PDA

View Full Version : Noise!

Bonkerz
07-06-2006, 13:31
Hi Guys

Couple of days ago i started hearing a loud noise from the front of my williams 3. onto the phone to my local garage i was and they said it could be 1 of 2 things either a bearing (which im not so sure about) or the diff is knackered.

What are my options if the diff is broke?

can it be fixed or is it new box?

How much is it going to cost?

Any ideas.

Thanks!

Gav
07-06-2006, 13:36
what does the noise sound like?

If it is a knockin noise that gets faster as u do, its wheel bearing/cv joint

if its a whining noise, could be ur diff but could be alot of other not so serious things

Clio_GTT
07-06-2006, 13:45
Does the noise change when you turn either left or right ?

is it a reccuring noise or a whine ?

donsrno1
07-06-2006, 15:33
Jack up the car and hold the wheel (road wheel) at 12 and 6. Then try and rock the wheel if you know what I mean, if there is any play then it'll be the wheel bearing. Best bet would be to get a garage to check for you if your not sure about it yourself. They will probably check for free and it will only take them 2 minutes.

Bonkerz
07-06-2006, 22:40
its a constant noise. like a drone. it gets louder when i turn left and right and also as i pull away i hear a metal tinking. it seems to get less the more i drive too. its booked into a garage on thursday morning. Man i hope its nothing serious!!

cheers

Gav
08-06-2006, 01:09
sounds like wheel bearing fella. £20 fix 8)

1fast6
08-06-2006, 13:50
£20?

Bearing itself is a little over that at £23.

If you don't have a spare hub, you will need to remove the one on the car yourself which can be a pain in the ass if the rod ends don't want to play ball. Then you need to take the hub to a garage to get the bearing pressed in (costing £5-10 depending where you go). Then go back and refit it with a new hub nut. You need to have the right tools to do the job also as the hub nut needs to be 250nm.

If you dont have a decent set of tools, time, a spare car or a close garage/mate you wont get it done for under 60.

diggs04
08-06-2006, 13:51

:shock: my wheel bearing was £80 to fix at garage. sounds like im always being ripped off. or did yiu mean £20 the part?

1fast6
08-06-2006, 13:53

:shock: my wheel bearing was £80 to fix at garage. sounds like im always being ripped off. or did yiu mean £20 the part?

Including parts and labour thats not a bad price.

Bonkerz
09-06-2006, 20:29
Fixed. Wheel bearing. It had completly disintegrated apparently. I am so releaved. it cost me 75 sqids and that was for bearing change, interior door handle adjusted (couple of times been trapped in car!!) and crack off my track rod end nuts (proper tight)..

thanks for the reply guys.

stevie_b
09-06-2006, 20:50
I took the hub off mine but couldn't get the old bearing out. Had the new part so dropped it off at a garage (not my usual and not a main dealer) and when I went to pick it up they wanted £60 just for pressing a bearing in and out. Won't be going near them again!