PDA

View Full Version : Cold starting problem... 16v

clio16valver
28-09-2006, 21:21
right guys, i was a member on here previoulsy known as clio_valver but since the sit went down i can no longer log in so i re registered

now on to my problem:

when i start the valver from cold it starts fine but then stalls straight away as soon as the revs come back downto idle.. if i put a few revs on it really struggles to get up to about 3k and as soon as i let off it stalls again, this has only happened since i removed the vacumn pipe and connector from the map sensor. also if i dip the clutch it stalls. when the car is warm the car idles fine. got to admit if i rev it and i have my hand on the inlet mani i can feel air blowing up the intake mani (only just remembere this so havnt checked all pipes)

i tought it could be the TPS but when warm it revs fine, drives fine etc

i have replaced the coolant temp sensor, lambda sensor which sorted my kangoring when warm, plugs, leads, dizzy cap and also cleaned ICV twice

any suggestions guys

james

Amirclio
28-09-2006, 21:25
Sooooooo is the Map sensor still disconected? it does sound like a vacuum leak, check all the vacuum pipes.

Laine_16v
28-09-2006, 21:27
Yes sounds MAP/Vacuum related imo, when i took it off once with th engine running, its causes very nasty idling on the verge of stalling.

clio16valver
28-09-2006, 21:30
Sooooooo is the Map sensor still disconected? it does sound like a vacuum leak, check all the vacuum pipes.

no the map sensor is connected up and the pipe refitted! were are all the ohter vacumn pipes, if i remove the vacumn pipe the engine stalls straight away but the problem i got is that the engine stalls even when the pipe is refitted

james

clio16valver
28-09-2006, 21:31
Yes sounds MAP/Vacuum related imo, when i took it off once with th engine running, its causes very nasty idling on the verge of stalling.

definatly agree, its a vacumn problem but my engine stalls instantly when it should be idling. im going to have to check all pipes but i havnt touched any but that one near the map sensor

james

clio16valver
29-09-2006, 17:48
any more pointers guys

james

dan-hipgrave
29-09-2006, 17:53
My engine has EXACTLY the same problem, have tried everything you have too, didnt think of checking vacuum pipes though :idea:

clio16valver
29-09-2006, 20:09
well im going to check all vacumn pipes and if i dont suceed there im taking it to the local tuning company and tell them to hook it up to there diagnostic comp

james

Chris H
29-09-2006, 20:54
right the air you feel at the manifold will be from the alts fan blades.

Even with an air leak the thing should start and run, the nois eit makes you can tell it it has an air leak or not.

Is the fuel pump running?

clio16valver
30-09-2006, 17:22
right, i think i have found the problem, the 3 wires on the TPS were all exposed and i presume they were shorting out on each other. i removed the sensor and now the swires are seperate it idles fine and runs fine

thanks for the help thought guys... appreciated

james

Lunner
30-09-2006, 17:37
when i first ran my engine i could hear a whistling noise, couldn't find what it was for ages, never worried too much as it ran spot on, then i found the vacume hose to the sensor by the o/s suspension turret was unplugged

clio16valver
30-09-2006, 17:40
tbh i was driving mine when i sorted the problem and i could hear a whistling, gonna have to double check all pipes tomorrow

james

dan-hipgrave
30-09-2006, 19:53
when i first ran my engine i could hear a whistling noise, couldn't find what it was for ages, never worried too much as it ran spot on, then i found the vacume hose to the sensor by the o/s suspension turret was unplugged

Thats plugged on mine, i did it when i swapped engines as the inlet didnt have a stub for it. It goes to the carbon canister doesnt it? Could that cause my idle problems?

Lunner
30-09-2006, 19:55
no, it goes to the hard metal pipe that runs along the yop of the o/s of the cam cover