, the starter motor simply cranks the engine round to get it going

how is a spark to be generated if i can't turn the engine over?

Ive got a couple of relays missing and ive bought a new starter motor, so ill put the relays in and wondered if anyone knows if i can fit the starter motor withour removing the engine/manifold.
ta

OH and btw the CS meet isn't till next week joel son :p
josh :shock:

joshydee
08-10-2006, 17:52
Bit more progress... Fitted new starter motor, still doesn't crank, the lil tab with the small wire on the starter motor is getting no power to it when i hold the key in the 'start' position. I checked with a multimeter from there to the negative terminal on the battery. so what is the fault if this isn't getting any power?
ta

lewis_willy2
08-10-2006, 18:10
how much power you got in the battery??

joshydee
08-10-2006, 20:44
how much power you got in the battery??

12.6v. either way there should be some feed to there? Im thinking a relay, which relay is it that controls this? is it located in the car or the bay.
josh
:)

MAXIBOY
08-10-2006, 20:49
no relay on the starting circuit. when you turn/ crank the starter whats the power arcross the battery.

joshydee
08-10-2006, 21:39
the starter doesn't crank, whats what im trying to sort at the moment. the power across the battery is 12.6v and the power from earth (ned terminal) to the pos on the starter motor is 12.6v, however there is no current coming through the wire that goes to the spade connector on the motor which if im correct is what operates the solenoid within? im gussing the reason for this not having any current traces back to the key barrel? is this correct?
ta

MAXIBOY
08-10-2006, 22:54
yes this is correct. should be a white wire that runs to the back of the ignition barrel. on the diaramme it has two connectors. check you have 12.6 volts at the back of the ignition barrel. then go from there

joshydee
08-10-2006, 23:26
yes this is correct. should be a white wire that runs to the back of the ignition barrel. on the diaramme it has two connectors. check you have 12.6 volts at the back of the ignition barrel. then go from there
Nice one mate, ill give this a check tomorrow. when you say the diagram? have you got some exploded views or something?
thanks for your help guys
josh :D

MAXIBOY
09-10-2006, 12:06
yes mate i have a full wiring diagram for the eletrics in the haynes manuel.

Chris H
10-10-2006, 09:00
fpmsl at another lunner classic.

is the starter actually dead or has the solenoid wire simply broken off the spade/not connected?

Jack the thing up, stick it in 4th and get someone to spin the wheel with the ignition on, should spark, take th eplugs out and this is much easier.

joshydee
11-10-2006, 00:44
Right, got the new starter motor in and turns over fine now. every plug getting a decent spark but it still isn't firing. Fuel supply appears good as plugs are wet. tried the old 2 stroke trick of putting a lil bit of petrol in every plug hole to see if it would fire, It did.... just can't understand why it won't run now the spark is good. Injectors? give me ideas folks?
ta

Chris H
11-10-2006, 08:08
yeah its flooded.

joshydee
11-10-2006, 09:37
What shall i do now then? take plugs out and leave them out for a bit?
ta

Chris H
11-10-2006, 10:09
floor the throttle, unplug the 5th injector uinder the manifold crankl the mofo.

joshydee
11-10-2006, 10:48
right tried undoing the 5th injector and turning her over. Still no sign of wanting to fire, the plugs are dry now. Thought it would show some signs of life?
ta

Chris H
11-10-2006, 11:07
not even a stutter?

joshydee
11-10-2006, 14:02
nope not even a stutter. Going to try it again after work. ive put the battery on charge to make sure its not that. what should be the voltage from the battery when its turining over?
ta
josh :?

MAXIBOY
11-10-2006, 15:03
abuut 9v i think. have you tried easy start. if you spray a little of this in and it fires you have a fuel problem. if it does not a spark problem. then we can go from there.

Andyvalver
11-10-2006, 15:13
Are all the earths connected? My car wouldnt start for 2 days when i had a dodgy earth lol, then it did and ran for a week then stopped again lol

****in thing :x Fine now ive sorted it though.

Sounds stupid i know but i replaced ecu's coils and al sorts and it was just a loose earth

Chris H
11-10-2006, 16:30
shouldn't go below 10V when cranking.

earths are that common everyone knows abotu them including my gran

joshydee
11-10-2006, 16:43
the earth strap is earthed under the wheelarch and i cleaned the connection yesterday with some wet n dry. Will try this again but would the starter crank if earth was dodgy and would i get a spark? should i be using the earth wire from the gearbox or block itself?
ta
josh :P

MAXIBOY
11-10-2006, 18:55
gearbox earth earths the engine

joshydee
12-10-2006, 09:50
Shes alive :) when the new engine was fitted some numpty put the fuel pipes on the wrong way round. :)
ta

Andyvalver
12-10-2006, 10:40
Shes alive :) when the new engine was fitted some numpty put the fuel pipes on the wrong way round. :)
ta

:lol: