PDA

View Full Version : waxoyl/dinitrol

Ahmed Bayjoo
05-10-2006, 23:17
has anybody waxoyled their car (arches / sills)?

worth while doing

nyk
05-10-2006, 23:20
Treated my inner arches and sills with underseal followed by hammerite in dark blue to make em look a bit nicer.

Protects enough in my eyes.

:lol:

Ahmed Bayjoo
05-10-2006, 23:21
did u do it yourself nyk?

how easy is it to do

nyk
05-10-2006, 23:28
I certainly did do it myself.

Paint brush and away you go.

Jobs a gud un!

:lol:

Ahmed Bayjoo
05-10-2006, 23:30
that easy :D

ok will look into it deeper then, if it stops the car rusting must be worthwhile

nyk
05-10-2006, 23:32
If there is a bit of surface rust, just wire brush it off first and clean em up. Dab with a bit of rust proofing from your local motor factors store then get painting.

LOL

Ahmed Bayjoo
05-10-2006, 23:38
your method does seem straight forward and easy.
i was reading sum stuff on waxoyl and that has to be pressure sprayed on, im not forking out for all that equipment!

did u take your car to the garage and raise it on their stands?

any links to where i can buy the underseal or wat kind u used :)

nyk
05-10-2006, 23:42
I did it with the 2ton trolley jack at home, I used Schultz underseal and hammerite which can be bought from any good motor store, like halfords or motor world, whatever you have near you.

You can go to the extreme by putting wax oil through a gun, but on a 12/13yr old car, unless its absolutley mint to start with there is no point spending that sort of money.

Theres no need to make protecting your car complicated.

Get some underseal, hammerite and a 50p paint brush. Did my car a treat anyways.

MattyH16valver
05-10-2006, 23:43
your method does seem straight forward and easy.
i was reading sum stuff on waxoyl and that has to be pressure sprayed on, im not forking out for all that equipment!

did u take your car to the garage and raise it on their stands?

any links to where i can buy the underseal or wat kind u used :)
I bought a spray can of clear waxoyl from halfords and used it on my arches, sills, boot, in-sides of doors etc.....seemed like pretty good stuff and can be applied straight from the spray can. Trouble is...its a bastard to get of when u wanna take it off in the summer....so be warned...don't go too mad! :wink: Matt

Ahmed Bayjoo
05-10-2006, 23:49
big help thnx :D

seems easier than i thought to do,
so u basically are applying the stuff to whereever water can get to.

matt , might be a dumb question, but why would u want to take it off :oops:

nyk
05-10-2006, 23:54
Dont do it out of a can, not precise enough unless you wanna mask half the car up. If your anything like me you'll end up with overspray half up the side of your car. Even tho its clear you'll still see it.

Do it with the brush, much easier.

MattyH16valver
06-10-2006, 00:02
big help thnx :D

seems easier than i thought to do,

matt , might be a dumb question, but why would u want to take it off :oops:

Well, as nyk said, it's quite difficult to apply without spraying it everywhere...I did this on my arches and they looked a bit strange and untidy. When it came to the summer this year I got some hot water and a mitt and scrubs it off. Think I'll do the underseal and waxoyl only where necessary and the rest of the car/arches etc...top up with normal wax P21 etc.

Ahmed Bayjoo
06-10-2006, 00:10
agreed, i dont trust myself :) be safer with a brush

nyk
06-10-2006, 00:13

I applied it on the sills, inner of rear arches (fronts are plastic anyways).

Also a good set of mud flaps will stop all the crap going up the side/back of your car as well and are worth using for protection in the winter alone.

Andy
06-10-2006, 07:17
i did mine we have a pressure sprayer put 15 lt of dintrol all over underneath sills all box sections lot of hard work and mucky best off having the car stripped out to do it and be warned i was high as a kite for 3 months afterwards ..

they do a kit from halfords in waxoil

you get a hand pump and a sprayer not the best way but the cheapest

MAXIBOY
06-10-2006, 11:20
as the renaults usually rust from the inside out you really need to get into the areas behind the wheel arches and sill with a pressure spraying kit to halt the rusting process. i would use dinitrol over any thing else on the market place as its proven to be the best time and time again. injecting into the sills behind the arches into the door bottom inside the chassis sections etc and then paiting or spraying the entire underneath of the vehicle. try http://www.frost.co.uk/ if you cant find it locally.

nyk
06-10-2006, 16:00
as the renaults usually rust from the inside out you really need to get into the areas behind the wheel arches and sill with a pressure spraying kit to halt the rusting process. i would use dinitrol over any thing else on the market place as its proven to be the best time and time again. injecting into the sills behind the arches into the door bottom inside the chassis sections etc and then paiting or spraying the entire underneath of the vehicle. try http://www.frost.co.uk/ if you cant find it locally.

NOTHING you can do will halt rust.

You can only protect it from bad weather to slow down the process or if your car is mint stop any rust from occurring.

There is absolutley nothing you can do to stop rust from getting any worse, it is inevitable, the only answer is cut it out. This sort of protection will help protect those vulnerable areas from the weather etc and help stop them from getting any worse quickly, it wont stop the rust all together.

MAXIBOY
06-10-2006, 18:03
Dinitrol contains chemicals that will slow down the rusting process. used to work on classics a lot and seen independant testing where dinitrol slows the rusting process and stops it spreading by disapateing the moisture. nothing will stop it completely but if your spending time doing it might as well use the best products.

Ahmed Bayjoo
08-10-2006, 23:39
is it easy to take off the inner arch lining , when you do your arches?

MAXIBOY
09-10-2006, 11:53
front or rear. rears . remove the trim panels inside the car and you can get full access to the inner rears. front you have to remove the plastic guards in the wheel well but its all easy access. the inside the sills are the most difficult area as you need a 360 degree spray nozzle and hose.

Ahmed Bayjoo
09-10-2006, 13:19
thanx was asking bout the rears , but usefull to know about the fronts.

i dont suppose any one has pictures of them spraying or applying the stuff

MAXIBOY
09-10-2006, 17:26
could try some classic car websites. they always use this stuff. my only tip is it sprays much better when warm. i usually stand the container in a bucket of hot water before spraying as it makes a huge difference.

Daz.
09-10-2006, 17:39
This will be my project soon when I clear out the garage - might even take the 3 ton of mud and shit I noticed the other day in each arch!

Laine_16v
14-10-2006, 20:16
Why would u want to remove the waxoyl come summertime? i dont get it?

MattyH16valver
14-10-2006, 21:24
I only posted that I removed mine, cos I overdid it when I sprayed the stuff on...and it made the arches look shit. I did'nt actually take off any of the plastic trim, as some people have mentioned....I will try that this year, as the rust starts from behind the paintwork and makes it's way out.

Lunner
14-10-2006, 21:29

Plastic doesn't rust ;)

MatBrown
15-10-2006, 11:23

Plastic doesn't rust ;)

The inner arches do tho!
Trust me, the things you see with wings and bumpers off.

Mat.

Smokey McPot
15-10-2006, 12:23

NOTHING you can do will halt rust.

Can i just stop you there.....

There are many things you can do to stop rust, its simple chemistry. The easiest route is to use a donor metal, something slightly more reactive than the metal used in body work. The most common one is zinc, particularly in shipping.

You attach a donor metal to, or near to the rust and the oxidisation reaction will then take place on that, more reactive metal, instead of the body work.

Zinc paint can be purchased to give extra protection to bodywork to protect against rust. but rust can can be inhibited.

MatBrown
15-10-2006, 13:15
I think she means once it's started you can't stop it, unless you cut it out.

Mat.

stan
15-10-2006, 13:43
Thing is Smokey...any surface treatment tends to be destryoed after say 10 years...especially when you consider that fretting occurs between the typical lap joints, hence how it all starts.

Chris H
15-10-2006, 20:55
main issue with rear arch rust is the fact the factory varied on how many spot welds they used to attach the inner to the outer skins, this coupled with the large varience on seam sealer applied means some are bad others will never rot.