PDA

View Full Version : What a month i have had!!

Dave_b
17-06-2006, 17:46
First problem the radiator went when i first got the car, and the pin on the throttle cable to hold it on idle decided to depart leaving me with a car that cut out on idle.

Sorted all these and treated her to a new set of shiney rims.... altho there 17's bit big but look the part.

Then it thaught a service would do the valver a bit of good so armed with plugs filter and 10w 40 set to work.

Once the oil was changed i started the car up to find it tapping like hell!!!

Warmed up the car run fine.... cold it tapped it's little heart out.

Think what has happened it that the 10w 40 is too thick when cold to flow properly... so starving the top end when cold.

Going to try some 5w 30 see if that makes a difference.

An eventful time... but its all part of the fun of owning a Valver.

Still trying to find a rain catch for my bonnet and a heat sheeld if anyone has either for sale.

Anyway thats my little update on the Valver lol

Coops
17-06-2006, 20:18
use 5w 40 mate, fully synthetic! i just got some of halfords own tho and its crap, last lot i used was carlube stuff n that was good, no cold start tapping atall! 8)

Amirclio
17-06-2006, 22:43
I use Castrol GTX Magnatec, have it huge drums in the workshop goes in all our Mercs - cant be bad!!

Dave_b
18-06-2006, 00:40
it was magnatec 10w 40 like.

O well we will see when i get the car back

Allan
27-06-2006, 01:34
hmm i have tried loads and most of them made my car sound like a bag of nails :S

Although im using chevron stuff now and even when the car has been left for a few days with out moving it starts from cold with no tapping !

when i first got it, used to tap like made tried load of oils but this chevron stuff is really nice, has made the world of diff 5w 40 i think will have to check on the bottle :)

Laine_16v
27-06-2006, 07:46
use 5w 40 mate, fully synthetic! i just got some of halfords own tho and its crap, last lot i used was carlube stuff n that was good, no cold start tapping atall! 8)

Ive used Halfords 5W-40 quite a few times, whys it crap?

Im about to change my oil today again, ive got some Elf 10W-40 Part Synth competition ST oil :P

I bet its crap 8)

willy3
27-06-2006, 09:11
used some elf 5w30 in daves car and is now running sweet......