PDA

View Full Version : SNAP goes the.....

Coops
10-06-2006, 10:52
.....handbrake!

how hard to replace? never done one on rear disc car before! :P and is it most likely to of snapped or just popped out of something?! i checked underneath n nothing dropped down, no cables or out!

cheers

Coops

jwarren2k2
10-06-2006, 10:58
ur best bet would be to replace both tbh, i replaced one and its crap!!

its not too hard... take heatshield off (3 or 4 screws), take cables off (think they unhook or screw off, cant really remember) take them out of the caliper, this was a b*****d for me, was reall siezed into it, just use common sense to get it out, i cut it, then used pliers to kind of pull it out... then put new cable in...

depending on how hard it is to get the old one out, it should take about an hour.

i paid about £8 for one cable, but as i said, best bet is to get both, im gona get another one soon, but dont have my stuff at uni to do it!! :(

good luck mate! :D

Coops
10-06-2006, 11:09
yeah i were gonna do both as a matter of course mate neway if it has gone proper! i'll whip the car up tomos afternoon, see if its fooked n then crack on with it! 8)

cheers for the tips!

Coops

Coops
11-06-2006, 20:53
right old handbrake cables off, left and right! gonna pick up the new uns from GSF tomos

when i took em off however ti was really tough to get em out of the rear trailing arms, it was like they were being pinched by the axle against the beam, is there a way of stopping this cuz am guessin it puts extra strain on the cables!

oh and is it left hand side of the carrier to left rear disc and right to right or do i need to cross the cables over when i refit em?!

cheers

Coops

jwarren2k2
11-06-2006, 21:11
im no expert, but if i were u, i'd cross them over because as you say, they're tight in the rear beam, so if u cross them over it'll be straighter as the cable will be coming from a further distance?!

does that make any sense whatsoever?!?! lol!!

James

Allan
12-06-2006, 10:14
When i did mine they were crossed over, make sure you also get it clipped in at the end, that was the hard part doing mine

Coops
12-06-2006, 17:56
poxy blummin bloody GSF and renault!!

went to GSF on me lunch, hanbrake cable my good man, 2 of! sorry mate, discontinued! shite, right off to renualt i spose then

at renault, we may of just missed the picking order for the day mate, shud have em to you by thursday,

for 36 quid you'd think it wud be next day! :evil:

Allan
12-06-2006, 21:08
they used to say that to me and i would moan and say i need them in the morning, sure enough next day phone call :) and this was ordering at like 5 pm

but linningtons were quite good like that

jwarren2k2
12-06-2006, 21:10
£36!!! i paid £8 for one... so 2 would be £16!!! Although mine wasn't genuine renault!! mine was just from a motor factors.

VIPERONE
12-06-2006, 21:11
www.brakesinternational.co.uk or.com

think they sell hand brake cables

right the cables are £5 each from there

Coops
12-06-2006, 21:13
i dont know sheffield yet, so no idea where else to go! :oops:

oh well live n learn! 8)