PDA

View Full Version : Which brakes/lines?

stevie_b
22-06-2006, 13:29
1. I want to get some braided stainless flexible brake lines for my hybrid refurb. I've seen that both OMP and Goodridge do them (the latter being a bit cheaper). Is one make any better than another? Are there any other manufacturers that I should also be looking at?

2. I need to put in new brake pipes since I am rerouting them to put in an adjustable rear bias proportioning valve (so master cylinder will be split front/rear rather than opposite diagonals). The original Clio pipes have no corrosion (after 11 years!) on them since they are covered in some sort of green protectant coating. Does anyone know where you can buy new pipes like this, as the bare copper ones tend to corrode after a number of years?

3. Any recommendations for new calipers? Ideally I'd like to stick with the standard sized discs since the ones on it are fairly new and I have another spare brand new pair in the garage. Also they need to clear 15" wheels, although that shouldn't be a problem if the discs are remaining std. Is there anyone that does 4 pots that just bolt on in place? And/or lighter calipers that would fit (off another type of car?) as I would like to reduce unsprung mass.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

white16valver
22-06-2006, 13:52
I believe the Goodrich ones aren't long enough. Mat found that they are stretched when on full lock on my williams conversion so presumably it's the same for all williams. It would appear that they think valvers and williams are the same...

Swervin_Mervin
22-06-2006, 14:41
1. I want to get some braided stainless flexible brake lines for my hybrid refurb. I've seen that both OMP and Goodridge do them (the latter being a bit cheaper). Is one make any better than another? Are there any other manufacturers that I should also be looking at?

2. I need to put in new brake pipes since I am rerouting them to put in an adjustable rear bias proportioning valve (so master cylinder will be split front/rear rather than opposite diagonals). The original Clio pipes have no corrosion (after 11 years!) on them since they are covered in some sort of green protectant coating. Does anyone know where you can buy new pipes like this, as the bare copper ones tend to corrode after a number of years?

3. Any recommendations for new calipers? Ideally I'd like to stick with the standard sized discs since the ones on it are fairly new and I have another spare brand new pair in the garage. Also they need to clear 15" wheels, although that shouldn't be a problem if the discs are remaining std. Is there anyone that does 4 pots that just bolt on in place? And/or lighter calipers that would fit (off another type of car?) as I would like to reduce unsprung mass.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1: I would never touch OMP with a barge pole. Too much eGay promotion raises suspicions imo, but check the lengths of the Goodridge ones.

2: Renault sell the lines.

3: Has to be Wilwood's I imagine.

MAXIBOY
22-06-2006, 15:43
1. goodridge but check the length 2. buy copper nickle it does not corrode and use brass fitting. will out live the car. 3. wilwoods hi spec brembo ap racing. whats the budget

stevie_b
23-06-2006, 21:46
Thanks guys. No real budget in mind. I'm guessing that if you are limited by 15" rims then you won't be able to fit anything too crazy (and therefore expensive) to it anyway? The car will be under 800kg so shouldn't need real monster stoppers.

ben_j
23-06-2006, 22:18
283mm willwood 4 pots will fit under 15's. u wont regret buying them either! awesome stoppers.

cliorod
24-06-2006, 01:24
Hi guys,
Been out tonite :oops: :lol: so excuse the spelling etc etc.
If you give Matthew a ring at "Think Automotive",website below,They will make any hoses any size ~~ just need a pattern.I found them at least half the price of OMP and the others.They can supply the whole range of hoses,ffittings etc etc :lol: :lol: You will be surprised at the cost .
www.thinkauto.com Not just brake hoses,but oil cooler kits/hoses etc etc.
Rod. ~~~~ Had one too many shandies :roll: :roll: :roll:

clowo16v
24-06-2006, 08:54
Just incase you don't know you shouldn't use copper for brake lines as it work hardens with vibration which can cause it to fail. The proper material to use is kunifer. You could also use stainless steel but this needs supporting very well as it work hardens also.

Matt

Chris H
24-06-2006, 09:04
Kunifer is harder to source than copper. Copper is also ok for use in cars.

I have yet to see one fracture. Soft as shit though so if you go ovr somethign it can squash the poipe or burst it.

Daz.
24-06-2006, 09:29
Woooooah whats all this goodridge brake line malarky?

I got some the other day and are about to get them fitted? :shock:

wavy
24-06-2006, 13:29
I believe the Goodrich ones aren't long enough

Woooooah whats all this goodridge brake line malarky?

thats a shocker :shock: all ways the last to know m8 :( hope it goes well for ya :)

Daz.
24-06-2006, 13:39
Typical ain't it!?!

I hope someone confirms that I can use these or i'll be very ****ed off!!

Demon Tweeks will be getting them back otherwise!

Twincam
24-06-2006, 21:25
I had no issue with length when fitting my Goodrich hoses so i shouldnt worry, im sure Maxi meant check them to be sure there the right ones

As for brake lines i'v got copper nickle and have had no problems, (touch wood :wink: )

Also when fitting them theres an extra hole already in the gromet which the throttle cable runs through which means 1 less hole to drill and seal :D

Allan
25-06-2006, 00:29
im on some goodrich ones from rally design, they work and fit fine

stevie_b
25-06-2006, 10:45
so if you go ovr somethign it can squash the poipe or burst it.

Thanks. I should be okay as I never had any problems with the old ones and this set will be running down to the back inside the car, so should be well protected (unless I drop some heavy shopping on them :lol: )

Also when fitting them theres an extra hole already in the gromet which the throttle cable runs through which means 1 less hole to drill and seal

I have a choice of a few holes! Now I've stripped out the bonnet release (GRP bonnet and pins now) and headlight adjusters I should have somewhere I can thread it through. Cheers.

Daz.
25-06-2006, 12:52
I had no issue with length when fitting my Goodrich hoses so i shouldnt worry, im sure Maxi meant check them to be sure there the right ones

As for brake lines i'v got copper nickle and have had no problems, (touch wood :wink: )

Also when fitting them theres an extra hole already in the gromet which the throttle cable runs through which means 1 less hole to drill and seal :D

Are you running a willy though?

Daz.
25-06-2006, 12:53
im on some goodrich ones from rally design, they work and fit fine

Aye but you run a valver do you not?

arj256
25-06-2006, 14:26
I cant see the issue with the Goodridges not being long enough, just check the length against the standard ones then you should know if there the correct size.

I think people are getting mixed up with the normal Goodridges not being long enough for Wilwoods?

Allan
25-06-2006, 14:33
yeah im running a valver with normal track :P