PDA

View Full Version : Disaster broke down!!

Adi82
13-06-2006, 03:36
After getting all my suspension fitted and problems sorted ready for le mans this year my williams broke down tonight on the way home.

Was driving on the motorway accelerating upto about 70mph when the revs suddenly dropped. They then went back up again and dropped until i started to slow down. So i pulled over to the hard shoulder and the car idled fine. Rev the engine and at about 3000rpm is spluttered and banged.

Turned off the engine and checked the ignition leads and tired to restart it but no luck engine turned over but didnt fire up.

Waited for the AA to come and the guy managed to get it started. Same again at higher rpm's it spluttered and lost power. Stopped it and started it again and it then ran fine. So i got in drove it about 200m and same thing happened.

Eventually towed me to the renault garage. When i got there i tried restarting it and again it didnt fire up.

Ive fitted new HT leads spark plugs dizzy cap and rotor arm last week. I have noticed my fuel pump making a whistling noise over the last week so could it be this?

Anyone any ideas where i should go from here i desperately need the car for travelling to le mans on wednesday. Its down at reanult now so i can see if they can take it in the morning.

Any help would be great

Thanks adi

Purple
13-06-2006, 05:49
Either fuel pump on it's way out, or the fuel pump circuitry is playing up. Check the fuel pump electricals first.

Lunner
13-06-2006, 19:57
If fuel pump is on its way out you will hear it 95% of the time making a racket, my money is on fuel filter

Adi82
13-06-2006, 23:53
sorted it, turned out being the earth wire that connects on to the gearbox from the crank position sensor. It had snapped off so fastened it back on.

Only to find out that my fan doesnt kick in when hot. So have wired in a switch to my fog lights for now just to get me to le mans and back.

Adi

VIPERONE
14-06-2006, 00:02
the fan issue may be a fuse ;-)

bass_direct
14-06-2006, 00:45
run a seperate earth from the the fan to the battery... sorted out my fan!

bass_direct
14-06-2006, 00:48
btw, i have the same problem as that last night!

the 30amp fuse in the engine bay keeps blowing... looked at gearbox earth, it was snapped... made a new one.. and replaced fuses and was fine for 10 miles or so! and now has the same problem!!

will redo gearbox earth and check no wires are split in the loom causing it to short out etc...

any ideas anyone!

sorry to hijack btw

VIPERONE
14-06-2006, 00:50
yes, chaffed fan switch plug whch is bridging o/s/f plug that goes to fan swicth check it.

another thing does the fan spin freely? is it gettingcaught up.. hence cauing electrical resistance and then fuse popping

halfordsell arange ofearths.. im running 6 earths all aftermarket

and of varying lengths to prevent tension and breakages.

all are fixed to boxand engine area..go to body work and battery negative

bass_direct
14-06-2006, 01:45
cheers