PDA

View Full Version : Brakes... possibly fooked servo?

BigBoreBri
19-06-2006, 22:36
Well this is me mates sisters 1.4 RT, the pedal goes flat to the floor and wont "pump" up at all, brake fluid looked low but i cant see any leaks and the vacum pipe is still attacted with no whistling or wheezing sounds to indicate a split pipe etc...

Im thinking the servo's gone or a seal within it etc... anyone had one out before on a RT as it looks a beatch to get at! :roll:

Beyond that any other ideas?? From what she told me the brakes dont do a lot but she has managed to lock up the fronts (dont ask why she had to do that, lol) so anyhoo the master cylinder sounds intact like...

Cheers, Bri.

MAXIBOY
19-06-2006, 22:56
sounds like the master cylinder mate. is the drivers side carpet wet. leaking in to car. servo should not effect brakes when trhe engines not running. thus should be able to bleed brakes and get pedal even if the servos fuc*ed.

2 live
20-06-2006, 08:24
bias valve on the rear ok?

master cylinders are fairly easy to change tbh.....jus gotta get the plunger in rite

VIPERONE
20-06-2006, 11:06
HI,
How are the fluid levels?? any fluctuation? After the car has been running for a length of time do the front brakes start to bind slightly? if so this is an indication of a knackered master cylinder.. the brake fluid becomes hot, swells seeps through valves and the expansion causes the piston to move out hence binding the disc slightly.

i certainly check all pipes for corrosion leaks etc.. seems like you've done that, check all pads are still in!..lol fluid is present and in good order.. bled well..

check the servo pipe form the engine is fixed with no leaks.
basically elliminate everything before tackling the pain in the arse servo itself!¬

BigBoreBri
20-06-2006, 18:22
Cheers for input guys.... off round now to give it a good going over!

Im a bit miffed i was thinking about it today and i would expect there to be "pump up" regardless of a faulty master cylinder etc... Anyhoo 1st job is to check for leaks, then check pipe-work to servo etc, then if all that looks ok bleed the lot and see if it makes any difference.

Ive got a vacum kit so it shudn't tako tooooo long! 8)

Hopefully its something of nothing but we will soon see... :roll:

BigBoreBri
20-06-2006, 23:03
How random.... lol

Anyhoo had a good look over it, no leaks etc... gave the brakes a good inspection and its in dire need of new disk/pads up front, beyond that the brakes still felt like shat!

Took vacum pipe of the servo and checked that for leaks... none to be seen, did a pressure test on it and it was holding pressure fine; gave brakes a quick press after that and hey presto - there pumping back up again!!

Dont know if i have in-advertantly sucked some shat out of the pipe or what but hey jobs a gud en!!! Just gonna do them disk/pads and replace the brake fluid and job done... :P

VIPERONE
21-06-2006, 09:42
Bonza! i hate bleeding brakes! :shock: :cry: