PDA

View Full Version : Idiots guide to fitting CAT

NickFr
20-04-2005, 13:28
Is this a simple case of removing the decat and hey presto the Cat should go on. Could someone take me through whats involved, will it sound quieter, less power, better fuel consumption...What should a garage charge roughly to fit it, will I lose a lot of power, car is chipped and has green induction kit + Omp compitition exhaust.

Sorry for all the questions, but will willingly exchange info if someone needs information on F***K all as I am an expert :wink:

summeh
20-04-2005, 13:37
Is this a simple case of removing the decat and hey presto the Cat should go on. Could someone take me through whats involved, will it sound quieter, less power, better fuel consumption...What should a garage charge roughly to fit it, will I lose a lot of power, car is chipped and has green induction kit + Omp compitition exhaust.

Sorry for all the questions, but will willingly exchange info if someone needs information on F***K all as I am an expert :wink:

quieter, yes much
less power, yes a tiny amount
better fuel consumption, yes i think so

no idea what a garage would charge, prolly about 10-20quid?

Its literally a 10 minute job assuming nothing is seized, even then just chop the bolts and put new ones on.

mate it is literally 4 bolts, how easy is it to undo 4 nuts? :) 2 each end of the pipe, unscrew them, pull the bolts out, pipe slides out, cat goes in its place. you might be missing a gasket for the cat-downpipe end though as this is slightly larger than the cat-mid section end, so your de-cat gasket on the de-cat->downpipe end prolly wont fit. not a problem though im sure a garage will have a generic fitting gasket, if not dont worry to much it'll only blow a little.

Martin
20-04-2005, 16:49
Why are you putting the cat back on?

NickFr
20-04-2005, 17:08
Why are you putting the cat back on?

Because it failed its French Control technique ie MOT, also I have to register the Car in the region that I live, which means I will have a new reg number, the MOT last for two years here so might change back if it runs like shit and replace CAT if I sell or in time for next MOT.

Slithers
20-04-2005, 23:57
its a twat to do the top nut up on the downpipe on the valver :evil:

Lunner
26-04-2005, 13:18
Bah, no it isn't, not if you have fancy bandy ratchet ring spanners :-D

Main thing i noticed when i stick the cat back on was the noise and it does feel more restricted towards the end of the rev rangem specifically over 4k revs, but then mine is an 8v, and has less power there than the 16v's anyway