PDA

View Full Version : Williams engine help needed

dan-hipgrave
04-06-2006, 22:36
I was looking at the water pipes that ive got for the williams engine today, and cant figure out how the oil cooler is plumbed in..

In the picture below, ive got the main water pipe from the water pump/bottom of radiator, and its got a long extension on it thats not on the valver water pipes, where does that go? Im assuming it goes to the auxiliary water pump?? (valver pipe still attached, shown on right)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Hybrid%20conversion/DSCF0015.jpg

Also, Mat supplied me with this small water pipe, how does that plumb in? Does it now go where the pipe was in the valver water system that went to the auxiliary pump? (still attached on the right)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Hybrid%20conversion/DSCF0018.jpg

I really cant afford anything else this month after buying the gearbox, so if i do need other parts, can i get away with running a valver oil filter, no oil cooler and the standard valver water system?

Oh and a couple of other things - on the valver block there was a bracket bolted just above the sump, by the dipstick, running up to the bottom of the inlet manifold, and it held the power steering pipe (metal one running from the pump). However the hole for the bolt aint there on the williams lump, so im guessing i'll be alright in leaving the bracket off??

Last thing i promise - on the inlet manifold on the valver, there was a vacuum feed-off for the brake servo and one other thing that ran off to the left hand side of the bay, and then went into the wheelarch, however the williams inlet only has one vacuum take-off, for the brake servo, will i be alright in plugging the now reduntant line? What is it even for?

Cheers guys,

Dan

Lunner
04-06-2006, 22:39
I found when i stripped my engine the cooler wasn't plumbed in and the temps never got over 120, however on the valver the oil hits 140/150 round the track, and 140 sat at 110 on the road, but hybruid had a low temp thermostat

dan-hipgrave
04-06-2006, 22:41
Cheers for the quick reply Lunner..I was pretty sure i could use the valver system if it came to it, just needed confirmation :D

Lunner
04-06-2006, 22:42
I never said that lol

I nee dfot go and look at mat;s engine and see where the pipes go etc before i stick mine in

dan-hipgrave
04-06-2006, 22:45
Ah yeh but your oil cooler wasnt plumbed in, and was fine, so im taking that as confirmation :wink: Will get a low temp thermostat if i run into any problems..

Got any idea on my vacuum pipe problem?

MAXIBOY
04-06-2006, 22:50
think you should be alright leaving the oil cooler unplumbed for a bit till you can afford silicone hoses. think the other hose goes to the charcoal cannister. driver side wheel arch?

VIPERONE
04-06-2006, 23:07
Stand by i may be able to help :-) i'll locate a pic i have.. something is not correct on your pics..ie wrong place: i'll have a look for you

VIPERONE
04-06-2006, 23:14
The black bracket as you look at your car from the front inwards.. on the right hand side of the block.. its incorrect.

That small pipe is correct .. the Williams black pipes is twin model.. hence the small pipe from the oil cooler plumbs in to the lower pipe of the black bracket..

You need to source the part /:-)

Hope this helps... cant find my pics.. sorry !

dan-hipgrave
05-06-2006, 17:05
Ah yeh, i get ya mate - the black bracket was taken off the valver..I had a hunch that it might be different on the Williams.

I'll just run the valver cooling system for now.

Oh, and the other vacuum hose i cant plug in is going down into the drivers side wheelarch. Am i alright in leaving it unplugged or even plugging it with a screw?

Cheers :D

stevie_b
06-06-2006, 12:43
The other vacuum pipe goes to the charcoal canister used to stop fuel vapour loss from the tank into the atmosphere. It shouldn't be crucial but since you are not using it anymore I would be inclined to remove the whole canister (saves a kilo and a bit) and then plug up the pipe that goes into the canister from the fuel tank instead.

dan-hipgrave
06-06-2006, 13:54
Cheers for your help mate.

Dan

VIPERONE
06-06-2006, 18:33
I placed a screw in the end dan.. and ditched the charcoal canister away

dan-hipgrave
06-06-2006, 20:17
Gunner - does it affect your emissions/fuel consumption or anything running without it?

VIPERONE
07-06-2006, 02:01
NO