PDA

View Full Version : Willy/16v rear suspension

spree
19-04-2005, 12:57
On the tech sheet on this site it says that the williams has uprated suspension front and rear over the 16v.
I have been told by quite a few sources that the willy has the same set up on the rear as the 16v and that it is only the front that is different. i.e. wider track and different damper settings.

Can somebody shed any light on this?

KingStromba
19-04-2005, 13:28
Think it has different shocks to be honest

MatBrown
19-04-2005, 13:30
Yeah,
Shocks are different.

Mat.

summeh
19-04-2005, 13:55
is there any way to widen the track on the rear (spacers?)? would this improve handling?

was looking at my willy earlier and its noticeable that the rear wheels sit more inside the wheel arches.

Mark_Ritchspeed
19-04-2005, 14:17
Dont quote me on this, but I understand the torsion bar is slightly stiffer also.

As for improving the handling? The grippier you make the rear, the more it will understeer. I have always thought that Renault got the balance of the car completely perfect as standard. And I mean completely perfect, I dont think I have driven any car down a bumpy b-road that is as talented all round as a Williams. You can include Evo's and Scoobs in the equation as well.

To be honest my car is much less user friendly than a standard Williams and probably slightly less well balanced, but its just how I like the car to be. As long as the front grips at all times, the rear will catch up eventually.

Winston
19-04-2005, 14:19
Ive got ET28 wheels on the back.....spaces them out 9mm, still no way near as wide as the front.

Jan
19-04-2005, 14:57
Mark's right - the rear torsion bar is something like 30% stiffer i think on the williams 8)

Daz
19-04-2005, 14:59
Rear track on a Williams is the same as a 16v, but wider than an RT/RSi etc..

And as Mark says, there isn't any need to widen the rear track..

u33db
19-04-2005, 15:18

Is it really wider than an RT/RSI though?!

Reason i say this is that the front track of a 16v is the same as a non-16v...and the back is the same width in both cases. Given this, i really don't see how the rear beam would be wider...stiffer yes but not wider...i think its just the arches confusing things again isn't it? I've certainly never seen/heard anything to prove different...

Swervin_Mervin
19-04-2005, 15:20
IIRC there is a slight increase in rear track on willys, but that's from the offset of the speedlines.

spree
20-04-2005, 11:47
Bah! Now I am going to have to get the willy rear shocks and torsion bars to go with my willy front track otherwise I will feel forever inferior in my valver/williams hybrid!

I am also planning to lower it -35mm on boge springs.

spree
21-05-2005, 17:03
Just to clear this up for anybody who reads this....

The torsion bars are the SAME but the shocks are different!

End of story.

Daz
21-05-2005, 18:19

Reason i say this is that the front track of a 16v is the same as a non-16v...and the back is the same width in both cases. Given this, i really don't see how the rear beam would be wider...stiffer yes but not wider...i think its just the arches confusing things again isn't it? I've certainly never seen/heard anything to prove different...

Yes, by quite a bit.. I measured it on my 1.2 with Valver alloys compared to a 16v.

KingStromba
21-05-2005, 19:11
Sub frame is stronger on the Willy too

Winston
21-05-2005, 19:20
Aye.....Its double skinned

Twice as heavy :wink:

Daz
21-05-2005, 20:29
Aye.....Its double skinned

Twice as heavy :wink:

Twice as much momentum.. :lol:

Martin
21-05-2005, 20:36

End of story.

Well Nick Hill and 2live have told me different...they say the torsion bar on the willy is stiffer than the 16v.

KingStromba
21-05-2005, 20:44

End of story.

Havnt you got some broken parts to sell as 'immaculate'?

You obviously know fook all about Williams' you arrogant, jumped-up, underhand, charlatanical, swindling, cheating low life.

For everyones information, this wanker sold me a broken bootstrip as immacualte and totally mint, and then refused to refund my money.

It makes you look even more stupid saying 'end of' when you are clearly wrong.

jill
21-05-2005, 20:52
^^^ i've seen it and it is indeed damaged!

summeh
21-05-2005, 20:53
photo's so we can all see :D

VIPERONE
21-05-2005, 21:49
Conmen should be banned form the site.... every williams owner is your brother/sister

richy
21-05-2005, 21:57
i remember when i sold my old scorpion decat he wanted me to send it and give my bank details to him so he can transfer the money, but he wouldnt pay by cash or cheque!

u33db
22-05-2005, 10:39

Yes, by quite a bit.. I measured it on my 1.2 with Valver alloys compared to a 16v.

How can that be tho - to my knowledge the front of say an RT and a 16v have the same track, if what you say is true it would mean the rear of a 16v is wider than the front??!! Between what points did you measure if you don't mind me asking?

Mark_Ritchspeed
22-05-2005, 10:43
I must admit I'm not 100% sure. I know the dampers are slightly stiffer, but I also thought the track was wider and the torsion bar a bit stiffer.

I am just as confused as you, but I would have thought Nick Hill would know as he does have vast experience of the Clios. :?

If anyone has one of those dialogy thingys, can they look up the part numbers for the torsion bar to confirm?

Daz
22-05-2005, 10:55

How can that be tho - to my knowledge the front of say an RT and a 16v have the same track, if what you say is true it would mean the rear of a 16v is wider than the front??!! Between what points did you measure if you don't mind me asking?

The 16v has wider track at the front than an RT.. Heh.
I looked into it all when I had my 1.2.. there wasn't a way to replicate the suspension easily, without messing with arches etc.. so I didn't..

u33db
22-05-2005, 12:22
Yep, i've looked into it too. :?

I thought it could be done with bolting the 16v hub carriers and shocks on as i've been told in varying places the that the non 16v subframe is the same shape, as are the wishbones and 'shafts? Might need to enquire further...

BTW i don't know if anyone spotted this post on CS by cliokongen 2 days ago about fitting a stiffer item - it may be of interest (i assume by R5 express he means the Renault Extra van);

"They are not stiffer/thicker on the Willy... They both use torsion bars that are 21,? mm thick

Use torsion bars from the R5 Express (van version) they are 23,3 mm thick - but be aware that You will change the handling of the car (wont feel it much with normal driving though)

These torsion bars are a direct fit to the Clio 16v/Willy cars. I use this mod on my old Clio 16v Cup car :-)

Michael"

Lunner
22-05-2005, 18:18
Apparently the Renault part numbers for the williams and 16v torsion bar are the same, so they must be the same

Swervin_Mervin
23-05-2005, 10:57
The torsion bars have EXACTLY the same part no. The only difference in any of the components is the shocks.