PDA

View Full Version : possible Clutch problem

Bonkerz
16-06-2006, 22:47
2 Days ago my clutch cable snapped on my willy 3. i had new original one fitted but could not get any gears --> have had new pedal cus ratchet had gone and everything was fixed.......then about half hour of driving later i could not get any gears at all. i managed to crawl home stuck in second. another half hour later went back out to car to have another go and everything was fine again at first then lose all gears when warmed up.

anyone got any ideas. (im hoping its not the clutch!)

thanks!

jez
16-06-2006, 23:21
u losing reverse 1st and 2nd or reverse 1 2 3 4 5 gears?

if its option 1 the cable is routed incorrectly

Bonkerz
17-06-2006, 10:05
losing all gears i think but certainly r 1 + 2. ill check the route the cable is taking.

Bonkerz
17-06-2006, 11:23
cable seems to be routed ok. wasnt clipped in under battery but cant see that being the problem. what else coulld be causing this!!!

thanks

jez
17-06-2006, 16:18
does it route through the eye at the top of the pedal end as it 100% sounds like its routed incorrectly, if you do a search for clutch or clutch cable u will find alot of posts which share your exact symptoms mate have a read through them they might help u

Bonkerz
17-06-2006, 17:30
Ive been through all the posts before i posted and have checked everything that has been mentioned. im convinced its the cable myself i just cant find the problem. its threaded through the pedal correctly and thro the engine correctly it also feels like it has the correct tension. 1 thing i have noticed is that were it comes through into the footwell it does not have the black outer cable around it and im sure ive read it should be there and go upto the eye of the pedal. confused!!

Lunner
17-06-2006, 19:33
no outer collar loates inot the bulk head where it comes though, white collar iirc, cab;e that comes into car is just cable

Bonkerz
18-06-2006, 18:05
well thats ok then must have miss read. anyway kind of sorted it. i got myself in the footwell (upside down) and removed the green stopper that aloud the pedal to come hire and the ratchet clicked a couple more times. put the stopper back and the car has been fine since.

i still think all its doing is hiding a fubard clutch. but we'll see!

Justin..
18-06-2006, 18:09
i did that to mine, but the problem gradually got worse again and have broken 6 cables :shock: :lol:

. that was last november and my clutch is mega heavy now :shock: not that i can drive it now any way :roll: new clutch should solve it hopefully 8)

Lunner
18-06-2006, 18:35
Yup, clutch getting heaver means clutxch has gone as well as slipping and also certain gears crunching, could come and go when hot, you don't always get all these problems at teh same time, mine si megga heavy but working fine, mate's that i swapped was crunching in gearchanges, but not slipping or heavy

Justin..
18-06-2006, 22:32
mine was awful when hot, it was if the cable had stretched :shock: has to match the revs to get in gear lol

jez
18-06-2006, 23:03
my clutch is being replaced atm the ****ing diff went aswell as the gearbox came out so its a bit of a pricey little pampering session the blue bastard is having :D