PDA

View Full Version : Clunking When Setting Off

Swervin_Mervin
26-06-2006, 10:26
Occasionally, unless I feed the clutch in really, really smoothly and applaying a constant amount of revvage, there is now a clunking from the front.

It only clunks once, as though something is taking up some slack as you load the drivetrain up. You have to be mega smooth with the throttle and clutch to not get it.

I have a horrible feeling something's about to break but what's it likely to be?

Amirclio
26-06-2006, 11:26
Ive had this or a similar problem. It turned out to be the down pipe hitting the subframe. Have you had the exhuast fiddled with or changed? how long has the noise been there?

Amir

northy
26-06-2006, 11:35
not having much look are u pal.

Swervin_Mervin
26-06-2006, 11:50
Not had the exhaust changed Amir no. It feels almost as though there's slack in the driveshaft and that as the gearbox rotates it takes up slack.

That's what it feels like, but christ knows what it actually is.

Northy, this problem aside, it's mechanically been bob on for a while now. Just needs a service.

Anders
26-06-2006, 11:55
Not an engine mount or strut top mount? Is it when the loading is applied or when the car starts to move due to the loading?

You can check for play in your driveshaft/diff by jacking the car up..mounts or bushes check with lever bar for excessive movement..

failing that mate..not sure either.

Swervin_Mervin
26-06-2006, 12:27
It's only when the car starts moving Anders, not once moving.

willy3
26-06-2006, 12:31
could be the dogbone mount, do you get it if you change gear at high revs?????

Lunner
26-06-2006, 12:39
I had the samer thing, i'd forgotten to torque the bolts up on the one front wheel :oops:

Swervin_Mervin
26-06-2006, 12:40
Nope. It does pop out of 2nd occasionally though, but Nick Hill reckoned that was because I'd bent the selector forks. Does that very rarely, usually only when giving it some beans, and down changing at revs.

diggs04
26-06-2006, 18:23
i have this same clunking does yours clonk when you brake too sometimes? mine does it when pulling away and when braking sometimes. ive just brought a set of wishbones with ball joints too hoping this will solve it.

VIPERONE
26-06-2006, 18:45
i have this same clunking does yours clonk when you brake too sometimes? mine does it when pulling away and when braking sometimes. ive just brought a set of wishbones with ball joints too hoping this will solve it.

snap

me 2

Lunner
26-06-2006, 19:21
Check your wheels are all on properly lol

Daz
26-06-2006, 20:44
I get the same..

Ever since I had the engine out with new engine mounts (one was uprated Hill Power dog bone) so figured it might be that?

Either way.. it goes clunk unless, as you say, you feed it nicely with revs.

Andyvalver
26-06-2006, 20:48
My downpipe hits the dogbone mount like a bitch. Does my ****in head in and ive tried everythin to sort it. My current solution is some massive jubalie clip holding the exhaust to one side 8) Works a treat too lol

Lunner
26-06-2006, 21:04
hitting the bogbone or the bolts, shoudln't be that close to the dogbone :?

Andyvalver
26-06-2006, 21:49
hitting the bogbone or the bolts, shoudln't be that close to the dogbone :?

tell me bout it, i dont get it. Its the downpipe, when i turn right it rubs on it. Sounds like a ****ed shaft proper :x

summeh
26-06-2006, 23:58
My downpipe hits the dogbone mount like a bitch. Does my F***IN head in and ive tried everythin to sort it. My current solution is some massive jubalie clip holding the exhaust to one side 8) Works a treat too lol

bolt is the wrong way around then... the nut needs to go on the end further away from the exhaust. this does mean tho that u have to take the exhaust off to change dogbone.

summeh
26-06-2006, 23:58
My downpipe hits the dogbone mount like a bitch. Does my F***IN head in and ive tried everythin to sort it. My current solution is some massive jubalie clip holding the exhaust to one side 8) Works a treat too lol

bolt is the wrong way around then... the nut needs to go on the end further away from the exhaust. this does mean tho that u have to take the exhaust off to change dogbone.

or get a shorter bolt.

summeh
26-06-2006, 23:59
Occasionally, unless I feed the clutch in really, really smoothly and applaying a constant amount of revvage, there is now a clunking from the front.

It only clunks once, as though something is taking up some slack as you load the drivetrain up. You have to be mega smooth with the throttle and clutch to not get it.

I have a horrible feeling something's about to break but what's it likely to be?

isn't that a sympton of a knackered ball joint?

Adi82
01-10-2006, 02:48
Got a similar problem with mine. Planning to change the dog bone mount first to see if that solves it, although i fear its more than that. Possibly inner cv joint or worse differential. If its the drivetrain taking up slack more than likely a cv joint. Should be having a go at mine this week so will let you know how i get on.

Although after reading your problem again it may be different as mine does it several times, the car loses and gains drive every so often. If it just does it once then could be something like dog bone mount.

adi

Swervin_Mervin
04-10-2006, 11:10
Mine grinds on r/h-ers. I suspect ball joint.

pat_986
04-10-2006, 11:42
I also have a simmilar prob, but in the last few monts i have replaced;

Driveshafts
Wishbones
track rod ends
inner+outer ARB bushes
All three engine Gbox mounts

And the noise is still there :(

When I get some cash will replace the top mounts
and check all the subframe bolts ( am i correct in saying only one of the four bolts has a spacer??thinking this is worn out)

Swervin_Mervin
04-10-2006, 12:11
I reckon diff could be your problem. Play in the input shaft bearings is something i know I have anyway.

cliopete
04-10-2006, 23:01
I think pat_986 may have got the right solution. Subframe mounting.
I recently had this problem with an occasional clunk when setting off, usually at road junctions when setting off with some steering lock applied. It only started to happen after I fitted a new gearbox which required dropping the subframe at one side to remove the box. Checked all the subframe mountings to make sure they were all nice and tight but the o/s rear mounting, the one with the rubber mounting bush would not move at all, the bolt had seized in the metal sleeve of the mounting bush. Hacked it off with angle grinder and replaced with new bush, fixing nut and bolt. problem solved. :D
Does anybody know why only one of the subframe bolts is rubber mounted?

pat_986
05-10-2006, 11:42
Pete, I think mine is seized, seemed tight the other day, but only spent a few mins on it.

If I took the subframe off compleatly (want to paint it) Is it just four main bolts underneath and the two small bolts that join the wishbones to the inner arch??

cliopete
05-10-2006, 23:43
If I took the subframe off completely (want to paint it) Is it just four main bolts underneath and the two small bolts that join the wishbones to the inner arch??

Basically yes, it depends on what you are trying to achieve. The full procedure for removing the subframe complete with engine and gearbox is in the Williams Technical Manual which is available as a downloadable pdf file. I think I found it on Lunner,s web site