PDA

View Full Version : Shocks - MOT pass???

donsrno1
05-06-2006, 15:31
I've got the MOT for the 1.4 tomorrow and was checking it over earlier but noticed a slight leak from the front shock absorbers. You can see some pictures HERE (http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i158/naplesclio/Shock/).

Do you reckon they would be OK to pass, or could they be failed?

I've had a look through some stuff online which says it can be failed for "A fluid leakage serious enough to indicate that the fluid seal of a shock
absorber has failed." but I'm not sure what would be classified as a serious leak.

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated as I don't want to waste £44 putting it through it's MOT if it'll fail on this.

Thanks.

TriO`
05-06-2006, 15:35
doesn't look that bad from the pics, you could probably just clean them up before the MOT to pass it and then replace them when you have time/cash

donsrno1
05-06-2006, 15:37
thanks mate. I thought of that but then thought if I miss a bit and it's obvious it's been cleaned then it might look a bit more suspicious. TBH they aren't too bad when driving, but I just don't want to throw away £44 for the MOT, if it's going to fail on them anyway.

Anyone else got an opinion?

Rich
05-06-2006, 16:17
why take the risk? just replace them, they arent expensive from gsf, just tell the garage to get them and fit them, saving you hassle of a re-test

donsrno1
05-06-2006, 16:21
I spoke to the garage earlier and they said they would have a quick look at them for me before the test and tell me if they would fail or not. That way if it'll pass then I can get it passed (hopefully as long as nothing else is wrong) tomorrow, but if they say it's a fail I'll fit some new ones and get the MOT later. I will be replacing them at some point anyway, but really need a car at the moment so need to get this MOT'd.

donsrno1
06-06-2006, 12:10
Just heard back from the garage. The car failed on the anti-roll bar link or something like that, the shocks passed OK. After asking him though he said it would be about £40 labour for the anti-roll bar link so, bearing in mind a re-test would cost me £44 anyway I'm just getting him to replace them - saves me a bit of work but it's an unwanted expense.

Rich
06-06-2006, 12:30
£40 labour for an anti roll bar link :shock: he's pulling your pants down on that one! its a 2 minute job! especially if its the outer bushes, inners may take a little longer but **** me £40 it better include the part and one of the damper legs!

clowo16v
06-06-2006, 12:31
You can take it back for a free retest within a certain time limit.

Matt

donsrno1
06-06-2006, 12:32
£40 labour for an anti roll bar link :shock: he's pulling your pants down on that one! its a 2 minute job! especially if its the outer bushes, inners may take a little longer but f**k me £40 it better include the part and one of the damper legs!

Who knows mate, but I don't have much choice because if I take it away from the garage I would have to pay for a re-test to get the MOT.

donsrno1
06-06-2006, 12:33
You can take it back for a free retest within a certain time limit.

Matt

Apparently thats only on certain items that you get 24hrs on though, and this isn't one of those items :(

donsrno1
06-06-2006, 12:35
could anyone who has the info availiable to them check the book time on this job for me please, so that I get an idea if I'm being bent over or not.