PDA

View Full Version : Super Unleaded.

SilverValver
17-06-2006, 09:41
Whenever I go to Esso for petrol there is unleaded, which is what i use and super unleaded. Is it ok to put super unleaded in a valver? My dad reccons it would run better (more power) but I don't want to try it incase it fooks the engine up or something.

big hp
17-06-2006, 09:46
Will be fine, is higher octane fuel so should make it run better and a bit quicker. I always use super unleaded. The tesco 99 ron stuff.

Will do no damage what so ever, only good :D

SilverValver
17-06-2006, 12:01
Will be fine, is higher octane fuel so should make it run better and a bit quicker. I always use super unleaded. The tesco 99 ron stuff.

Will do no damage what so ever, only good :D

Thanks

but the day i put tesco fuel in my car is a long way off yet. For what you save it isnt worth it imo. utter crap. Esso will be fine though. Might time the difference with each.

Justin..
17-06-2006, 13:33
:? tesco fuel isnt made by tesco. its supplied by one of the big companies :roll: its just 'rebranded' lol

Anders
17-06-2006, 14:02
Tesco fuel is supplied by my mates company Greenergy..both unleaded and the diesel which has 5% bio-diesel in it.

top notch stuff...

we run the 99 RON with a bit of a special mix in the rally car when in Grp N...super elf racing fuel for the B13 class though!

MattyH16valver
17-06-2006, 16:10
I filled up with this the other week and did notice a slight difference in performance and seemed to get more miles to the gallon. If it's avaliable from any petrol station I visit, then I normally go for it.

wavy
17-06-2006, 16:40
iv always thought all the fuel came from the same source ?
i always use morrisons because its near :)
is the big name garages better ?

SilverValver
17-06-2006, 17:57
i was under the impression it was second rate stuff. the shit that fell on the floor lol.

seriously i heard it was cheaper as it didn't have all the aditives to get a clean burn out of it and therfore bad for the fuel system and poor mpg.

stew
17-06-2006, 18:52
na, not at all mate.

Tesco's and ASDA etc, can afford to lower their fuel prices slightly, as it makes economic sense...loose a little profit on the fuel, but people will be more enclined to fill up after their shopping that way....or infact may even nip in to get some messages while they are "filling up". Their fuel is anything but second rate, and as Anders said, is usually supplied by Shell, BP, or some other large multinational oil company. Also if sales drop because one company lower their prices, the competing companies will respond. Its all about supply and demand! Theres no point having very few people buying your fuel for the sake of a few pennies is there?!

Interesting fact - Did you know that ALL Shell Optimax is refined at only ONE place in the UK, so must be transported throughout the company by lorry or pipeline. This adds to the cost of the fuel! Im sure this is similar with BP! [There is an interesting article in this months EVO magazine (i think)]

Also before we all start worrying about the grade of fuels we are putting in our cars can we remember a few things....

a) all fuels MUST comply to a Brittish Chemical Standard! They are pretty much all the same (99%) and only 1% can be altered. This is where Shell, Tesco or BP put additives in to help!

b) although shell optimax and bp ultimate and tesco 99 contain cleaners and certain additives to improve combustion, this is a minor thing to worry about...

first think...

when did you clean the air filter?
when did you change the oil and oil filter (and with what oil and make of filter)?
when did u last change the spark plugs (or at least check the condition and gaps)?
when were the HT leads replaced?
when was injector cleaner last used?
when was the fuel filter replaced?

these will have SIGNIFICANTLY more effect on driveability, performance and economy than the type of fuel you are using!

Granted using shell optimax or bp ultimate or tesco 99 will be better for your vehicle and give improved ecomony and performance!

I have found smoother idle from my F7R with Shell Optimax over standard BP stuff, but as none of us are really competitvly timing our cars there is no way you will be able to tell a performance difference!

Remember if you are running standard mapping on the ECU it will be mapped for 95RON fuel! However if the car is mapped to run 97RON or 99RON fuel then thats what it should be run on.

Its the same with most things in life.....you usually get what you pay for! :wink:

SilverValver
17-06-2006, 20:23
i think i'll avoid supermarkets all the same. they are rich enough :wink:

stew
17-06-2006, 23:04
interesting philosophy!

how do you intend surviving the next week? or do you grow all your own vegetables etc? :roll:

SilverValver
18-06-2006, 13:40
well obviously to feed myself there isn't much choice but for my car im sticking to esso.

GTI-Russ
18-06-2006, 16:58
and the fact that the oil companies are some of the richest companies in the world does'nt phase you then??

Russ-16v
18-06-2006, 18:14
im running tesco super in my vr6 and she runs better on it and mpg is good too and its right next to my work lol

nowt wrong with it

mon
18-06-2006, 22:19
it says 95 ron or better in my hand book and says only use lower ron for sort time .. and i have picked up bad fuel from supermarkets and i heard the supermarket fuel comes from rotterdam not uk

stew
18-06-2006, 23:06
rumours mate!

all brittish fuel is to a certain spec, so should be the same quality!

fair play there is differences between 95RON and 97RON (shell optimax and bp ultimate) and 99RON (tesco 99) but you pay for these differences (no matter how slight) and you cant say that tesco sell crap fuel coz they are a supermarket or whatever.

everyone will have their own preferences and also will be car dependant or some mental subconcious.

kj16v
18-06-2006, 23:43
Yeah I read that Evo article too. All the non-Super stuff can come from the same places no matter what station you get it from. So if you think a a particular brand makes your car go faster its in your mind!