PDA

View Full Version : Diet Williams

TwisT
23-04-2005, 00:38
whats the best way to cut weight so increasing performance of a williams ? keeping it (fairly!) road legal.... (i dont want to cut the floor carpet out or remove door cards)

so far i can think of:-

carbon side mirrors
carbon bonnet
remove spare wheel
plastic/other windows
remove back seats

any other suggestions ?
are the gold speedline wheels heavy? kg?

VIPERONE
23-04-2005, 00:40
5 miles per day every day..

you can loose weight :-)

Enid
23-04-2005, 00:46
A regular thrash on a twisty B road should do the job :D

TwisT
23-04-2005, 00:47
lol i dont have a beer gut quite yet :roll: :lol: spose i could but max 5kgs !

Winston
23-04-2005, 00:49
Remove anything you can live without...... :D

Carbon willy bonnets weigh 8kg .....roughly a 50% weight saving using carbon.

See www.carbonnut.com for all your carbon fibre needs

Willy wheels are light.....but you can get lighter :wink:

summeh
23-04-2005, 03:20
speedlines = 7kg's... thats a good weight.
carbon bonnet, u can get them down to 4kg's (fibreglass would be cheaper)
carbon tailgate (no structural stength here so why not)
carbon mirrors (no point they are plastic anyway)

lose the spare wheel, jack, wrench, and spare wheel cage, saving = 22.5kg's.
pull the carpet up and get rid of the underlay stuff (shud be good for about 10kg's or so).
lighter brake calipers, dunno how much that wud save but standard are shit anyway
light weight battery (std batterys weigh a TONNE)
remove reserve fuel tank (it holds 10 litres so about 15kg saving).
you could replace glass with lexan - not sure on weight saving.
stainless steel exhaust system - heck of a lot lighter than mildsteel for some reason - maybe half the weight of OE part.

these are the things i'll be doing to my williams over time, always trying to keep its "original" appearance.

you could strip the interior but isn't something i'll be doing.

GazTwo
23-04-2005, 06:37
Right lads this was a test which u all FAILED miserably....U SHOULD NOT BE INCORAGING PEOPLE TO STRIP THERE WILLIAMS!!!!

This is against WilliamsClio's rules and I will be forced to report u t o the Strombernator should any of this nosense carry on.

U'VE BEEN WARNED!!!!!

Rich
23-04-2005, 10:12
ROFLMAO! think gaz is a bit upset at people stripping down their cars!

TwisT
23-04-2005, 10:43
Some good ideas there Summeh, thats about 50kgs i can knock off :D

where could i get fiberglass boothatch and bonnet though ?

KingStromba
23-04-2005, 10:56
Any stripped Williams' at the fcs shall encounter a heavy penalty from the club henchman :D

Have a nice day

summeh
23-04-2005, 12:19
TwisT, I reckon doing those should be good for about 120Kg's of weight reduction, taking you down to 840Kg's (std = 960Kg's)

When I removed my spare wheel and bits it added to 22.5kg's alone, quite a saving... So doing that lot shud be a good saving, although it's not going to be cheap !

You could try carbonnut as stated above for carbon bonnet etc, but there bonnet will only take u down to 8Kg's in weight which is only 50% reduction, some people have bonnet's weighing 4kg's which is 75% reduction.

FATBOY
23-04-2005, 12:57
Any stripped Williams' at the fcs shall encounter a heavy penalty of bumming from the club henchman :D

Have a nice day

:shock:

big hp
23-04-2005, 13:11
Any stripped Williams' at the fcs shall encounter a heavy penalty of bumming from the club henchman :D

Have a nice day

I'm off out to strip my car

:shock: Whatever floats your boat.

Tommo
23-04-2005, 13:58
Twist

I might be selling my fibreglass bonnet soon, trying to get the willy back to the original look, won't be for a few weeks yet tho, I'll keep you posted. Sensible offers please!! Photo's can be seen here

http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=13&TopicID=152223&PagePosition=9

There a few stone chips but apart from that it's in good condition and more importantly very light!! I'll be bringing it to the FCS if you're going? PM me if you're interested

Cheers
Col

TwisT
25-04-2005, 07:58
TwisT, I reckon doing those should be good for about 120Kg's of weight reduction, taking you down to 840Kg's (std = 960Kg's)

When I removed my spare wheel and bits it added to 22.5kg's alone, quite a saving... So doing that lot shud be a good saving, although it's not going to be cheap !

You could try carbonnut as stated above for carbon bonnet etc, but there bonnet will only take u down to 8Kg's in weight which is only 50% reduction, some people have bonnet's weighing 4kg's which is 75% reduction.

840kg sounds perfect :D that should boost the bhp/ton to a nice level,

plus better handling and braking, see (k.stromba) there are many plus points.....

J o n
25-04-2005, 08:21
it will increase BHP/ton but it wont handle better. The cars were designed with the interior in mind and a full tank of petrol. My car handles worse when on low fuel as the back end is twitchier imo... braking will certainly be better tho, although you might want to adjust the bias valve a bit more!

NickFr
25-04-2005, 08:39
I would be surprised if you achieve any worthwhile performance advantage, in reality how much is lost having a passenger in the car with you? alot of cost and hassel IMHO. The good thing is that KS car is increasing in value with every Williams that is chopped :wink:

KingStromba
25-04-2005, 09:16
Haha. Strip it :D

Mark_Ritchspeed
25-04-2005, 10:48
Standard seats weigh an absolute ton. I cant remember the exact weights, but my 2 Sparco Evo2's (complete with brackets) weighed less than 1 Willy seat.

Mine is quite heavily stripped, but to be honest with the weight thats gone back on i.e 17 point roll cage, underbody gaurding, fire extinguishers I very much doubt mine is less than 900kgs.

Standard wheels are also pretty light and very strong in comparison to all but the most expensive after market ones.

Lunner
26-04-2005, 18:07
Most of you are all lightweight..or heavyweights.

My car has lost.....

Spare wheel + cage
Carpet
Headliner
All seats, replaced wiht 2 9kg bucket seats
ALL rear trim
centre console
seatbelts
trim off boot lid
all sound deanening
all front trim bar door cards (soon to be replaced), dasha nd A piller covers
sun visors
grab handles

......and i'm sure there is more, but thats all i can think of at the moment

KingStromba
26-04-2005, 18:15
Too much weight off the back surely?

Martin
26-04-2005, 19:45
890kgs ....hehe
http://img177.echo.cx/img177/5795/interioirresprayedit3qx.jpg

TwisT
26-04-2005, 21:12
I would be surprised if you achieve any worthwhile performance advantage, in reality how much is lost having a passenger in the car with you? alot of cost and hassel IMHO. The good thing is that KS car is increasing in value with every Williams that is chopped :wink:

maybe its just me then, but i notice a big difference when a 16st/100kg m8 rides with me in the car, although maybe cost and hassle of stripping and then refitting come sale time is offset by cams and chip