PDA

View Full Version : My Hybrid conversion (updated - finished!!)

dan-hipgrave
01-06-2006, 19:13
As some of you may remember, i bought a rebuilt Williams engine a few months ago..

Looked like this when i got it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/clio%20rebuild/Engine7.jpg

Well, after spending quite a bit of money i managed to build it up from essentially being a bare block to having brand new alternator + belt, new thermostat, new plugs/leads/dizzy cap etc etc. Only things on it that arent new are the starter motor and gearbox..Sorry no pics of the new engine yet..

Well, after the valvers starter motor siezed at FCS, that was the kick up the arse i needed to finally start the conversion today.

Im using a mates barn, not the best of places, but it was the only place i could get. The gravel floor makes it hard to work on, and there is no power in the building, and not a lot of light..

So, ive got until monday off work, and started today at 12.30...

First step - remove bonnet:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Hybrid%20conversion/DSCF0001.jpg

I have never attempted anything like this on my own before, and was pretty daunted at the sight of what lay ahead..

Next steps - Battery and airbox off, manifold heatshield removed, coolant drained and radiator + fan assembly removed. (Notice how the Haynes manual has had to come out already - i truely am a novice at this, hope it works out ok)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Hybrid%20conversion/DSCF0002.jpg

Next steps - Gearbox oil drained, downpipe removed, decat pipe removed, dogbone mount removed, most of the loom undone, along with a few more pipes. Accelerator cable & clutch cable undone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Hybrid%20conversion/e0d5b8d0.jpg

Finished at 5.30 - so 5 hours to get that far.Hopefully by the end of tommorrow the old engine will be out.

More pics to come tommorrow evening!

Rich
01-06-2006, 19:20
a little tip mate, take the loom out attached to the block, just undo the plugs fuse box side and remove the other end with the ecu and swap the loom over afterwards, save wires being everywhere

VIPERONE
01-06-2006, 19:40
I took my negine out like this:

Head off lifted aout.. bottom end draggedaway through a driveway lol

its great working in shite condintions../less than ideal.. now i have moved into my mates i have a huge garage its great:-)

it looks like the hard work is already done for you so its a matter of bolting on the gearbox.. make sure the gearbox your putting on is one of quality.. DO NOT PUT A VALVER BOX ON There shite.

i'd be surpised if one would last 2 years ormore lol. i made the mistake of a valver box twice lol.

dan-hipgrave
01-06-2006, 22:26
Too late im afraid Gunner - already bought and sprayed up a valver box. Im tempted to sell it on and go for Mat Browns new Williams one though...

Cheers for the loom tip Rich, that was one of the issues that i was worried about, but makes more sense doing it like you said..

VIPERONE
01-06-2006, 22:40
Oh dear...

they cant handle the power/torque lol

ive learnt the hard way...another box may have goneon me.. im going to buy new next time.

Coops
01-06-2006, 23:07
get that blummin cross member off n all son! makes access to the bay WAY better! :wink:

best way straight in at the deep end mate, more fun and better to go a lone, u learn more!

oh n us lot are here if u get stuck mate!! :P

dan-hipgrave
01-06-2006, 23:09
I tried removing the crossmember, but it didnt seem to wanna have none of it - ive seen Clios where the bit between the headlights is removed, but on mine its all solid right up to the wings?! Will have another bash tommorrow...

Coops
01-06-2006, 23:13
:?

undo red circled bolts, shud come straight off, all valvers/williams have this, only way the whole engine can be lifted out/dropped in!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/e0d5b8d0.jpg

dan-hipgrave
01-06-2006, 23:15
Right, cheers for that mate, will try tommorrow..

Whats the best way you guys have found for removing the driveshaft hub nuts? Have someone sit on the brakes?

Dan

Coops
01-06-2006, 23:18
wheels still on, car in gear , wheels chocked and hadbrake on, then big fook of breaker bar on the end of the socket, dont use a ratchet either, solid socket bar! well that was how i did mine on my old rt years ago!

kj16v
01-06-2006, 23:26
Im using a mates barn, not the best of places, but it was the only place i could get. The gravel floor makes it hard to work on, and there is no power in the building, and not a lot of light..

At least you're indoors lucky bugger! I had to do my R5 engine under a carport in the snow!

Don't suppose your mate could rent me the use of his barn sometime in the future? Whereabouts is it? (PM me if you don't wanna dsclose the location)

Hey, If you get really stuck I might be able to come down and give you a hand if I have time. Let me know and I'll PM my phone number.
Us former Nova owners have gotta stick together!!

dan-hipgrave
02-06-2006, 17:52
Well, day 2 of the conversion has been completed.

First step of the day was to crack off them hub nuts using a 30mm socket on a bloody long bar! Got them off in the end, then undid the 3 nuts on the left-hand driveshaft and pulled that one out.

On the right hand side, i went underneath the car, found the hole where the roll-pin goes, started to tap it out only for the bar to go straight through the hole - there was no roll pin!! God knows how long ive been using the car like that for, but i literally pulled the driveshaft straight off!!

Pic of both driveshafts off - the longer one has a split outer CV boot, how hard is this to change? Where can i get a roll-pin from?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Hybrid%20conversion/DSCF0007.jpg

Next job was to undo all the remaining pipes, wires etc etc, and boy were there loads - just when i thought i had got them all, more kept cropping up.

Pic of the loom out (I did it completely the opposite way to what was recommended to me, as i was just undoing everything and suddenly realised that i should be doing it the other way round and taking the loom with the engine!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Hybrid%20conversion/DSCF0010.jpg

Started at 1.00 and finished at 5.00 with the engine crane in position, ready to whip the engine out first thing tommorrow..

Also had a visit from Mat Brown today, top bloke who delivered me a certain brand new Williams gearbox! At the same time as this my decat also arrived, so im ready to roll on the parts side of things now..

dan-hipgrave
02-06-2006, 17:58
Oh and the front crossmember is definately all one piece?! I tried removing it anyway - undoing all the bolts right up to the wings, but it still wouldnt budge..

Maybe the cars had a front ender at some point and a new panel put on??

Dan

Rich
02-06-2006, 17:59
ahh well at least the loom is piss easy to re-plug in fella, as said take off the slam panel as its much easier to get the engine out and it doesnt have to go as far in the air, it is doable without taking it off though if you cant remove it as other model clios the slam panel doesnt come off!

dan-hipgrave
02-06-2006, 18:01
Yeh slam panel, thats what i mean - thats the one what wont remove :?

MatBrown
02-06-2006, 19:38
Must have had a new front panel like you said, either that or it's not a 16v shell??
As for the roll pin, these are not actually needed as new driveshafts supplied from Renault no longer have the hole for them, but if you want to fit one they are only a couple of quid from Renualt.

Mat.

dan-hipgrave
02-06-2006, 23:25
Nah definately a 16v shell - everything on it iss 16v spec, plus its got the wider rear arches.. Must've just had a minor smash at some point and they bolted a poverty-spec clio slam panel on..

dan-hipgrave
03-06-2006, 18:41
Well, todays progress will probably not mean much to you guys that can remove these engines in a second, but it means a lot to me..

First step of the day, get the crane in position and take the weight of the engine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Hybrid%20conversion/DSCF0011.jpg

Then remove the 2 remaining engine mounts, and after about 2 hours of jiggling, going up and down on the crane, its out!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Hybrid%20conversion/DSCF0012.jpg

And an empty bay shot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Hybrid%20conversion/DSCF0013.jpg

More damage from previous monkey mechanics was found upon removing the engine - a plastic bit of trim had been left unclipped and was sat on the auxiliary belt, and has worn away to practically nothing, as well as one of the headlight level adjustor wires, which was also sat on the belt, which is now in 2 pieces (always wondered why that never worked!) Also the gearbox mount had 2 bolts missing and the starter motor had no bolts holding it in!

Was so much heaving involved to get it to come out - the water pump pulley caught on one side, the gearbox end casing caught on the other side, and then when i finally got it coming out, the bloody ABS module was in the way! Im 24hours behind where i thought i would be by now, so am expecting by the end of tommorrow to have the bay all cleaned up, and the new engine at least bolted in on the mounts...

Does anyone have any tips on getting the new engine in without any hassle? Preferably dont wanna scratch any of the engines paint nor the engine bay..

midge
03-06-2006, 19:57
from watching my engine go in you have to angle it with the gearbox pointing down at an angle get it past the abs unit and then put the other end down, its very tight and seams to be difficult

dan-hipgrave
03-06-2006, 20:02
Yeh thats pretty much the way it came out mate - had to lean on the gearbox while cranking the engine crane :lol:

I reckon if i position the ropes differently, it should hang at the right angle and drop straight in..

MatBrown
04-06-2006, 10:38
Your really against it having the fixed slam panel AND abs!

Mat.

dan-hipgrave
04-06-2006, 22:20
Tell me about it Mat! Its just my luck :roll:

Anyway, day 4 of the conversion..Not a lot of pics today im afraid, was too busy :)

First thing on the list today was cleaning:

Clean subframe pic (i originally intended to drop the subframe and send it away to be powdercoated after i had done this conversion, but seeing how well it came up here, theres no need) The rest of the bay was also cleaned, but no pics unfortunately..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Hybrid%20conversion/DSCF0014.jpg

The gearbox was then mated to the engine (twice becuase the first time i forgot the clutch release fork :oops: )

Then the whole assembly was hoisted up and into the engine bay:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Hybrid%20conversion/DSCF0019.jpg

Pic of the brand new gearbox, as i forgot to take one when it was on the ground..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Hybrid%20conversion/DSCF0020.jpg

The engine going in was much easier than getting it out, but its not quite fully in - i had to leave it about 1 inch above the mounts, and not quite aligned. I think the pulleys are jammed against the side of the bay, so a re-think is needed for tommorrow..

Martin
04-06-2006, 22:24
nice thread fella ..good work

Daz.
04-06-2006, 22:57
Must be so rewarding knowing your doing it all yourself :D

I don't have the balls to do something like that - well I do I just don't have a wallet deep enough to fix it lol

VIPERONE
04-06-2006, 23:03
dont be scared Daz Its easy...

Hmm that ABS would have been taken out if i were doing the conversion.. I have a brake pipe bender kit on its way to mine.. im am going to ditch the problematic bias alve and install a Wilwood Bias lever somewhere in the car...not
decided where yet lol.

Im also putting a new Williams Box in to my car. and Brand new shafts, anda brand new sub frame, and a manual rack and brand new wishbones, and brand new ball joints and AVo suspension, and new discs and bearings all around the car, new bonnet from renault.. new front bumper.. ...then lol...
I have something up my sleeve. :twisted: :twisted:

MAXIBOY
04-06-2006, 23:08
your gone to be busy with that lot mate

Coops
04-06-2006, 23:09
what u do to the other box fool! it was only like a week old!! :shock:

Daz.
04-06-2006, 23:15
dont be scared Daz Its easy...

Hmm that ABS would have been taken out if i were doing the conversion.. I have a brake pipe bender kit on its way to mine.. im am going to ditch the problematic bias alve and install a Wilwood Bias lever somewhere in the car...not
decided where yet lol.

Im also putting a new Williams Box in to my car. and Brand new shafts, anda brand new sub frame, and a manual rack and brand new wishbones, and brand new ball joints and AVo suspension, and new discs and bearings all around the car, new bonnet from renault.. new front bumper.. ...then lol...
I have something up my sleeve. :twisted: :twisted:

New top dash too I hope - all the holes in that one you have now the poor thing...

VIPERONE
04-06-2006, 23:27
nahall in a days work :-)

dash is fine.. all the holes serve a purpose ;-) I hve a spare dash for the unlikely eventuality of a sale

Daz.
04-06-2006, 23:55
Right well I'll give this a go then, I know i'm in desperate need for new brakes of some sort as these are the worst i've ever used - no confidence to late brake at all, even the van under full load has better stopping power!!

I'll get some good shit together and have a crack at changing it myself - thing is I want some sexy front calipers too and thats the daunting bit!

dan-hipgrave
05-06-2006, 17:01
what u do to the other box fool! it was only like a week old!! :shock:

Was that for me mate? The box i intented to fit to the williams engine was a valver box i got from infinicar..Going to be put on ebay tonight.

DazOrz - its not as hard as it looks mate, believe me, im like you - it looks scary with the loom and all the pipes, but its common sense really, just make a mental note when you remove any stuff, take pics if necessary..

No update today as im back at work, unless i decide to pop down after ive eaten later on..

Coops
05-06-2006, 18:03
nah mate, was for gibbo, he bought a new box not long ago and from what he posted sound like he's blown it again already! :shock:

kj16v
05-06-2006, 23:31
Did you remove the engine by yourself? - I know you did on Saturday cuz Tris was caning it round Basingstoke with me!
Well done, mate. After one go with help, I could swap a Nova engine by myself but I still needed my girlfriend to lift while I moved the engine around!

dan-hipgrave
06-06-2006, 08:38
Yeh i did remove the engine on my own, i had help at times, to sorta lever the engine over the ABS, but for the most part this conversion has just been done by me - so far all Tris has done was crack off the hub nuts while i sat on the brakes - what are mates for eh? :lol:

Lunner
06-06-2006, 17:56
I'm deff0o gonna buy a load bar for when i swap mine, so much hassle getting it out without, and tehy are only £30, even if i am borrowing the engine hoist

Andy P
06-06-2006, 19:41
Looking great mate.

So with a New willy box, recon lump you have it all.

Done the widetrack?

dan-hipgrave
06-06-2006, 20:23
Nah not got the widetrack....is on the very long list of parts to get though :wink:

Once its on the road, i want a front end, door bottoms and tailgate respray, then will start looking at other new parts like widetrack/suspension etc. Am also considering taking the leather interior out and having it stripped and caged..

No update today im afraid, though i will be spending all of tommorrow evening working on it, hopefully getting it all plumbed in and all the electrics sorted :D

dan-hipgrave
10-06-2006, 18:25
Well not updated this for a while, but its now on the road at last!

In the week i finished putting the new engine/gearbox in:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Hybrid%20conversion/DSCF0023.jpg

Then connected everything up over the next few days, and today all i had left to do was downpipe/decat and radiator and then all the fluids..

When that was done i cranked it on the starter with the king lead off, so that some oil got around the block. I then reconnected the lead and cranked it again - it didnt start, and after a few attempts the battery flattened. Connected it up to a mates car with jump leads, cranked again with my foot to the floor and it fired into life!

It was really tappety for the first few minutes of its new life, but now ive driven it the 20 or so miles home, its as quiet as you'd expect - except the downpipe/decat join is blowing rather badly so a visit to the exhaust centre is needed :roll:

Added my new badges when i got home tonight as well - am well chuffed with them, reckon they finish it off nicely:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Hybrid%20conversion/DSCF0025.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Hybrid%20conversion/DSCF0027.jpg

Problems so far - no/really poor brakes, leaking gearbox oil from unknown place, leaking engine oil from sump plug, minor coolant leak, blowing exhaust, oil pressure gauge not working and power steering really noisy :lol: I guess thats to be expected after my first engine swap. Twas a good experience though :D

Martin
10-06-2006, 19:06
Looking good fella...badges are a nice touch.

stew
10-06-2006, 19:10
nice one mate!

personally dont like the badges but each to their own. i think its that the HY is capitals then brid is lower case. just dont look right to me.

good effort on the engine conversion tho!

Scott-16v!
10-06-2006, 19:14
if the y was lower case i reckon they'd look alright, wheels look great 8)

dan-hipgrave
10-06-2006, 20:15
hmm yeh i see what you guys mean...Maybe i'll get a set mocked up with the lowercase 'y' as well, see how they look...

Got tommorrow to sort out all the problems created from the conversion now, plus give the car a damn good clean :roll:

Dan

dan-hipgrave
10-06-2006, 20:25
Forgot to put this pic up in the main post earlier :roll: taken just after i got it home..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Hybrid%20conversion/DSCF0026.jpg

Needs a good clean - covered in dirt and oil and fingerprints lol

Justin..
10-06-2006, 21:07
8) look forward to seeing it sunday . stickers are a nice idea :D

Andy P
10-06-2006, 22:29
What do you think she goes like then mate?

Wheels are stunning :P

dan-hipgrave
11-06-2006, 09:00
Frenchy - cant say what she goes like yet, im not taking it over 3k rpm for the first 500 miles to be safe, and also no full throttle action for that time as well..

Is a major improvement so far though - sounds much healthier upon starting up, and now that the oil has been round the engine its quiet as anything, and gearchanges are so smooth with the new box! Clutch is a lot lighter as well which is always a bonus :D

Andy P
11-06-2006, 10:44
You dont need to take it over 3k to feel the difference 8)

wavy
11-06-2006, 11:29
well done mate :) helpfull thread aswel

Justin..
11-06-2006, 14:09
just seen this car , very tidy 8)

Coops
11-06-2006, 14:20
good effort mate, bask in the glory of your own work! its the best way!! :P 8)

Daz.
11-06-2006, 14:48
love it!

love the stickers too where did you get them made up?

mikeymikewakey
11-06-2006, 16:30
Gorgeous!!

I WANT SOME OF THEM STICKERS!!

I WANT EM, I WANT EM!! :d

Mike

dan-hipgrave
11-06-2006, 16:39
Cheers for the positive replies guys, makes all the cost worth it, kinda lol

Hmm should i give away the source of my stickers.....yeh why not - its 'uksigncompany' on ebay - they sell the replica Williams stickers, and i asked them to make me a set of Hybrid ones, and i guess by the way it took them all of 2 mins to send me the designs, they've done them before for someone..

mikeymikewakey
11-06-2006, 16:46
Great stuff matey, thanks for sharing :) You're a gent!

Im sure i got my silver Hybrid lettering from them!

Mike

northy
12-06-2006, 08:20
very nice mate - bet your loving the extra powers !

dan-hipgrave
12-06-2006, 17:23
Im well cuffed Northy. Sorry i didnt call you the other night when you was nearby, i was out that night, but was gonna call you anyway, then completely forgot :x

Did you get the clio ok?

VIPERONE
13-06-2006, 01:01
those injectors :-|high flow beasts

RikiGT
13-06-2006, 08:22
hi i can make these Hybrid stickers, if anyones interested just pm me or email streetandtrackgraphics@hotmail.co.uk

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/ren5gtturbo/hyb.jpg

cheers, riki

MatBrown
13-06-2006, 10:56
They look well pissed up!

Mat.

RikiGT
13-06-2006, 18:52
They look well pissed up!

Mat.

well there not going to look the same as "williams" as its a different word mate :-$

Justin..
13-06-2006, 18:53
looks better now riki, could be better a tad smaller though imo 8)