PDA

View Full Version : Bad Idle & Misfire? - Engine Isn't Well

Jimmie1.4RT
27-09-2006, 22:56
First off! Please don't think I'm a newbie coming for help then going to bugger off! Am actually a full member (I know Northy is working on it :) with aload more posts)!

My phase 1 1.4RT is running a 1.8 Laguna TB and on 93k miles.

I've had idle problems for a while, the first case was solved with a new idle control valve (ICV), (that came with my 1.8 Laguna throttle body), so it used to idle low anyway.
A fortnight ago, idle became a little more erratic (very low, 5-600rpm and then feeling shuggish and 'hunting'?? (jerking about like I was jabbing the throttle).
So got hold of another ICV from a 1.4 and fitted it to the 1.8 throttle body. Not much different, it still idles at 600rpm....

The other problem is possibly a misfire? I seem to get this 'hunting'(?) and a lag when accelerating, sometimes it won't accelerate above 2.5 rpm at all. Seems more apparent when the engine isn't up to temp'. Sometimes, when I hold the throttle open by the cable, revs drop and raise all on their own. :shock:

Think I've got a couple of problems?
- Bad idle, could it be the lamda sensor?
- Misfire? NKG plugs are no more than 12 months old. Do distribuator caps need replacing? No obvious signs of damage to the leads. I've got a spare coil pack - worth changing trying that?

Any suggestions much appreciated, as my engines running like a bag of rubbish. :cry:

Laine_16v
27-09-2006, 23:01
Inspect your dizzy cap and rotor arm mate.

Amirclio
28-09-2006, 17:28
If its missing, worst case scenario could be head gasket?

Jimmie1.4RT
28-09-2006, 23:02
Damn, it is getting through water and becoming noisey. :(

rt_blackpool
30-09-2006, 07:53
if its going through water then yeah, it could be the HG! had one go on my old 1.4 RT. :(
i had a sim prob on my vavlver, but i dont know how much help the info will be but i'll post it anyway.

1st time i had a misfire i had knocked an injector lead off when working on the engine (must have caught my sleve or something)

2nd time i had a shit idle and stalling and misfire it was the TPS (little red thing on the trottle body of the valver/willy engine) the 3 wires had totally coroded and were shorting out on each other.

Amirclio
30-09-2006, 15:54
But if is getting through water then it sounds like the head gasket :(

clio16valver
30-09-2006, 17:21
2nd time i had a s**t idle and stalling and misfire it was the TPS (little red thing on the trottle body of the valver/willy engine) the 3 wires had totally coroded and were shorting out on each other.

exactly the problem i have just had, i need a new tps but for now i have heat shrinked the wires seperatly

james

rt_blackpool
30-09-2006, 19:59
2nd time i had a s**t idle and stalling and misfire it was the TPS (little red thing on the trottle body of the valver/willy engine) the 3 wires had totally coroded and were shorting out on each other.

exactly the problem i have just had, i need a new tps but for now i have heat shrinked the wires seperatly

james

yep, we totally stripped the whole thing and and wrapped each set of wires in electritions tape. mate has got a new TPS for me but havnt had chance to pick it up yet.

Jimmie1.4RT
18-10-2006, 17:36
Just fitted brand new lambda, seems to have solved everything! :D