PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy 449 paint?

stevie_b
07-06-2006, 16:38
I have noticed that some of my driver's door has gone rusty (probably a side effect of sliding through a gravel trap a couple of years ago, which did sound like it was giving the door a bit of a shot blasting!). I've scraped the scabby bits and got all the rust off and that leaves me with an area about the size of a hand that needs painting - too much area to use a touch up stick on.

So, where can I get 449 paint - ideally in a spray tin although I do have a compressor and paint gun I've never used so could just use 'neat' paint (but need some instructions on whether I need to add 'thinners' in order to spray it on?). I know you can get Halfords to make up any colour but I did that to paint a broken splitter on my Scooby and wasn't very happy it was a good match. I sort of get away with it on a separate piece (the splitter) but since I am painting a small section of the door only I would like the colour to really match well.

Do Renault sell tins of paint/spray cans in 449 blue?

Any advice on using a compressor to spray paint gratefully received, as I've never tried it before (but if it turns out okay I might paint my fibreglass bonnet to match as well!)

Thanks

Daz.
07-06-2006, 16:39
Renault do sell it I believe, you could also get it from halfrauds

stevie_b
07-06-2006, 16:57
Cheers mate.

Does anyone know if the Halfrauds secret mix of ingredients ends up giving a colour that matches the original reasonably well though - I wasn't impressed at their attempt at JDM Subaru silver, which they said was a paint code they had the 'recipe' for? Maybe silvers are tougher to get a good match on though?

Swervin_Mervin
07-06-2006, 17:00
Go to an independent. I got some from Halfrauds and it was miles out. A proper independant (I used Colourtone in Manc) will give you several cards with the varying shades off 449 so you can get the best match. I was given 9 cards and most were noticably different.

Renault only sell touch up pens/cans in one shade.

Daz.
07-06-2006, 17:04
Go to an independent. I got some from Halfrauds and it was miles out. A proper independant (I used Colourtone in Manc) will give you several cards with the varying shades off 449 so you can get the best match. I was given 9 cards and most were noticably different.

Renault only sell touch up pens/cans in one shade.

What just any old independant paint mixing shop?

Swervin_Mervin
07-06-2006, 17:08
Umm, kind of. I don't know what you'd class colourtone as tbh. They sell mostly bodywork prep equipment and products.

Daz.
07-06-2006, 17:11
Umm, kind of. I don't know what you'd class colourtone as tbh. They sell mostly bodywork prep equipment and products.

I might just go there for it - only ten mins from our lasses..

Have you an address for them?

Swervin_Mervin
07-06-2006, 17:13
Colourtone Ltd
61b, Shaw Heath Trading Estate, Stockport, Cheshire SK3 8BP
Tel: 0161 477 6970

or (the one I used)

Colourtone Ltd
250, Mauldeth Rd West, Withington, Manchester, Lancashire M20 1BE
Tel: 0161 448 0273

They work trade hours though. I went late arvo on a weekday. Not sure if they do saturdays.

Daz.
07-06-2006, 18:45
Cheers for that old chap :D

BRUN
07-06-2006, 19:13
remember the car is ~10 years old so you might not get a 100% perfect match

clowo16v
07-06-2006, 19:16
If you're gonna use the compressor and spraygun you might aswell paint the whole door.

I get cans of Monaco Blue from the car spares shop a couple of miles away always been a good match to mine.

Matt

Allan
07-06-2006, 23:16
i got 449 from halfruads and it is way out !

so sugest deffo getting it from a proper paint place
http://www.auto-paint.co.uk/