PDA

View Full Version : Rusty arch dillema!

Enid
20-04-2005, 01:20
My drivers side rear arch is rusty and needs attention before FCS. I took the car to an insurance approved body shop in Bedford that I have used before when some kind French woman drove into my old Mondeo and they did a superb job. They said the best thing was to replace the whole rear quarter with a new on.

Also i asked them to quote me to sort some dents on the drivers door which have been reaired before but very badly in my opinion. So basically they would be spraying the whole drivers side of the car. The problem is they want £1200 excluding VAT to do the work!!! Obviously this is far more than i'm willing to pay.

Is it completely nessecary to replace the whole rear quarter? Can anyone recommend a good Bodyshop in the Bedfordshire/Bucks/Herts/Cambs area??

MatBrown
20-04-2005, 01:35
You do not need to use a complete rear 1/4, you can buy a pattern copy rear arch for a standard clio and a decent bodyshop will be able to cut the rust out of your rear arch and use the relevent metal from the new panel.
might require a little shaping.
Should be looking at £300 tops.

Mat.

Caramelx
20-04-2005, 08:06
Would you use a place in Essex, Willing to help you with Travel if he can fit you in as the Bodyshop that did mine is Very good, Can give you number if you want to speak to him.

Clare

KingStromba
20-04-2005, 09:42
It can be worse replacing the whole arch and more problematic because of the way it is sealed onto the car.

Id do what Matt said.

Swervin_Mervin
20-04-2005, 10:39
Be careful though. The arches can look different if standard arches are cut in.

Smokey McPot
20-04-2005, 19:49
Told ya.

richy
20-04-2005, 20:04
the they have a peice cut out and new one welded in, if its a competent bodyshop u will never be able to tell, i worked in a bodyshop and have seen it done many a time!

Tom_16v
20-04-2005, 21:06
A decent bodyshop will just chop the rust out, weld a plate in, and charge you a lot less that 1400notes lol!