PDA

View Full Version : Torsion bars

Foz
06-10-2006, 00:09
Just a quick question, heard that if you only take out one bar at a time then one side will be higher than the other? Should both sides be taken out? Just that I also heard if both sides are taken out then it can do summat bad to it? lol. Dunno anyway, cheers guys, Rob.

Winston
06-10-2006, 00:15
I do them one side at a time and use a ruler to get them bang on the same (when i can get them out lol)

nyk
06-10-2006, 00:17
same ere, I measured mine from the bottom of the arch to the centre of the hub to get the same height on both sides.

As far as I am aware its not physically possible to take both out at once, unless you have a friend helping on one side. :?

And you certainly cant whack both back in with a hammer at once on your own! LOL

Winston
06-10-2006, 00:19
Good points lol

nyk
06-10-2006, 00:21
If your gonna attempt it and have never done it before, use a guide, some people have them on here I think, search the threads.

A little tip, peirce a hole in the dust caps over the torsion bars and keep spraying in penetrating oil for a week or so before you attempt it.

:lol:

Jimmie1.4RT
06-10-2006, 11:44
I always do one side at once.

Personal favourate way of doing it:
Big socket, nut and bolt!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/JimmieClio/Lowering%20the%20Clio/lowering7.jpg

25mins a side, I'm still a novice! :P

nyk
06-10-2006, 11:49
Personal favourate way of doing it:
Big socket, nut and bolt!

Thats the only was I know how to do it, plus a hammer and a bit of force as well like. LOL

When I first did mine one side came out straight away, the other side was a real biatch and took about half an hour and 3 screws + 4 bolts, as I kept rounding the bolts off trying to get it out by jumping on it to make it move LOL!! Now it takes 10 mins, they fly in and out.

midge
06-10-2006, 12:08
i always do both at the same time.

nyk
06-10-2006, 14:06
How do you take out both bars at the same time?

Surely with a friend helping you on the other side????

DaveH
06-10-2006, 18:27
i do both at same time. Car on axle stands and a trolley jack under the very centre of axle. when both are out its just a case of jacking the axle up to where you want it and sliding both in, you need to fiddle getting the jack right to line splines up but once its done both slide in.

Nothing bad happens when theyre both out because theyre not under any flex until its on the floor.

DaveH
06-10-2006, 18:29
Oh and you can use a slide hammer to get them out but its far easier to use the bolt,socket,nut combo!

schakal
06-10-2006, 21:17
Oh and you can use a slide hammer to get them out but its far easier to use the bolt,socket,nut combo!

interesting :)
how is it easier mate ??

DaveH
07-10-2006, 01:25
im only going off my personal experience but you need to put a lot more effort in to get the bars out when using a slide hammer and it just wasnt happening for me lol when i put the socket over it the bar just p*ssed out.

Suppose it depends on how seized in the bars are but in general i would say the socket method is best

Jimmie1.4RT
07-10-2006, 09:38
Socket method does less damage to the splines than a slide hammer, doesn't it? Thats what I was told. :)

TriO`
07-10-2006, 10:21
i did both sides at once when i did mine

Getting them out wasn't the problem... but getting them back in was a right bitch