PDA

View Full Version : if i was to try hillclimbing

wavy
09-06-2006, 21:12
if i was to try hillclimbing what could/should i do
id like to keep all original parts but would i need to put coilovers on ?
can i adjust the engine to suit ? i mean get the 5k kick sooner or would the car need to stay untuned to stay in the class ?
id need a decent helmet go on a few days driving course to obtain a licence(i dont know that for sure yet) a fire suit and a timing strut
all that seems doable
it would still stay as my daily drive

btw . the wide track on a willy is it wider than the rear ?

stevie_b
09-06-2006, 21:37
You don't need to do a test to get the (normal) MSA licence you need for hillclimbing. It's the National B (non-race) you need for most sprints and hillclimbs, and you can get that by downloading the form from the MSA website (www.msauk.org) and sending off your money (£33).

As for modding the engine you will need to check the rules as it seems to vary around the country. Here in the South East they used to have a class for 'standard production'. You weren't really allowed to change a thing, certainly not the engine or track, etc. However, that seemed hard to police so they have binned that now and as long as you haven't stripped anything apart from the carpets (you even need to keep the back seats in, which are nice and easy to remove in the Clio) you should fit in the 'road going production' class. Glass must remain the same in 'road going' (i.e. no polys) and original type of cylinder block, head, gearbox casing and diff casing (but not necessarily the internals).

If you don't have that lot of criteria met then you can still play - you just enter the 'Modified Production' class instead, where you can strip the thing completely, fit polys, etc. but you are playing with some other serious kit then! Both class sets generally have a capacity range too, which again I have seen being a bit different around the country, but in the SE there is a class that spans 1400-2000cc which the Clio fits into nicely and should be competitive enough. In standard form it was certainly capable of winning lots of events and with a few choice mods should still cut it in the 'road going' class that exists today.

When you apply for your licence you'll get a copy of the 'blue book', the MSA book of rules. In the back there is a list of tyres allowed called 'list 1A' (if you want to be in road going class). I think these are all road legal so it should be quite easy to use the car as a daily drive, drive to an event, whack your numbers and strut on and off you go! I drove my cars (as seen in my 'garage profile') to and from events, and the shops inbetween.

It's great fun and everyone is really friendly - you'll have a ball and improve your driving skills hugely.

wavy
09-06-2006, 22:00
thanks stevie_b
i will deffo look more in to this as it seems very easy to get in to if its in the road class

smoke ya soon :wink:
dave[/quote]

cliorod
09-06-2006, 22:16
Stevie B,many thanks for that,your command and interpretation of the MSA rules is excellent :wink: :wink:
Hooligan,if your interested,I am the Deputy Clerk of Course at the National "B" Hillclimb at Barbon Manor on Saturday 17th June,easy to find from Skipton,turn right at Devils Bridge ~~ where all the bikers congregate at Kirby Lonsdale and follow the signs :lol: :lol: You will see first hand how everything goes :twisted: :twisted: As Stevie B said,regulations very from area to area.On our event at Scammonden,we have classes for just about everything.Our scrutineer,is a very helpful guy,and if you do not fall in one class he will advise.I would think,it highly unlikely,that a fellow competitor,would be able to spot a valver with a Williams front end !!!!! :shock: :shock: If your interested please get in touch,once you got a licence,the other expense is the o/alls,but there is a company near me at Nelson,that does good deals.Again as Stevie B suggests,get your licence first,and then look at Rules ~~ or get in touch,I have about 10 MSA yearbooks,will post you one FOC,if your interested.
Rod.

MAXIBOY
09-06-2006, 22:23
in the road going class [ full trim same block head etc ] does that mean i can run with a turbo as long as the engine is the same

wavy
09-06-2006, 22:31
again thanks guys ill try n get along to the climb next week
if u have your car ill notice u and say hi :)

stevie_b
09-06-2006, 22:33
in the road going class [ full trim same block head etc ] does that mean i can run with a turbo as long as the engine is the same

Mmmm. Not entirely sure on that one - you'd think bolting a turbo on that wasn't originally there is as big a deal as swapping a head/block/gearbox casing. I know for sure that a turbo adds a 50% capacity multiple (and diesel a 40% reduction if anyone's interested) so you definitely won't fit in the 1400-2000 cc class with the rest of the N/A Clios.

MAXIBOY
09-06-2006, 22:35
cheers steve

edde
09-06-2006, 23:10

Mmmm. Not entirely sure on that one - you'd think bolting a turbo on that wasn't originally there is as big a deal as swapping a head/block/gearbox casing. I know for sure that a turbo adds a 50% capacity multiple (and diesel a 40% reduction if anyone's interested) so you definitely won't fit in the 1400-2000 cc class with the rest of the N/A Clios.
What about a turbo diesel? My cars 1.5 liter so do i get a 50% uplift as its turbo and 40% down grade as its diesel ie 1.35 total?

stevie_b
09-06-2006, 23:14
What about a turbo diesel? My cars 1.5 liter so do i get a 50% uplift as its turbo and 40% down grade as its diesel ie 1.35 total?

Yep, exactly. So you'll fit nicely towards the top of the 'up to 1400cc' class that usually exists and the car should be pretty competitive!

edde
10-06-2006, 00:09

Yep, exactly. So you'll fit nicely towards the top of the 'up to 1400cc' class that usually exists and the car should be pretty competitive!
Not so sure with just 65hp but could be fun.
Itsonly 2 hours to Skipton from my house will have to pop up some time I'm on holds though on the 17th though.