PDA

View Full Version : Hi and Help from Lisbon

TurboLentoGTT
25-06-2006, 15:06
Hello people.

I’m Gonçalo from Lisbon in Portugal.
I dont have a Clio but i drive a close relative to the clio (R5 GT Turbo) .

I have in sight a 1993 Williams 1 with around 125000miles and 1 owner from new.

I would like to know what is your opinion on buying a Williams with this milage and also what points should I look for when buying a williams.

Thanks for the help.

dan-hipgrave
25-06-2006, 15:28
There are plenty of higher mileage Williams/1.8 16v's around than that mate. As long as its got a good service history and has been well maintained the mileage shouldnt be too much of a problem.

As for what else to look out for:

- Steering column play (very easy to fix, just weld up the UJ)
- Rust on sills/rear arches and door bottoms, common and not so easy to fix
- Gearbox, check for crunching when changing gears or popping out of gear, again not an easy fix and very expensive
- Movement in the gearstick under acceleration, usually due to the dogbone mount, which is an easy fix and wears really easily.

Im sure theres more others will list :D

Purple
25-06-2006, 15:36
I have done almost the same mileage on mine. Since it has been run regularly by the same owner for all these years, I would assumed it has been reasonably well cared for. If you can, have a chat with the owner. He might tell you what needs to be seen to. Are there many Clio Williams in Lisbon?

TurboLentoGTT
25-06-2006, 15:42
Extensive rust problems are not usual in Portugal apar from the areas near the ocean. I'm more worried with the interior and exterior coz the engine can be done with time. I came from the GTTs and when we owne a GTT for 4 years we learn to leave with engine problems lol.

In Lisbon there are a few Williams and also the 1.8 16V.
There is also a 1.8 16V converted to williams.

My mate has one williams 1, cant remember the number in it but here are some pics of it when the engine was done to an inpressive 200Hp.

http://www.autopamplona.com/projectos.asp?id=5

Allan
25-06-2006, 16:04
The interiors are pritty robust (they last well), mainly check that the electrics work, i know some of the euro williams came with aircon so if its got that check its working it wont have a sunroof so you dont need to check for leaks :)

other then that just inspect the interior for damage (the door cards sag a lot by the drives side.

updated for fatboy :P

TurboLentoGTT
25-06-2006, 16:29
Thanks for the tips.
I still need to decide if i can sell the GTT or keep them both once i need to hask the bank for money.

The guy is asking 6666£ for it :oops:

Allan
25-06-2006, 16:55
is that euros ?

FATBOY
25-06-2006, 16:55
check for leeks allan??? why would he want to check for a welsh vegetable in his car??? :wink: £6,666 english pounds???? christ that is expensive! but then again i spose car prices vary in differant countries across europe?

Allan
25-06-2006, 16:56
if its about euros its about 4600 ish maybe around 4580

TurboLentoGTT
25-06-2006, 17:00
is that euros ?

6.666£ = ~10.000euros

The car prices in Portugal are the most stupid thing you can imagine.
A valver can cost hafe this price and a GTT can cost the same has a valver.

FATBOY
25-06-2006, 17:05
very very expensive! williams prices here are at a low at the moment, 1.5k up to 3k but you get what you pay for tho.

TurboLentoGTT
25-06-2006, 17:10
"you get what you pay for" thats 100% true.

Some cars in Portugal have aquired a status that make them reache this prices.

The most comun cases of this over proced cars are the GTT, Willians and also the corla AE86 this are the ones i remember buth thers more.

So in you opinion, if the interior and exterior is ok and if has a good maintenace history i should go for it and make the finalcial eforth on the next 4 years?

Allan
25-06-2006, 18:29
At the end of the day they are a nice car but use your common sense its only a car so dont pay over the odd's. Set yourself a price and then dont go over it, also look at what others of a similar type are going for in the area