PDA

View Full Version : Cams? - Engine rebuild!

stew
08-06-2006, 21:45
Ok as most of you guys will know, ive been going on about getting my f7r rebuilt for some time now, with cams, headwork, mapping and possibly bottom end balancing; but havent done sod all about it yet.

Ive been doing a LOT of reading up recently about this, while trying to save - but keep spending my money on goodies such as polycarbs and a cage!

The funds will be in place to get the engine totally sorted in october for definate, and im most likely taking it to hillpower for the work to be done, unless anyone wants to give me a good quote!? :wink:

Only thing im wondering....and this question is specifically directed at BenR, stan, 2live etc etc, but is there any point rebuilding a perfectly healthy and fast bottom end? Its on 95k currently, but burns very little oil, holds fantastic oil pressure at any temperature, doesnt run hot at all, even when giving it some good top of the rev range in 5th action. So if it aint broke dont fix it right? Did a 14.1sec 1/4mile at crail on a day with poor grip, but very low ambient air temps!

I do expect to be rebuilding the bottom end at some point (in the next few years when this will be a DEDICATED track car) but is ther any need to spend extra money on rebuilding the bottom end if its fine? I can put this towards some 4 pots and maybe even better coilovers?

The head is needing rebuilt, as its sounding quite tappety these days, even when hot! Most likely worn / sticking tappets! Im getting headwork done on it at the same time (matched manifolds, ported etc) to compliment the cams.

The reason im thinking of holding off with the bottom end build is that if i leave it a couple years i will have more money to spend on it, and get forged and balanced internals, coupled with some lairy cams for the head and throttle boddies!

Suggestions......

Thanks 8)

stan
08-06-2006, 21:53
it really depends on the following:

how much power you want NOW, and how much you have to spend NOW.

If you know its a good 'un, the perhaps, for now, have the head rebuilt, some tidy headwork, and a decent cam set-up. This with a good remap will give a decent performance gain.

THEN, like u say, when u have the cash in 'x' ammount of time, do a full build inc whatever goodies you want.

This way you have nice performance for the time being and u save on labour rates as u arent adding components bit by bit....you will be doing it in one shot.

clowo16v
08-06-2006, 21:59
I'd just get the head rebuilt with the cams etc, then keep on the lookout for another F7R to build into a killer engine. When the time comes you can then just swap the engines over and sell yours on. Keeps the car off the road for a lot shorter time.

Matt

stew
08-06-2006, 22:08
well thats what i was thinking....just get the engine a bit quicker the now, and build up a killer engine over the next few years, then i can swap it into the clio.

tbh...my valver shell will be fully stripped, seam/stich welded, multipoint cage, and repainted including the engine bay at some point! (if it survives the next few years! :wink: ) as you can see i have big plans! :twisted:

just dunno whether to do the bottom end now, or leave it till later? :? :roll:

stan
08-06-2006, 23:00
depends how far into the future u want to build a flat out engine.
if u leave it, then it fails in say 9 months, isnt that just the ideal reason to build a forged btm end? :D

stew
08-06-2006, 23:35
yep! hopefully get more than 9months out of it tho mate!

8)

will be in touch possibly re: the work i would like done. my main problem as you know if mapping and timing in the cams.

hell i can even fit the head myself...just dunno about timing in the pulleys, and then need to get it mapped.

stan
08-06-2006, 23:37
best bet is get the timing set on the r/r so u can select a preferred power/torque comprimise.

stew
08-06-2006, 23:54
thats what i was thinking, but im not sure of any decent renault mapping places up this side of the border.

think it will either be hillpower job...or go to you stan for the work, then chip wizards!

think ive decided to fook the bottom end off until later on when i can go forged on its ass!

:twisted:

muhahhahahaha!