PDA

View Full Version : Engine Up-date...

dannyt
31-05-2006, 21:31
Well dropped the head off at Road and Rally today, having the williams cams fitted, pressure tested, valves lapped, head skimmed, cleaned and then fully rebuilt basically!

Also got told whilst i was there, the williams cams are slightly different sizes, is this correct, if so would the bigger one be the inlet or exhaust?

It is better to skim an alloy head than grind as it gives a smoother surface, grinding is better for steel apparently!

Also 16v and williams heads have triple angle valves seat as standard, most moddern engines do supposidly!

Anyway the guys build touring car engines and do a lot of work on cosworth and ford lumps, and seem to know their stuff!

But if anyone disagree's then let me know, as i'd like to know if these things are correct?

Anyway pics to follow when i get my camera and get it back!

Danny

Daz.
31-05-2006, 21:35
you keeping the valver bottom end old son? or is it just a temp measure?

dannyt
31-05-2006, 21:43
No fella, got a megane one painted up and ready to go in, but now i'm tempted to get the crank polished, and clutch balanced, with new bearings and piston rings for peace of mind, as not 100% sure on the milage of the bottom end, but all bores look ok!

Coops
31-05-2006, 21:43
if u got the cash and the engines in pieces i'd get it done! TETLEY, we dont do things by 'alf :wink:

Martin
31-05-2006, 22:00
Finally got things in motion.... :wink: have you sorted in with Neil to get it whacked in as soon as the heads done..?

Daz.
31-05-2006, 22:27
No fella, got a megane one painted up and ready to go in, but now i'm tempted to get the crank polished, and clutch balanced, with new bearings and piston rings for peace of mind, as not 100% sure on the milage of the bottom end, but all bores look ok!

I likes its!!

Are these the chaps I've heard you talk about before? local to blackpool?

dannyt
01-06-2006, 07:07
Wo wo wo martin, u can't go rushing these things, i've got to get the new cam belt tensioners, and seals all done before it can go in fella, but will be getting hold of Neil as soon as and then we can start the work!

Yer Daz, there over in Blackpool got recommended to them by a few people! Especially after some places were trying to charge me nearly £800 for a head rebuild!!!!!!! :shock: I couldn't believe it!

Danny

northy
01-06-2006, 07:40
good lad danny - lets get u upto williams pace this year. :wink:

2 live
01-06-2006, 07:51
the cams will only fit one way...the dizzy drive is on the exhaust cam.....as for triple edged seats/valves as std...most new cars now are yes.but the head off my williams wasnt...according to me mate who did mine.

u33db
01-06-2006, 16:43
Pics? :)

Swervin_Mervin
01-06-2006, 16:53
Danny, that's the wrong way round re: skimming. Grinding gives a flatter/smoother surface. I checked after mentioning it last time, although tbh it's prolly splitting hairs.

Good luck btw.

VIPERONE
01-06-2006, 19:34
i would for piece of mind have the bottom end checked, especially the big end bearings and crank... also for the price you may as well send hill power a fly wheel for lightening...

in hindsight i would have done alot more things to my engine before dropping it in. lol

richy
01-06-2006, 20:12
good luck danny!

and yes machine grinding gives a better surface then skimming

dannyt
01-06-2006, 23:34
cheers everybody, not heard back from them yet to see if it's all going ok!

gunner, flywheel already weighs 5kg's so not much more can be done with that!

Danny

BenR
02-06-2006, 01:26
Well dropped the head off at Road and Rally today, having the williams cams fitted, pressure tested, valves lapped, head skimmed, cleaned and then fully rebuilt basically!

Also got told whilst i was there, the williams cams are slightly different sizes, is this correct, if so would the bigger one be the inlet or exhaust?

It is better to skim an alloy head than grind as it gives a smoother surface, grinding is better for steel apparently!

Also 16v and williams heads have triple angle valves seat as standard, most moddern engines do supposidly!

Anyway the guys build touring car engines and do a lot of work on cosworth and ford lumps, and seem to know their stuff!

But if anyone disagree's then let me know, as i'd like to know if these things are correct?

Anyway pics to follow when i get my camera and get it back!

Danny

Sorry, i will disagree with the skimming part, it will NEVER give as good a finish as grinding.

When grinding ally you have to use a different type stone as ally does pickup, and you have to grind less at a time. But its still the best method.

Plus i've never seen a steel head or block ;).

dannyt
02-06-2006, 09:41
Not even on a diesal? :wink: