PDA

View Full Version : Oil at Spark plugs?

philthy
07-06-2006, 10:08
Just pulled out the ignition leads and found oil at the bottom of 3 out of the 4 top plug holders,

the plastic parts t the end had a few drips of oil on it, wonder if this might be a problem!? one was bone dry

I ahvent checked how tight the plugs are yet, trying to fix my exhaust which is blowing ridiculously(im getting about 15mpg)

rt_blackpool
07-06-2006, 10:13
whip the plugs out and check them all.

i had this when i 1st got my car, the bottom of my plugs were soaked in oil. i replaced the rocker gasket which solved 95% of it on the plugs. i still get a little bit but no where near as much as before. :)

philthy
07-06-2006, 10:21
okay cheers mate, il whip them out when i get home and ave a look

northy
07-06-2006, 10:29
Might have just been spilt from when the engine was last filled with oil mate.

Head gasket problems -

Is your coolant clear and free from oil ?
Does it burn oil ?
Is there any white cream under your oil filler cap ?

philthy
07-06-2006, 10:34
Might have just been spilt from when the engine was last filled with oil mate.
Is your coolant clear and free from oil ?
Does it burn oil ?
Is there any white cream under your oil filler cap ?

Doesnt burn any oil no smoke and no cream under the filler. Checked all these yesterday

Im hopin its just spilt oil, althouhg there isnt any sign of a spillage.

dan-hipgrave
07-06-2006, 17:10
Mine was like that when i forst got it - it was the rocker gasket, as said, try replacing that first.

jwarren2k2
07-06-2006, 18:55
what's involved in replacing rocker cover? is it a case of undoing the bolts, take off the cover and bolt it back on? or is there a bit more to it?

cheers,
James

philthy
07-06-2006, 18:58
was just about to ask that, surely there is a torrque setting for the bolts too?

cheers

dan-hipgrave
07-06-2006, 20:18
it really is as simple as undoing the bolts - there are some hidden ones under the spark plug cover though, so that all has to come off first..Not sure if there is a torque setting or not, i just did mine up from the centre outwards as tight as i could, but they prolly dont need to be too tight...