PDA

View Full Version : So you can't afford 4 pots or the like, what do you go for?

Daz.
09-06-2006, 22:56
Big brake kits are expensive - I'll gladly save up and get something stupid good in the future but need brakes desperately...

I WILL be doing track days on whatever I get and some very fast road use lol...

What to do?

edde
09-06-2006, 23:06
Ds2500's some good fluid and some new or least rebuilt calipers and braided lines are a very good setup.
I feel the issue with Williams stock brakes is there 10 years old there the same brakes as oderm Mk2 2 Clios but the calipers are worn seal worn etc.

Also harder pads which people upgrade to put more heat on the calipers damaging seal efficiency over time.

Martin
09-06-2006, 23:10
braided lines, fluid change....even stnd pads were fine for me with this setup

Daz.
09-06-2006, 23:21
Ds2500's some good fluid and some new or least rebuilt calipers and braided lines are a very good setup.
I feel the issue with Williams stock brakes is there 10 years old there the same brakes as oderm Mk2 2 Clios but the calipers are worn seal worn etc.

Also harder pads which people upgrade to put more heat on the calipers damaging seal efficiency over time.

I agree a lot with what your saying - the brakes on my van are awesome, even with a full load of shit in the back but thats probably because its only done 6000 miles....

How much are new calipers and lines? Its like you say renew all the original stuff then see if anything "extreme" is needed

stew
09-06-2006, 23:29
id imagine that renewing the original calipers will be expensive. first thing id do is get some new pads on there, braided lines possibly, and some new brake fluid. this shouldnt be very much at all, and as martin says this is good enough for most people!

if you are going down the new caliper route, then you mite as well upgrade to 4 pots for the fronts. the rear brakes do sod all most of the time, so no point worrying about them too much.

MAXIBOY
09-06-2006, 23:30
calipers can be rebuilt with new seals and paint. about 12 quid for seal kit. braided hoses 35 quid. pads and discs. also depending how clever you are you can get 4 pots of certain scrap cars and modify them to fit.

edde
10-06-2006, 00:04
if you don't want to rebuild them try Matt Balck he is likly to have some broken 1.2 etc in stock and buy those calipers no idea on price but shouldn't be much or go and test drive a 1.2 etc Clio take the car home and swop with your old calipers etc.

stew
10-06-2006, 00:23
1.2 calipers on a williams?

does that work?
is it safe?
will it even stop?

:roll:

rt_blackpool
10-06-2006, 08:03
1.2 calipers on a williams?

does that work?
possibly
is it safe?
possibly not
will it even stop?
not until it hits something

:roll:

:P

Daz.
10-06-2006, 10:23
lol - i didn't realise new clios had the same calipers? go find myself a nice 4000 mile crash victim :D

ben_j
10-06-2006, 19:53
braided lines makes a world of difference!

Zollo
12-06-2006, 09:10
I found the standard brakes were just as powerful as my Wilwoods. And that's with standard pads as well. The only reason I went for the 4-pots was because they were cheaper than new standard stuff and I'd get fade-free braking from them 8)

Daz.
12-06-2006, 09:41
Well if i can't afford them then seems the way to go - renew everything thats original...

2 live
12-06-2006, 09:41
must admit..even tho iv never had 4 pots on the clio, the only reason id go for 4 pots is for the fadelessness of em lol......altho having said that....i didnt suffer any fade last time out at brunters, which i think had my pads been std i would have.

will see how they react to oulton, could only get about 5 or 6 laps at a time last time befor i had no brakes.

Daz.
12-06-2006, 10:59
The brakes on the valver i had were fantastic, had new std discs and pads all round and I couldn't fault them apart from the fade, it scares the shit out of you when it happens....

Suppose because you put confidence in them then they randomly decide to go!

I'll do an update on what I go for and i'll give opinions!!

midge
12-06-2006, 11:51
i was in the same position, my brakes are less than good at the moment i contemplated getting new calipers/pads/disc's but it was cheaper to get some 4pots, my calipers/lines etc have all dones 110k so it just seemed the better idea to get the better stuff brand new.

pat_986
12-06-2006, 12:51
I'm in the same possition mate.

I had a brake overhaul a few months back, braided lines, fluid change new bulkhead heat-sheild(didn't have one before) standard pads and some crappy drilled and grooved disks..............I wish I never got them as I think the fronts are warpped, http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14346 (see my thread here)

I'm looking at getting some brembo MAX disks with some good pads, and also some new standard calipers................but it seems you guys are saying 4-pots are the cheaper option. GSF seem to sell replacement calipers for £40ea.......am I reading this right??
R65608 BRAKE CALIPER-FRONT LH CLIO 1.8 16V >96 36.00 Add
R65610 BRAKE CALIPER-FRONT RH CLIO 1.8 16V >96 36.00 Add

Daz.
12-06-2006, 13:02
looks right to me - thought calipers new were more than that actually.

McPikie
12-06-2006, 13:31
so hang on, are we actually saying that the clalipers off Mk2's fit on and work fine??

Jonny1
12-06-2006, 13:35
GSF units don't include pad carriers tho ....as i just found out.

Could be a pain for the front if your sliders are seized.

Daz.
12-06-2006, 13:48
so hang on, are we actually saying that the clalipers off Mk2's fit on and work fine?? :-k

Swervin_Mervin
12-06-2006, 13:51
Also you can get the rears off all sorts of cars. I'd get down a scrappers and get them off a 306/Xsara etc.

Bung some DS2500s in, bleed and off you go.

Daz.
12-06-2006, 13:53
what any 306 or xsara?

Swervin_Mervin
12-06-2006, 13:58
Don't know mate. Probably. Any with discs on the back are probably going to have the same calipers tbh, since the cars are heavier so have more to stop than the clios. Would be dead easy to tell anyway. Plus Xsaras were made up until quite recently so new ish ones might be findable.

Daz.
12-06-2006, 14:06
Don't know mate. Probably. Any with discs on the back are probably going to have the same calipers tbh, since the cars are heavier so have more to stop than the clios. Would be dead easy to tell anyway. Plus Xsaras were made up until quite recently so new ish ones might be findable.

Thats what I was thinking - they're might be some very low milers...

Swervin_Mervin
12-06-2006, 14:09
:wink:

Daz.
12-06-2006, 15:04
must admit..even tho iv never had 4 pots on the clio, the only reason id go for 4 pots is for the fadelessness of em lol......altho having said that....i didnt suffer any fade last time out at brunters, which i think had my pads been std i would have.

will see how they react to oulton, could only get about 5 or 6 laps at a time last time befor i had no brakes.

That'd be a good test matey - think for now i'm going to just renew the backs with standard stuff and do my own mini reviews on upgrades like new lines, new pads etc...

Daz.
12-06-2006, 17:22
Right bugger it i've decided to revamp the originals

I'm thinking new calipers all round, new uprated pads (std on the back, new discs all round (std on the back), new hoses, fresh brake fluid...

Because of money constraints this month and the fact (although they're shitters) the fronts have brand new discs and pads i'm going to get the rear gear first..

Is it worthwhile to get the braided lines all round now while I renew the rear?

Oh fook it I might aswell get the fronts too :roll:

ARGHHH!!

Right Recommended discs, pads and lines NOW PEOPLE NOW!!

Are calipers just calipers just calipers?

stew
12-06-2006, 19:15
std discs, std calipers, get braided lines all round, and get some DS2500 pads!

no point going fancy with drilled (which crack) or grooved (which munch pads) discs.

check the operation of your load sensitive brake bias regulator on the rear as well.

also check for any leaking pipes!

8)