PDA

View Full Version : Sealing thermostat

donsrno1
08-06-2006, 10:39
After removing teh thermostat and all the hoses around it when removing the gearbox the bugger is now leaking having connected it all back up. It looks as though it coming from the end of one of the hoses connecting to the thermostat but I think it's actually running from somewhere else to there as I have removed and re-fitted the hose several times now.

Anyway, what sort of sealant can I put around the edge of the thermostat to stop it leaking? There seemed to be some sort of sealant around it when removed but I wasn't sure if it was totally necessary.

Thanks.

Coops
08-06-2006, 12:35
the stat housing you on about? not the stat itself?

i used halomide blue gasket sealant, but any type will do! just pop the stat housing off and run a line of the stuffa round the edge before you nip it back up with the bolts onto the side of the head! 8)

donsrno1
08-06-2006, 14:57
yeah it was the housing I meant. I'll try some gasket sealant then, thanks.

Mattie
08-06-2006, 20:45
i made this mistake wen doin mine :roll:

think i used some silicone selant from halfords

donsrno1
12-06-2006, 23:41
I sealed this today, but it still didn't help. After closer inspection the water is leaking from the bit circled in red in this photo:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/donsrno1/Engine7.jpg

(not my engine btw, took the pic from another thread)

Basically it seems as though there is a pin hole or something in the metal part of the housing where the coolant hose connects as a constant drip seeps out the top of the hose. I'll take the housing off completely when I get a chance and have a close look to see exactly where it's leaking, but I'm starting to think I might need a new stat housing.

VIPERONE
13-06-2006, 00:15
you can get a gasket or do what i did.. i used gasket black.. naturally tighten the hose clips up

donsrno1
13-06-2006, 00:24
^^^^

As I say mate, there's nothing leaking from the joint of the housing to the cylinder head, it's just the bit circled in red in the picture. It's just a pain in the arse as it wasn't leaking before as far as I know, but now I can't seem to stop it.

BRUN
13-06-2006, 17:33
if its the metal part go to your local Motor World and buy some Leak Fix paste, that will sort it no problem

i used red instant gasket on my housing and it doesnt leak

VIPERONE
13-06-2006, 17:36
may well be a slit /rip in the metal its nothing to worry about as its easily sortedi'd use heat shrink tubing on it. lol

then im a cowboy at the best of times

summeh
13-06-2006, 20:25
lol @ gunner

just get a new stat housing. prolly quite easy to find at a scrappy cant imagine it being a popular item, or ask matbrown etc the likes off here.

VIPERONE
13-06-2006, 20:46
http://hoover.archives.gov/exhibits/HollywoodCowboys/leading%20men/EASTWOOD.jpg

Lunner
13-06-2006, 20:58
may well be a slit /rip in the metal its nothing to worry about as its easily sortedi'd use heat shrink tubing on it. lol

then im a cowboy at the best of times

Is that why your car keeps breaking :lol:

VIPERONE
13-06-2006, 21:18
the parts i use cant handle the tolerance levels i require...

its a pity your car couldnt handle your level of driving lol

summeh
13-06-2006, 22:59
oooo, get her :)