PDA

View Full Version : Flushing the oil and cleaning

Allan
24-04-2005, 21:18
Right i want to get my engine flushed out, anyone recommend a good flush i can put into my oil to clean it all out ???

Slithers
24-04-2005, 23:56
Wynns engine flush, i have some of this but i haven't used it yet as im a bit fearful of it knakering the piston rings as redex did on me 205 gti.

I was waiting for some 2nd opinions actually aswell.

Allan
24-04-2005, 23:58
eeek i been using redex too lol
will put that somewhere out the way then lol

Mark_Ritchspeed
25-04-2005, 10:26
I only use an engine flush when the oil is in particularly bad state as (regardless of whos product it is) they can often be more hassle than doing any good. I will use them if the oil has not been changed for a long time or if the head-gasket has gone causing water contamination, but thats about the only times.

FWIW when I do use a flush I always use the Millers version. But that might have something to with the fact that were Millers stockists. :)

Allan
25-04-2005, 11:00
Welll i just got the car did an oil change and the stuff that came out was a black sludge ! and that was when it was a warm!

soi was thinking im either going to run it in for a bit on the new oil or flush it !

as it makes all sorts of funny noises when cold

Slithers
25-04-2005, 19:46
Welll i just got the car did an oil change and the stuff that came out was a black sludge ! and that was when it was a warm!

soi was thinking im either going to run it in for a bit on the new oil or flush it !

as it makes all sorts of funny noises when cold

I asked my mech today about oil flushes and he says theyre good when they work but can go wrong, i.e cleaning giunk of so well that you get oil leaks.

Purple
26-04-2005, 03:03
Right i want to get my engine flushed out, anyone recommend a good flush i can put into my oil to clean it all out ???

Instead of using engine flush fluids, I would go though a few cycles of very quick engine oil changes. About 3 changes over a period of a month and run the engine slightly higher than normal. That usually get rid of whatever gunk that's in there. But I recommend regular syn oil changes and you won't get much gunk in the first place.

yade
28-04-2005, 12:22
I would recommend DONT use any engine flush. it tends to do more harm than good. Instead change the oil for some cheaper stuff. Run if for a week and change it again, repeat then after 2nd time put some good quality stuff like Millers oil in there