PDA

View Full Version : fao all web designers or dreamweaver mx users

Gav
17-06-2006, 23:45
i made a pop up menu on dreamweaver from a image, u roll ur mouse over the image and the menu pops out.

When i press F12 to previe it it works, when i uploaded it to the server and went on the page it dont work??

Anyone know what im doing wrong?

Time delay is 1000ms
ive set it to work on roll over, and hide when i roll out, but nothing happens??

Cheers peeps

summeh
17-06-2006, 23:55
My advice would be stay away from "active" content (javascript) like that as it isn't very "useable" on all platforms.

In plan terms, not everyone has javascript/java turned on.

Although if you want fancy stuff like that, and don't care about being able to reach as near to 100% of your traffic as possible, then... my guess is that you need to upload some javascript script (.js file) to the server along with the html document?

Are you using dreamweaver to publish/sync with a remote server?

Gav
18-06-2006, 00:00
im using 2 programms at the moment...im mainly building css but not sure how to do it for pop ups so i used dreamweaver for that.

its a shame tho cuz it looks really nice!

its identical to how renaultsport have it

check out their pop ups

www.renaultsport.co.uk

Gav
18-06-2006, 00:01
My advice would be stay away from "active" content (javascript) like that as it isn't very "useable" on all platforms.

In plan terms, not everyone has javascript/java turned on.

Although if you want fancy stuff like that, and don't care about being able to reach as near to 100% of your traffic as possible, then... my guess is that you need to upload some javascript script (.js file) to the server along with the html document?

Are you using dreamweaver to publish/sync with a remote server?

but how where would i get the script from fella to upload?

summeh
18-06-2006, 00:10
I'm not sure how dreamweaver is trying to insert the code... normally it slaps in the javascript in a block at the top of the html... but I don't tend to use dreamweaver in wysiwyg mode or for those kind of features.

Can't really comment without having a look at the code... pm me a link if you like.

Gav
18-06-2006, 00:16
ok will upload it again now and send u the link....2 secs

Craig
18-06-2006, 11:19
stick the code up pal and ill have a look also.

JS menu's are ok providing there is an alternative way to get to all the links on there, as mentioned above some people have javascript off or blocked, but generally the majority have it on.

Dreamweaver menu's and the likes tend to be a bit rubbish but there are some good JS menu's about which can be mofified to suit.

Only problem is you need to ensure they work on all browsers. I spend hours sorting a nice transparent sliding drop down menu for angelworks, and it looked perfect in firefox and Opera, but was all over the place in IE.

You can also make them with some CSS trickery, some more info here

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns

Gav
18-06-2006, 15:17
let me know when ur online Craig as the website isnt finished yet so i can only have it uploaded on the server for a certain amount of time or the members will see it, and its TOP SECRET at the moment :wink:

Summeh said i need to load the mm_menu.js up to the server but i cant find it anywhere???

summeh
18-06-2006, 17:19
It'll be in the local directory your working in.

Have you created a site definition, or are you literally working on a single html file?