PDA

View Full Version : to cam or not to cam..

Martin
05-06-2006, 17:36
...thats is the question!

LOL

To be honest the only car I've really been impressed with after cams is 2lives...the rest have had indifferent results imo which is'nt good for a 1k outlay! I'm still tempted though... :wink:

Rich
05-06-2006, 17:47
that much money for 10bhp? unless you get the map doen as well imo why bother? spend the cash on 4pots and slicks instead

Martin
05-06-2006, 17:51
thats with a map....well maybe 1100 or summut....slicks you taking the mick!? :lol:

Daz.
05-06-2006, 17:53
Does it really cost a grand for cams?

I fancied this route next :?

Rich
05-06-2006, 17:55
lol well no pun intended after your second to latest problem (engine blowing being the last) i just think the money is better spent elsewhere, even if you have the inlets bigger @ angelworks and a re-map instead of cams, you have a spare head to send off dont forget

Coops
05-06-2006, 17:55
yeah but your new one cud have the same results as 2lives............thats what keeps us modding mate, so yes get it done and report back! :wink:

Zollo
05-06-2006, 18:04
As Rich said, money better spent elsewhere.

Cams will put yet more strain on the engine, potentially meaning even more money. With brakes and suspension you'll be replacing stuff that will need replacing at some point anyway, soit'll work out cheaper. Plus it'll give much better gains around a track.

Daz.
05-06-2006, 18:08
So what do people class as the best mod per £££ on a willy engine then?

Where do I go from here? Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!

richy
05-06-2006, 18:36
As Rich said, money better spent elsewhere.

Cams will put yet more strain on the engine, potentially meaning even more money. With brakes and suspension you'll be replacing stuff that will need replacing at some point anyway, soit'll work out cheaper. Plus it'll give much better gains around a track.

that is true, but as i found out the std cams dont always take the strain! mine cheared off lol

id invest in 4pots/better suspension first then look at more power later martin, having the 4pots on mine combined with the stiffer suspension has improved it alot!, no point coming into a corner at 10-20mph more if u can get round it lol

stew
05-06-2006, 18:46
cam it you slag! :wink:

Daz.
05-06-2006, 18:53
how much are boddies?

BenR
05-06-2006, 19:33
cam it!

I still feel its the best single engine mod you can make to the 2ltr.

And the mild cams that work on the stock ECU setup arent 'crazy' enough to add additional strain on the engine.

Daz.
05-06-2006, 19:38
Hmmm... don't know why i'm worried about it gonna be at least 12 months before i can do owt lol

Martin
05-06-2006, 19:41
hmmm ledas or cams ben?

2 live
05-06-2006, 19:51
tbh i reckon a well looked after/kept on top of susp and brake system can take more than the std lump can throw at it

so id say...more power hehe

followed very closely by coilovers/uprated susp.

BenR
05-06-2006, 19:52
hmmmmm

in that case, go ledas like i did lol.

saying that....my car is so gutless.

Hmmm, buy some ledas for about £700, then buy a set of cams with the rest of the £300, bang them in yourself saving labour...run about on stock ecu until you have some dosh for a remap.....then you got both lol.

Daz.
05-06-2006, 19:54
hmmmmm

in that case, go ledas like i did lol.

saying that....my car is so gutless.

Hmmm, buy some ledas for about £700, then buy a set of cams with the rest of the £300, bang them in yourself saving labour...run about on stock ecu until you have some dosh for a remap.....then you got both lol.

I like your thinking :wink:

BenR
05-06-2006, 20:00
i tell you, my valver has taken some serious abuse.

Stock engine, supposedly has BBPT headwork on (not taken it apart lol) but looks stock through the injector bosses, has some cams and timed in on verniers, stock ECU.

No problems.....so little that i just cant be botherd to touch it lol.

2 live
05-06-2006, 20:04
lol.know the feelin..mine ran cams on std ecu map for fukkin ages b4 i could get it in to see wayne.

was a fair bit quicker than it was originally too.

Daz.
05-06-2006, 20:10
lol.know the feelin..mine ran cams on std ecu map for f**kin ages b4 i could get it in to see wayne.

was a fair bit quicker than it was originally too.

I'm having thoughts now :D

How was it - was it very lumpy or was it managable?

2 live
05-06-2006, 20:13
not lumpy at all mate....had the distict cammed burble, but not lumpy 1 bit

BenR
05-06-2006, 20:16
yea, all down to how you prefer the cams dialed in.

Mine is lumpy, but wont stall.

FlamingMonkey
05-06-2006, 21:40
Mine is lumpy too 8)

Daz.
05-06-2006, 22:02
Mine is lumpy too 8)

oh aye i forgot about your cams 8)

FlamingMonkey
05-06-2006, 22:09
Mine is lumpy too 8)

oh aye i forgot about your cams 8)

How rude :shock:

Daz.
05-06-2006, 22:10
I apolgoise profoundly!!

I want to play with your cams anyway :twisted:

FlamingMonkey
05-06-2006, 22:23
I apolgoise profoundly!!

I want to play with your cams anyway :twisted:

Who doesn't...lol

Daz.
05-06-2006, 22:25
Aye but i'm nearer 8)

Plus I know where to get them done 8) 8)

Chris n`nic
05-06-2006, 22:36
I was going to go for Cams in mine eventually but don`t want to lose what I`ve already got if you know what I mean....some cam`d 172s are nowhere near as quick as mine at the mo..plus I can`t afford at the mo so a bit pointless lol

Chris

Daz.
05-06-2006, 22:43
I thought f7r's responded quite well to cams - surely cams even if they didn't respond wouldn't make the car slower would they?

BenR
05-06-2006, 22:44
F7 and F4 are so different in regards to the way they respond to cams.

The F4's stock cams are pretty much the same what most people upgrade to in regards to their F7R's.

Daz.
05-06-2006, 22:45
1-0 to the 7 8)

GazTwo
05-06-2006, 23:08
Get the head done Martin, Ste will sort it out....something different than cams and I reckon u'll see better gains.... :D

Daz.
05-06-2006, 23:19
or do both :D

2 live
06-06-2006, 07:59
tbh, i think headwork on a williams will only give minimal gains, unless of course its coupled up to cams etc

northy
06-06-2006, 08:13
never seen one of ste's heads done - from looking at the work he has done with golfs there is alot of performance to be had.

2 live
06-06-2006, 08:42
id still go cams tbh....williams and golf heads are totally diff. not a rite lot of scope in the willy head. sure it can be bettered, but like i say i think the gains will be minimal

just stay away from kent cams mate.......knowsit. lol

northy
06-06-2006, 08:48
should of said that the F7 heads might not show as much gain as a sorted Golf one.

Still waiting to hear back from kent about my cams...had them ages now.

bill.
06-06-2006, 09:09
leda's, get a group buy going again.........i want some :wink:

Zollo
06-06-2006, 09:10
I was under the impression Martin's suspension was pretty worn. Personally I reckon standard new suspension and Wilwoods will give better gains around a track than cams. Add coilovers instead of standard shocks, it the difference will be even greater.

Lightness and handling is more important than power on a track. And it's not as though his engine is a slow one.

2 live
06-06-2006, 09:16
if that was the case.the cup cars would have been a lot quicker on track at brunters...no offence to anyone like, but they light.....handle very well...but lack the power....and it showed tbh

i know the lads were trying to get to know the car a little, but even the straight line speed showed this.....somewhere like donny etc, would show this even more i reckon.

Zollo
06-06-2006, 09:19
Well then, if it was all down to power, how come Flan wasn't miles quicker than everything else out there? If 110bhp extra doesn't get you much, what will 15bhp worth of cams do?

northy
06-06-2006, 09:22
dont forget the Mk1 cup cars are powered by 1.8's br scotts thats a 2.0

2 live
06-06-2006, 09:23
there is that........lol

but look at yozzas cup in the same light..same kinda hp...flans shudda bin up there with it... :wink:

check out the oulton vids, or donny vids.......kinda shows wot cams n a remap can do compared to std .......look at the way jesus' pulled past jans down the back straight......n/w meet....the way mine pulled past wez's down a straight road..

2 live
06-06-2006, 09:24
dont forget the Mk1 cup cars are powered by 1.8's br scotts thats a 2.0

exactly..but the power doesnt matter....lol

Zollo
06-06-2006, 09:30
there is that........lol

but look at yozzas cup in the same light..same kinda hp...flans shudda bin up there with it... :wink:

check out the oulton vids, or donny vids.......kinda shows wot cams n a remap can do compared to std .......look at the way jesus' pulled past jans down the back straight......n/w meet....the way mine pulled past wez's down a straight road..

Yozza's Cup is almost 50bhp down on Flan's Clio. Properly sorted suspension saw that it was miles quicker though.

Aye, but if Jan or Wez had had properly setup coilovers and stronger brakes, they would have taken so much time out of you on the corners you wouldn't have been near them on the straight! :P :wink:

J o n
06-06-2006, 09:46
Jan wouldn't have mate, on the vid we#re coasting round the corner in 2nd waiting for the other car to either move over, or speed up and crack on... plus 2 up Vs 1 up, so have to disagree there Mr Zollo.

2 live
06-06-2006, 10:00
lol

the cup cars have properly sorted suspension n brakes....i passed them....albeit backwards wen i passed northy lol.jus goes to show how slow they are ;)

seriosly tho...put 2 cars together, of the calibre of the williams...throw susp at 1.and spend same on mods on the other.....the eng modded would win round a track.

northy
06-06-2006, 10:05
lol, when you passed me i thought 'fek me he's travelling a bit there' if you'd of been on the right line - i bet you could of made that chicane heeeheee

the cups run williams suspension with the 4 degrees camber, couldnt comment on the handling as my tracking was so baddly out at FCS.

On the straights i was on pace for a standard williams - but again problems with it spluttering out of the '2live' chicane ment it was ages before i could press the pedal fully.

2 live
06-06-2006, 10:14
tbh mate i seemed to be catchin u pretty easily. and as zollo agreed, mines runnin about std willy spec now, speedwise.

northy
06-06-2006, 10:23
i was tailing summeh for a few laps till i got passed.

Zollo
06-06-2006, 10:28
Jan wouldn't have mate, on the vid we#re coasting round the corner in 2nd waiting for the other car to either move over, or speed up and crack on... plus 2 up Vs 1 up, so have to disagree there Mr Zollo.

It was meant tongue-in-cheek mate. Hence the :P s and :wink: s.

I really can't see how 15bhp more power would lower a lap time more than replacing 100k+mile old suspension and brakes with brand new coilovers and 4-pot brakes :?

I've never heard of race teams recommending lairier cams over sorting the suspension and brakes first. It goes against everything everyone says and does.

If Martin isn't bothered about lap times and wants to better his quarter mile times and giant-slaying abilities on the road, then sure, cams are a better way to spend his money. But for track days, cams are a bit of a waste IMO.

2 live
06-06-2006, 10:29
but just out of interest.

zollo..what brakes suspension were u running?

Zollo
06-06-2006, 10:30

About £1000 worth of Brand New suspension and Wilwood brakes. Which offers a better gain than 15bhp around a track, that's for sure.

J o n
06-06-2006, 10:38
lol, fair enough Zollo, I'm just pointing out the headstart he had and how much difference there was when Jon ripped past him.

For a normal road car I think suspension and brake mods are great, but I think most people like myself are better at stamping on the go pedal than taking corners like a rally driver, I've not even exploited the current setup anywhere near it's potential, however I can say I've had every available bhp out of the engine.

As regards race teams you cant compare the two, their cars are designed to run with constraints, ours aint... plus they have engines that last 1 race, so I dont think tuning them further and harder is really an option lol

So, for US non race/rally driving experts imo cams would improve times more than brakes and suspension, as none of us are good enough to make the difference imo.

2 live
06-06-2006, 10:49

About £1000 worth of Brand New suspension and Wilwood brakes. Which offers a better gain than 15bhp around a track, that's for sure.

against about £450 worth of avo coilovers(over 3 years old so not at their best) and std brakes with a higher spec than std pad in the fronts only.

and there was literally nothing between our lap times wen i was following u.

if id have had the cams in......ud have been a spec in the mirror after 1 straight, and the near flat long right hander. honestly mate..they do make that much diff. and again.the cornering speeds werent diff enough for u to catch that gap back up.

Zollo
06-06-2006, 10:49
On the road, you'd be right. The standard brakes and suspension of a Williams is more than adequate. And a little extra power can be exploited better on the road, because you're driving in a straight-line most of the time.

However, I've spoken to enough (normal, everyday) people who have all taken the same route when modifying their track cars - brakes and suspension first, power later. It's a no-brainer! Race teams (even when they also modify their engine - which they do, frequently) also take this route because it's the done thing.

Phone up any tuning company and ask them what the first thing they'd recommend doing to a track car would be. If just one of the recommends more power over better sus or brakes, I'll eat my hat!

Zollo
06-06-2006, 10:55
if id have had the cams in......ud have been a spec in the mirror after 1 straight, and the near flat long right hander. honestly mate..they do make that much diff. and again.the cornering speeds werent diff enough for u to catch that gap back up.

It's all speculative, so I'd say that if I'd had brand new coilovers/bushes/neg camber bolts, you'd have been a spec in my mirror :D

Zollo
06-06-2006, 10:58
What lap times were you doing at Oulton 2live?

2 live
06-06-2006, 11:00
lol.but we not talkin track cars are we??

we talkin normal evryday use cars.used for goin the shops as well as drag meets, track meets, enthusiastic a-b road driving.

how many of the so called experts have experienced the williams set up??

and for evryday use, occasional trackday use, they instantly say..brakes(4 pots) susp.??.....owt to sell stock eh?? the brakes on mine didnt seem to be any worse than yours at brunters.had no fade, travel was constantly good, bite was also good.

yeah i agree, on a track car i would do this, on most other cars, i would also do this. have done this for years in the minis......but the susp/brake set up is plenty enough for the novice driver such as us ......in the williams....and can cope with more speed than the engine will allow a lot of the time. which is why on these cars, id say if the susp/brakes are ok ..then do the engine. altho i would also say probly upgrade to coilovers rather than get new std items....if susp is knackered.

but gettin back to the point in question...martin already has the 4 pots, so he can stop well.....so why not compliment the extra stopping power with the extra speed needed for the extra stopping power? lol

2 live
06-06-2006, 11:03
What lap times were you doing at Oulton 2live?

er dunno tbh mate

will check the vids now.

Zollo
06-06-2006, 11:09
My original point was that, if you want a quicker car around a track, spending money on suspension and brakes is more beneficial than cams. Particularly for Martin, but for others as well.

I'm not doubting that cams will make good gain for a road-biased, occasional track car. But I did say this....

If Martin isn't bothered about lap times and wants to better his quarter mile times and giant-slaying abilities on the road, then sure, cams are a better way to spend his money. But for track days, cams are a bit of a waste IMO.

Oh, I don't think Martin does have Wilwoods?

Swervin_Mervin
06-06-2006, 11:10
I'd do suspension anyway. The difference in mine just from doing the front top mounts and struts is shocking. Plus being able to take most of your speed off in one short stab of the brakes will massively increase your lap times.

Russ-16v
06-06-2006, 11:14
i would spend the money on somethin else mate,that old lump of mine ran so sweet,and never let any of us down i would spend out on better suspension tbh

i mean i got it down to 14.1 with just basic strip so i sure thats fast enough lol

2 live
06-06-2006, 11:18
2 up, with full interior, spare wheel etc, and completely standard brakes..

with simon 7/10 in pass seat, and fukt brakes, bout 2-27

with craggy in pass seat, ok ish brakes....dependant on how long i was held up for...between 2-16ish and 2-20.

oh..was slightly damp too

Flan
06-06-2006, 11:24
I would agree round a tight track like bruntingthorp with a better handeling car it would be much quicker, take Yozza’s for example. Couldn’t catch me down the straight but down the bottom corner came up my inside like a rocket, I would say with coilovers, good camber and track tyres I would have kept up, I was pushing bb tunings one for 2laps before I came in, BUT round a track like Donnington I think the extra power would leave most behind,

Its horses for courses

Zollo
06-06-2006, 11:27
2 up, with full interior, spare wheel etc, and completely standard brakes..

with simon 7/10 in pass seat, and fukt brakes, bout 2-27

with craggy in pass seat, ok ish brakes....dependant on how long i was held up for...between 2-16ish and 2-20.

oh..was slightly damp too

And that's with cams in yeah?

I know of a 1.8 Clio Cup car that has done at Oulton in - 1.52 (racing) and 1.54 with a normal, every day track day driver.

So at least 22 seconds quicker than you! Apart from the slicks and extra weight, how come that 1.8 was that much quicker than you, if it wasn't to do with the suspension setup?

2 live
06-06-2006, 11:35
obviously the guy has spent more time round the track than i have.......

driver

u see the top gear thing on sun....jackie stewart??

took 20 secs of gays laptime in a day......like i said.with time n experience good times will come....he changed nothing but his driving style...

so u can say a driver will be a lot quicker due to practise...;)

but if u take the 20 secs mrs jackie stewart says he can take off ur lap time.ud b looking at 1-56 ish..which for a car with brakes that faded after 3 hard stamps, and 1 with 4 seats carpets an a stereo....its not too shabby i dont think.

2 live
06-06-2006, 11:39
but just think how quick the car would have done it with 2.0 power....same susp mods. wouldve been 1.20s..... :shock:

Zollo
06-06-2006, 11:41

driver

took 20 secs of gays laptime in a day......like i said.with time n experience good times will come....he changed nothing but his driving style...

but if u take the 20 secs mrs jackie stewart says he can take off ur lap time.ud b looking at 1-56 ish..which for a car with brakes that faded after 3 hard stamps, and 1 with 4 seats carpets an a stereo....its not too shabby i dont think.

Lol. So now the driver does make a difference in these things? How do you know that driver has had loads of practice? How do you know he's any better than you? You're assuming a lot of things to try and gain 22 seconds a lap!

I've only been to Oulton once, but I bet I could lap quicker in a Cup car with road legal tyres than I could in any standard-suspended, cam'd Williams.

Zollo
06-06-2006, 11:42
I would agree round a tight track like bruntingthorp with a better handeling car it would be much quicker, take Yozza’s for example. Couldn’t catch me down the straight but down the bottom corner came up my inside like a rocket, I would say with coilovers, good camber and track tyres I would have kept up, I was pushing bb tunings one for 2laps before I came in, BUT round a track like Donnington I think the extra power would leave most behind,

Its horses for courses

What were your lap times at Donnington mate?

I'm only using yours as an example because it's so goddam quick in a straight line :)

2 live
06-06-2006, 11:47

driver

Lol. So now the driver does make a difference in these things? How do you know that driver has had loads of practice? How do you know he's any better than you? You're assuming a lot of things to try and gain 22 seconds a lap!

I've only been to Oulton once, but I bet I could lap quicker in a Cup car with road legal tyres than I could in any standard-suspended, cam'd Williams.

lol.iv never said the driver didnt make a diff...just that i arent the amazing driver ppl seem to think i am.

iv only been to oulton once too........out of interest.wot were your lap times??

i dare say with slicks.any car will gain a good whack of time round the track...couple that to a well sorted suspension, for THAT track, and again, time will tumble.

but for a car used evry day..these things are pointless.

increasing the drivability of it isnt.

Zollo
06-06-2006, 11:57
lol.iv never said the driver didnt make a diff...just that i arent the amazing driver ppl seem to think i am.

iv only been to oulton once too........out of interest.wot were your lap times??

i dare say with slicks.any car will gain a good whack of time round the track...couple that to a well sorted suspension, for THAT track, and again, time will tumble.

but for a car used evry day..these things are pointless.

increasing the drivability of it isnt.

Not sure what my lap times were to be honest. Not seen any proper vids of me around Oulton.

I'd say ANY track, the Cup car will be quicker. Martin hasn't said whether he's more interested in a better track car or a better road car. I was making the assumption he'd be more interested in lap times. Hence the recommendation of not bothering with cams.

dannyt
06-06-2006, 12:11
Suspension and brakes martin, you know you've already got one of the fastest engines so may aswell do the rest!

Flan
06-06-2006, 12:29
What were your lap times at Donnington mate?

I'm only using yours as an example because it's so goddam quick in a straight line :)

Dunno mate didn't have a camera or anyting. Round bruntingthorp it was so small there was not many places my extra power was an advantage. round the corners i'd say it was as quick as the good williams's but the fast right and straight towards the croud i was hitting 125 and coming past everyone. Brunting was a shockin track really and mine was skippin wide on most corners,

if anyone wants to have a good play on friday at bedford ill be there :lol:

Martin
06-06-2006, 15:14
Good to see we are having a good debate here lol

The suspension on my car is actually been renewed recently..so it should be as good as a stnd setup can get really and tbh I though it was pretty good.... albeit a brief run around around brunters.
I'm not sure whether I want to try the stnd suspension properly or change straight to avos/ledas....the stnd setup looks to be good fun..eh zollo!? :wink:

The brakes WILL be looked at soon as they don't inspire confidence....

BenR
06-06-2006, 15:23
Personally, track days for me are about having a giggle.

TO me that means slinging the car around and not really concentrating on ultimate lap times, as it is non competitive, and there are hardly ever any really really good drivers on the days. I know some people go hells bells as they are obcessed with being the 'best driver' on the day.

Stock suspension setups are great fun......and to setup some ledas etc to give that same sort of chuckability without the snappyness is faily hard, took me a good few weeks.

But the different between a cammed and stock engine isnt just 20bhp or so, but the engine comes alive with responsiveness, torque and drive from really low down. the getup and go willingness is just so much fun.

Zollo
06-06-2006, 15:25
Nothing like a good debate :wink:

Well if you've got new suspension on there, then you can't get much better than that :P . And if you're doing the brakes anyway, then there's not much else to spend money on!

edde
06-06-2006, 18:18
I know of a 1.8 Clio Cup car that has done at Oulton in - 1.52 (racing) and 1.54 with a normal, every day track day driver.

So at least 22 seconds quicker than you! Apart from the slicks and extra weight, how come that 1.8 was that much quicker than you, if it wasn't to do with the suspension setup?
I'm not going to say I'm a better driver than 2 live or have a faster engined car (it was slower) but I've got a video which shows my old Williams with me driving doing a 2.01 and thats with a holdup with the Toyos T1S with the wrong offset alloys which makes a big difference IMO.
I recon without the holdup I could have done a sub 2 minute lap with better road Continetial premium contack (I like them other don't) who knows maybe an extra second or 2.

My car wasn't a quick one even for its spec (14.7 at 92 or something MPH).

Also thats was chnaging up at 6.6k or so and the cams meant that max power wan't made till 7.2k so I was well down but I kept the revs down to keep the safety margin in the engine. A tunned 1.8 which i thnk the reacers were would be just as powerful.

richy
06-06-2006, 20:07
as i said previously id go with brakes and uprated suspension them cams if got any cash left! i was having fun at donington(my 2nd ever trackday) std engine but with 4pots and lapping around 1.34, not me who timed it btw, and thats with me pissing about trying to copy yoz lol no idea if thats as quick as others,

at angelsey the 2nd time i went i was sat with gaz in the nana for about 8 laps, again std engine, but 4pots and 200lb springs and all new suspension! no idea if gaz was going for it fully or having problems etc, but i was stuck with him untill i killed my n/s/f tyre! :lol:

in fact if u ask rob(flaming monkey) im pretty sure i totally outbraked his cammed willy 3 at angelsey to! he even tryed forcing me over lol :P

2 live
06-06-2006, 21:34
well if the susp is new, then no point changin that really tbh.

and the brakes i would imagine will be getting 4 pots asap.

lol

so i stick with my original opinion.....cams....hehe

think i was lappin donny somewhere in the region of 1.36s in the jesus' ...with him 2 secs quicker. than me. never got footage later on in the dry tho, or got a full lap unhindered. like oulton lol. i always seem to get held up somewhere along the line.

tis ok quoting lap times etc, but unless u get a clean run, and know the track well, then they pretty pointless tbh. im sure i can go round oulton quicker next time in a car thats down on power....simply because i have a better idea of the lines etc now. and teh lines i was taking on the day seemed good at the time..not so good on cam lol.

BenR
06-06-2006, 21:42
the ol driver excuses comming out eh ;)

you should be a racing driver.

Martin
06-06-2006, 21:50
Very good lap edde can you host it ...I think I know where I can go faster but would be good to see where you carry more speed...don't think I've gone faster than 2:05...

I'm not going to say I'm a better driver than 2 live or have a faster engined car (it was slower) but I've got a video which shows my old Williams with me driving doing a 2.01 and thats with a holdup with the Toyos T1S with the wrong offset alloys which makes a big difference IMO.
I recon without the holdup I could have done a sub 2 minute lap with better road Continetial premium contack (I like them other don't) who knows maybe an extra second or 2.

My car wasn't a quick one even for its spec (14.7 at 92 or something MPH).

Also thats was chnaging up at 6.6k or so and the cams meant that max power wan't made till 7.2k so I was well down but I kept the revs down to keep the safety margin in the engine. A tunned 1.8 which i thnk the reacers were would be just as powerful.

northy
07-06-2006, 08:01
the cup racers were a standard 1.8 engine that i know off mate to keep the series on a level playing field.

2 live
07-06-2006, 08:39
i thought they were allowed to play a little...air filters etc,

think the engines were sealed units tho, as northy says, not sure if they used the sodemo engine or a std 1800.

would be good to see ur vid edde....i know a few spots where i can pick up a bit of time, but obviously the time u did is takin around 15 secs a lap off me.....would b gud to see where i can pick some o those back up lol

northy
07-06-2006, 08:51
think air filters were allowed, carnt see on the video as no shots show it lol.

Looking on the video i got, some of the rocker covers are painted from standard. So the engines may have been blueprinted up by racing developers.

I know for certain the ecu was sealed.

2 live
07-06-2006, 09:12
kill power wud be the man to ask........grv also did a lot of em.....rollers now at re.

but think most of goodliffes were front runners

Zollo
07-06-2006, 09:44
I see a return trip to Oulton looming :P

northy
07-06-2006, 09:52
lol, wish i could join you guys 100%

Depening on whats needed to sort the cup out (so far its wiring to the alternator/ maybe new alternator, tracking and two new slicks) im hoping to sort a place out.

Zollo - your more than welcome to stay over with me and the lass if u want.

2 live
07-06-2006, 09:59
end of the month ;)

uv got a few weeks to get it sorted northy lad lol

Zollo
07-06-2006, 10:01
Zollo - your more than welcome to stay over with me and the lass if u want.

Cheers mate :)

Martin
07-06-2006, 14:35
get on the rs day zollo.... :)

Zollo
07-06-2006, 19:00
get on the rs day zollo.... :)

On holiday that day :(

Martin
07-06-2006, 19:22
booooooooooo! lol