PDA

View Full Version : Clutch change

Slithers
11-06-2006, 18:19
I'm pondering about doing this myself now. Can the change be done w/out dropping the subframe? or does the subframe need to be removed in order to get decent access for the Alignment tool?

Also if this can be done w/out the subframe being removed can anybody cook me up a little guide on how to do it?, also would it bpossible to do the change on ramps instead of axle stands if the subframe can be left on?

Cheers

Matt

POWARTEK
11-06-2006, 18:37
just taken mine out today, you cant do it on a ramp as u need the driveshafts out, the suspension needs to be loose enough to allow movement so needs to be on stands. We havent touched the subframe, took it out the top, found it much more easier.

Lunner
11-06-2006, 18:58
After speaking to someone who did it out the top, and out teh bottom they recon the bottom is easier, its only 6 bolts to remove the subframe, plaus bogbone, downpipe and column pinch bolt

donsrno1
11-06-2006, 19:49
It can be done without dropping the subframe. To give more room you can remove the drivers side engine mount, and with the engine on a trolley jack, push it across as far to that side as possible. Then when you remove the box there should be enough room to change the clutch. If you struggle for room just angle the gearbox so that you can get to the clutch bolts from the top and then just turn the engine over by hand and you can get to all the bolts.

Lunner
11-06-2006, 19:59
So teh engine is sat int eh bay with no mounts attached, just restng on teh trolly jack, better make sure it dont' slip off it when you are ulling the box off/pushing it on lol

donsrno1
11-06-2006, 20:04
I had no problems with mine. Theres no way it would slip off putting the gearbox back on as it would already be resting agains the o/s of the engine bay. If you were bothered you could just remove the box before moving it across in the engine bay.

POWARTEK
12-06-2006, 10:55
jus a edit to my original post..I took engine out at the same time to get other bits sorted in 1 go. so maybe just teh box is easier from the bottom.

Lunner
12-06-2006, 19:46
I had no problems with mine. Theres no way it would slip off putting the gearbox back on as it would already be resting agains the o/s of the engine bay. If you were bothered you could just remove the box before moving it across in the engine bay.

if you ahve done it beofre you will know that you need ot 'jiggle' it about to get it jack on and it is all to easy for it to move and slide off the jack, and you sahoudl never leave the box resting on the input shaft.

Plus out the top you have to drain the coolant :P

End of the day everyone has their prefered ways, some out the bottom, soem out the top, some engine out, its which ever works best for you

donsrno1
12-06-2006, 23:11

if you ahve done it beofre you will know that you need ot 'jiggle' it about to get it jack on and it is all to easy for it to move and slide off the jack, and you sahoudl never leave the box resting on the input shaft.

Plus out the top you have to drain the coolant :P

End of the day everyone has their prefered ways, some out the bottom, soem out the top, some engine out, its which ever works best for you

As you say everyone has their own ways. I just feel that if you are just changing the clutch it's easy enough to do it without moving the subframe. As for the jack, I know what you mean as I was worried about that before I started but it didn't slip at all.

Also, when I said you could remove the box, then move the engine across, I meant remove the box far enough so that the input shaft was clear of the engine and clutch. The truth is that the best way to do it would be to have a hoist to support the engine, but if that's not availiable you can make do with a trolley jack.

2 live
13-06-2006, 08:09
aye.as said above....ppl will find the way that suits them best

personally......id take it out the bottom, no need to drop the subframe off fully, just on the n/s, the o/s can be left bolted up, but loose. pinch bolt on column undone, and a jack under the engine to support it while u whip the box off

Lunner
13-06-2006, 19:56
Agreed 2 live, but i found the bog bone bracket snagged on the PAS rack, and that had to be removed