PDA

View Full Version : Mounts, Exhaust and knocking!

mattyc
27-09-2006, 20:36
Been having a lot of problems with my car while the forum has been down!

Firstly the dogbone mount went, taking the top gearbox mount with it (snapped the nut into the mount).

replaced the two mounts (also with a modified stronger bolt). Then i was getting serious vibrations through the chasis still etc, went to an exhaust place and they told me that it was the bolt for the dogbone resting on the downpipe.

Got the bolt turned around, no more vibrations!

now it drives fine, no gearstick movement etc but ... (theres allways a but wit h these renaults) when i make right turns under acceleration im getting a kind of grinding noise?

I have no idea what it could be but im thinking mayb driveshaft? another engine mount? i think these because when the other 2 mounts went the engine was hanging down to the left big time!

Another thing to bear in mind is i replaced the front brake pads in the time it was off the road, if this could be causing the noise?

Sorry bout the long post! hope someone can help!

Laine_16v
27-09-2006, 20:43
Can u feel a vibration through the wheel, or can you only hear the grinding?

mattyc
27-09-2006, 20:49
can only hear it m8! the thing is... as a driver i think its coming from the drivers front side but when ever someone else sits in the car where ever they are they think its from there lol! so its hard to find out where its coming from ://

jamie
27-09-2006, 20:55
Sounds just like a wheel bearing, jack up car on both sides and give the wheel a good shake and see if there is any play in the wheel.

mattyc
27-09-2006, 22:26
Would wheel bearings not make noise when not in gear then?

So annoying how everything go's wrong at once! Im off to uni on friday as well and leaving the car at home, so i'll be dealing wit this problem at christmas ! :(