PDA

View Full Version : How long to fit a new G-box?

Danny-ACE!
03-06-2006, 00:50
How long am I looking at to take mine out and stick a new one in? I have never done it before. I have a haynes manual for reference.

Should I take it out from the top like it suggests or from the bottom?

Daz.
03-06-2006, 00:53
oooo a new thread to post on!

hold on what was the question?

Danny-ACE!
03-06-2006, 00:55

:?

Coops
03-06-2006, 00:55
massive divide on this, some people drop subframe, some people wiggle it out the top, either way its a tough job if u want to leave the engine in. rekon if i did it i'd call it a weeks job and take the whole chuffin engine out n do the clutch at the same time! :wink:

Danny-ACE!
03-06-2006, 00:57
The reason I have to change the box is because some knobber fooked it when changing the clutch. You might have read my thread on the engine mounts? Clutch has done about 300miles. I dont need a new one. Just take the clutch off old one. Pop it on the new one and put it back in.

Coops
03-06-2006, 00:58
oh sounds so easy! issue tends to be that there aint quite enuf space to wiggle the box off over the clutch with the engine in, so its gonna be a struggle, likely thats why they ****ed ur box, they not liable then surely if they damage your car whilst its under contract for work they are doing?!

Daz.
03-06-2006, 00:59

:?

Sorry i'm just incredibly knackered but bored at the same time!!

As Coops said hes a legend don't you know :wink:

Danny-ACE!
03-06-2006, 01:00
oh sounds so easy! issue tends to be that there aint quite enuf space to wiggle the box off over the clutch with the engine in, so its gonna be a struggle, likely thats why they f**ked ur box, they not liable then surely if they damage your car whilst its under contract for work they are doing?!

I bought it and then it happened. The guy I bought it off isnt prepared to get it fixed therefore leaving me with the bill. DICKHEAD!

Coops
03-06-2006, 01:02
bitchin, well in that case i'd wait for a bit till someone whos done a box lets u know! :wink:

Danny-ACE!
03-06-2006, 01:07
bitchin, well in that case i'd wait for a bit till someone whos done a box lets u know! :wink:

Ok then! Cheers. Basically the mounting bolts got ripped out because the Bodging Cunts at the garage he got the clutch done with put 2 of one bolt and one of another one in. Not 3 renault bolts. This eventually broke after I had the car for 2 days. Seller pulls the "sold as seen" thing on me. Wont take it up with the garage.
I got it welded but the place did a shit job. It looked like Birdshit. That was a waste of £213 and petrol money.

I phoned up Infinicar and bought a Gbox from them for about £200 including postage. 66000 miles on it apparently.

Should be here on Monday then I have all day Tuesday to fir it. I was hoping it would only take a day. But you are scaring me into thinging its gonna take longer than that. :oops:

Daz.
03-06-2006, 01:08

I thought you did yours as part of the rebuild?

Coops
03-06-2006, 01:10
if u know what ur doing it'll take a day np, but i have rebuilt most of my engine n i dont rekon i cud do it in a day, but i've never tried! :P

either way u gotta do it, so dive on in! but remeber that haynes aint the bible, its often frustratingly wrong!

Daz.
03-06-2006, 01:12
if u know what ur doing it'll take a day np, but i have rebuilt most of my engine n i dont rekon i cud do it in a day, but i've never tried! :P

either way u gotta do it, so dive on in! but remeber that haynes aint the bible, its often frustratingly wrong!

And has nothing in it at all about a Williams....

MAXIBOY
03-06-2006, 01:36
first time day out and day back to be on the safe side. as some things bound to break. subframe bolts holding cages etc

Rich
03-06-2006, 01:44
And has nothing in it at all about a Williams....
most of the stuff in haynes is the same principle for a williams, just stuff like the shells and main bearing tolerences ect are different, its the same for a valer as it is a williams to remove a g/box

VIPERONE
03-06-2006, 06:09
By far the asiest method (ive tried all methods) is engine out lol however for you i would recommend:

Subframe lowered method..
1) Undo all 4 subframe bolts, lower thesubframe (it will hand on the ps pump pipe) then remove box and reapply new box... quickestway mate

MatBrown
03-06-2006, 09:30
I agree, Engine out is best, can check/change all the other bits then too.

Mat.

samboRT
03-06-2006, 09:41
i have changed the clutch on a mk1 172, hardest thing i have ever had to do... lol.

we found it easier.... remove driveshafts, hubs, struts etc... then we loosened the top mounts and removed the bottom mount, had a jack under the engine and jacked up the car... a bloody good rattle and it came free, so we left it tilted out, removed the box on it and rattled it out.. was a bitch of a job and with the no room in a mk1 172 bay it was very fiddly... soo many little things need to be done, very time consuming.

but im 17, and me and my brother managed it, soooo good luck tehe

Andyvalver
03-06-2006, 14:50
Done it 3 times now to my car, engine out seems the best way. Never really fancied the subframe route.

Danny-ACE!
03-06-2006, 15:13
Done it 3 times now to my car, engine out seems the best way. Never really fancied the subframe route.

Wanna come and help me?

:lol:

Andyvalver
03-06-2006, 15:18

Wanna come and help me?

No, cuz its a pian in the arse lol

Danny-ACE!
03-06-2006, 15:19

Wanna come and help me?

No, cuz its a pian in the arse lol

Ok :cry:

MAXIBOY
03-06-2006, 17:01
have you an engine hoist

J o n
03-06-2006, 17:05
2 live swapped a gearbox over before I'd finished eating a packet of Hula Hoops once... they were salt and vinegar new recipe though, cant eat them too fast or they make your mouth feel funny...

donsrno1
03-06-2006, 19:11
I just did this last week. I took mine out the top as after speaking to Chris H he said lowering the subframe wasn't a good idea. What I did was to undo all engine mounts and leave the engine resting on a trolley jack (bit of wood between them to spread the weight) then I pushed the engine across till it was resting against the o/s of the engine bay. This gives you a few more inches to manouevre the old box out. By doing this it is possible to remove the box with the clutch in place, but, it's a right bugger and i would suggest just removing the clutch and then re-fitting it when the new box is on. The main problem is just space as it's very tight indeed, but once you get the box to pass the clutch it's easy enough to lift it out by hand (and i'm a skiny b*stard).

One huge advantage would be if you can manage to remove the studs from the bottom of the box as it will then easily give you enough room to get it out. On mine I couldn't be arsed with that and just cutt them off though as te box was going to be scrapped anyway.

If you have an engine hoist I would definately suggest removing the engine as you can do the cambelt etc and it won't take much longer, if any longer at all.

Lunner
04-06-2006, 08:41
massive divide on this, some people drop subframe, some people wiggle it out the top, either way its a tough job if u want to leave the engine in. rekon if i did it i'd call it a weeks job and take the whole chuffin engine out n do the clutch at the same time! :wink:

Week, wtf are you messing about at? :wink:

Took me 3 hours to get my engine out, and that includes cutting away the front of the car to get the rad out as it was all bent in.

Engine out is easiest and quickjest, 2 hours out, 30 mins to swap box and then 3 hours or so all back in, but you need the gear, otherwise out the bottom, mine took me 2 days, but there was alot of fannying about learning involved, i recon 10-12 hours now out teh bottom, will let you all know Tuesday night.

Gibbo tried it out the top, after doig out the bottom, and recned that the bottom was easier and quicker.

Can change teh clutch without taking the engne out easy enough, could prolly do it with teh box in there, but its alot easier to just take box out bottom and then it gives you more room to line the ****er up

Bayliss
04-06-2006, 09:15
drop subframe off all six bolts (4 on bottom and 2 lil arms attatched to bottom arms) remove both hubs and passenger side shocker, remove gearbox oil and both shafts, support engine using engine crane or simular, remove weight of gearbox by using selected method of support, remove airbox/filter, remove top engine mount, remove gearbox bolts and nuts and not forgetting the starter motor bolts too.

hour and a half to remove, about 3 hours to put back together once you've changed clutch etc,

easy as pie lol well not quite but its fun finding out how to do it

steveos_16valver
04-06-2006, 09:48
took me 8 hours to take the engine out wack a new box on and bok it back up on my drive way with no crain and on my own

drop the sub frame and drop the engine its so much easyer loads more room but i wouldnt recommend doing it on you own with no mechanical knowlage

but good luck if you do

dan-hipgrave
04-06-2006, 10:06
LOL you guys make it sound so easy - 3 hours to take the engine out! I wish i was that quick - its taken me more like 15 over a period of 3 days :lol:

VIPERONE
04-06-2006, 12:39
lol

IVE TRIED ENGINE OUT,
gearbox ou of the top
gearbox out of the side with 2 subfrme bolts out..

now i am going to just take the subframe off and change it.. by far the quickest method.

Danny-ACE!
04-06-2006, 21:28
Ok
I have just spent an hour on it. Thought I may as well start it.

I had to cut the tracking bolt off.
I got as far as taking the calliper off then it started to raim.

:(

Hopefully my Gbox comes tomorrow and I will be on the road on Tuesday? I really hope so!

Thanks for all of your help. I think I am just going to take it out from the top. :oops: