PDA

View Full Version : Whose car was this at FCS on track?

aaronc
30-05-2006, 20:39
Had some good battles with this Mk2 Golf below in williams clio track time, the clio cup 16v was all over it in the corners but on the straight it was pulling fairly well, can't have been a GTI engine in it, anyone know whos it is or what engine was in it?

http://www.urbanimage.tv/fcs/large/10728_fcs06.jpg
http://www.urbanimage.tv/fcs/large/10729_fcs06.jpg
http://www.urbanimage.tv/fcs/large/10730_fcs06.jpg
http://www.urbanimage.tv/fcs/large/10733_fcs06.jpg

Scott-16v!
30-05-2006, 20:43
I think it might be the boyfriend of GrrlJo on here, think it's got a vr6 lump under the bonnet, i might be talking shite though :lol:

GazTwo
30-05-2006, 20:45
It's grrljo's boyfriend (Russ)...running a VR6 engine!!!

Scott-16v!
30-05-2006, 21:01
Thought so, sounded very nice 8)

aaronc
30-05-2006, 22:34
VR6 engine hey? that will explain why it was pulling away on the straight but then i closed up on the corners.

In a staight line it must have a decent power to weight ratio, just a shame it can't corner better, but overall a great little track weapon which certainly surprised me lol

rallyevr6
01-06-2006, 12:38
Hi everyone.

Thats me driving that golf, that is :D

I'm not Russ (the owner and grrljo's other half) but I am Nick, the person that built it after Russ put the money into it and allowed me to build it to my the specs I wanted. And I am allowed to rag the hell out of it. Although I do have to fix it when I brake it :lol:

It is indeed a VR6 running Schrick 268 cams and chip to suit, lightened flywheel and a gearbox running a 3.9 final drive. Standard Final drive is 3.3, this helps acceleration but tops out at 140.....but who drives that fast day to day? 8-[ It hampers 0 - 60 times as I have to shift to 3rd to see 60, but the ratio's are pretty perfect for track use imo. Its also got Mk3 VR6golf Rear axle (converted back to 4 stud) and passat front wish bones/drive shafts that have increase the track by about 60mm front and 50mm rear which has help quite alot through the corners, over the standard car. And of course lowered on fully adjustable coilovers and Eibach ARB's.

I thouht I was catching under braking more than in a striaght line tbh, the Brembo 4 Pots were the first thing on the spec list and they have delievered time and again on track. It was fairly even when I went past you down the straight out of the chicane.

You were definatly quicker than me in the corners, but considering I was using road tyres and I think you were on slicks that is to be expected really. I was struggling like hell to get traction in the long right hander at the far end of the track and in the tight hairpin near the spectators. Seemed to feel like an absolute age before I could get the power down. And the quick chicane (were those pics were taken) I was getting quite a bit of understeer through the left hander.

The addition of Slicks is something that is being seriously considered, but trying to find some that will fit on 16 inch wheels (needed to fit over brakes), and are relatively cheap could proove difficult. And fitting a limited slip diff would probably also help, but a budget is a budget and we'll have to wait and see when/if we go down that route while we seek to dramatically increase power in the coming 12 - 24 months. Need to think more about the upcoming assult of the Ring in the Home land for now.....

I, personally, was very happy with the way the car performed. When I was waiting to go on track, I was expecting you to go past me and disappear into the distance, and to my surprise that wasn't quite how it turned out.

Whast the spec of your car? Is there a thread on here or a page I can have a quick read about it?

Zollo
01-06-2006, 13:30
Whast the spec of your car? Is there a thread on here or a page I can have a quick read about it?

According to Northy, this is the spec of a Clio Cup car...

The Clio cups feature a blueprinted 1.8ltr 16V engine, sealed ECU with a 8k limiter, Renaultsport ‘Williams’ body shell, Renault Sport manual steering, decarbon race suspension, Williams wide track, 4º adjustable race camber, Racing dog bone mounts, straight through Devil race exhaust, Devil roll cage, plumbed in life line fire extinguisher, magnesium speedline wheels, brake scoops, underbody sheilds, removal of reserve fuel tank and i believe choice of induction filter.

Aaron's is road legal though, and (I think) was running normal road tyres that day.

rallyevr6
01-06-2006, 14:20
Aaron's is road legal though, and (I think) was running normal road tyres that day.

Cheers for that zollo.

It looked like they were slicks come off the car after the track session when I was helping grrljo after her car spat its water out everywhere. I could be wrong though :)

Zollo
01-06-2006, 14:32
I didn't actually take a look at the tyres, so if you saw them you're probably in a better position to know! Either way, your (mate's) car was going well from what I saw. Sounded lovely :D

rallyevr6
01-06-2006, 14:44
Thanks. I love the sound of the VR. IMHO the best sounding 4 or 6 cylinder engine out there. But then I'm slightly biased.

Just a couple of little issues on it to solve....the valve guide seals being FUBAR'd and the rear wheels locking under heavy braking. Makes for interesting entery into corners. :lol: Oh, and the weird misfire its developed this week :evil: It doesn't like running with less than 50% throttle

clowo16v
01-06-2006, 15:34
...and thats a problem because? 8)

Matt

rallyevr6
01-06-2006, 16:09
lol.

Its only a problem in traffic.

and VR's are a little bit thirsty :lol:

grrljo
01-06-2006, 17:29
just a little!?!?!? how many times did Russ fill up on Sunday? 3? and I only used 3/4 of a tank! hehe! :lol:

rallyevr6
01-06-2006, 17:49
He didn't fill it up completely 3 times on Sunday.....

Stopped and topped it up at last services on the way to get max ammount in the tank for track sessions.

Then put 1/2 a tank in at that Esso nearby on way home, which somehow dropped to 1/4 tank by the time we hit the motorway (probably cos golf fuel tanks are gay) and then topped it up to just over half way in the services we stopped at for dinner. And it was about 1/4 full when I got home.

So it probably used about 1 and 1/2 tanks (75 litres)in the day. And that did include 2 track hours and 4 0 - 60 runs.

And it did use less water than yours :roll: :lol:

aaronc
01-06-2006, 22:04
Hi rallyevr6,

Nice to meet you, yes you are quite right, my clio was on race spec and on full slicks which is why i was glued to the tarmac round the corners. Indeed i drove it to the event which was certainly interesting but changed the wheels to slicks.

The clio is running around 158/160bhp per ton but does corner like a train round corners but it was a bit rough so could have gone quicker.

Your golf must be good fun though so good on you :D

aaronc
01-06-2006, 22:11
Heres the spec:

Renault Clio 16v Cup - Raced in Renault UK Cup Series.

Chassis Setup - Williams Chassis, 3/4 degrees negative front camber, adjusted front castor, slight toe in adjustment. Weight approx 850kg.

Interior - Sparco FIA Race Seat, Willians 5 point harness, 6 point Devil Cage with rear arch support. Fire exstinguisher plumbed into engine bay & cockpit area. Emergency exterior engine cut off and extingushire release. Race pedals.

Suspension - Decarbon Race Shocks, Dampers & Race springs, with williams track,

Wheels - Lightweight Magnesium Speedline alloys
Tyres - 195/45/15 Slicks / Wets / road going Yoko's

Engine - 'Blueprinted' (lightened internals) FP7 1.8 16v approx 150bhp, upgraded 'Cup' ECU (8000rpm), Open induction. Dual fog light air feed. Full Devil clio race exhaust with decat. No reserve fuel tank